thelogo
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301333942262

Somebody post the photo from this link if they know how

I always thought I would see someone's car with this setup here
Before I saw it anywhere else.

I know dodge experimented with this in the 60 s right

But how viable is this power plant

And how much would be involved in , money wise $$$

To do this installation.. I'm thinkin a lot.

Sleepin
Limo powerplant.
fixer34
I put this in the 'Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it...' category.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 6 2014, 05:41 PM) *

I put this in the 'Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it...' category.

That tank looking thing will need to be upholstered.
It'll be next to your hip and under your elbow.
For 160 HP why bother ?
SLITS
STP Racing pulled it off at the Brickyard.
busmech
There is one problem, the exhaust is going forward as built.
http://www.jetpower.co.uk/gtp70_gallery.htm

I remember having a Car and Driver with a Vette powered by P&W PT6. Built by Granitelle. It idled at 60MPH and at the 1/4 mile left 2 black streeks for 1,200 feet. You can run them on about anything, but this one would not work for a 914 maybe a VW but you would burn the paint off the car behind you.
Elliot Cannon
Chrysler tried it back in the early sixties. They leased them to a few families around the country to try it out. There was one close to my house. And, of course, Leno has one. biggrin.gif
FourBlades

Everyone knows you can't turbine a 914!

biggrin.gif

John
Mike Bellis
I see my next donor motor... idea.gif

I bet it's loud! happy11.gif
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Roads?
Where we're going,we don't need Roads

Gas Turbine generator charges batteries runs electric motors.
Intrinsic losses mount.
Way Neato tho.
Anyone interested in an attempt to do better what Rover and Chrysler did?
Deep pocket develops hole.
New materials available today may make feasible a more efficient turbine and drive.
Mark Henry
A lot easier to do in a front engine car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIFaxA3dj3Y
mapguy
One word: Sandrail. I bet you'd be the only guy at the dunes with one. At least until you sucked sand into the blades.

I wouldn't want to be around for that.

blowup.gif
maf914
Two words: M1 Abram.

From Wikipedia: The M1 Abrams' powertrain comprises a 1,500 shaft horsepower (1,100 kW) Honeywell AGT 1500 (originally made by Lycoming) multi-fuel gas turbine, and a six speed (four forward, two reverse) Allison X-1100-3B Hydro-Kinetic automatic transmission, giving it a governed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) on paved roads, and 30 mph (48 km/h) cross-country. With the engine governor removed, speeds of around 60 mph (97 km/h) are possible on an improved surface; however, damage to the drivetrain (especially to the tracks) and an increased risk of injuries to the crew can occur at speeds above 45 mph (72 km/h). The tank was built around this engine[59] and it is multifuel capable; meaning that it can be powered with diesel, kerosene, any grade of motor gasoline, and jet fuel (such as JP-4 or JP-8). For logistical reasons, JP-8 is the US military's universal fuel powering both aircraft and vehicle fleets. On the other hand, Australian M1A1 AIM SA burn diesel fuel, since the use of JP-8 is less common in the Australian Army.
ripper911
It should fit in a 914.

IPB Image
rgalla9146
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 7 2014, 07:35 AM) *

Two words: M1 Abram.

From Wikipedia: The M1 Abrams' powertrain comprises a 1,500 shaft horsepower (1,100 kW) Honeywell AGT 1500 (originally made by Lycoming) multi-fuel gas turbine, and a six speed (four forward, two reverse) Allison X-1100-3B Hydro-Kinetic automatic transmission, giving it a governed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) on paved roads, and 30 mph (48 km/h) cross-country. With the engine governor removed, speeds of around 60 mph (97 km/h) are possible on an improved surface; however, damage to the drivetrain (especially to the tracks) and an increased risk of injuries to the crew can occur at speeds above 45 mph (72 km/h). The tank was built around this engine[59] and it is multifuel capable; meaning that it can be powered with diesel, kerosene, any grade of motor gasoline, and jet fuel (such as JP-4 or JP-8). For logistical reasons, JP-8 is the US military's universal fuel powering both aircraft and vehicle fleets. On the other hand, Australian M1A1 AIM SA burn diesel fuel, since the use of JP-8 is less common in the Australian Army.

It will require a muffler the size of the car.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

http://www.avonaero.com/garrett70.htm
Two would fit nicely in a helicopter.

A miniature turbine EV has got to be more efficient than a piston engine EV.
mbseto
...until you factor in maintenance costs.
CptTripps
I'd go Electric before I'd go Turbine...

...and I'd likely blow a hobo in a truck-stop bathroom before either.
Dave_Darling
Traditionally, turbine engines have been great with overall power, but horrible with transient response. (And you thought "turbo lag" was bad, "turbine lag" is even worse!) They're also ear-bleeding loud, and produce incredible amounts of heat. Not to mention going through fuel like scotch at an AA meeting.

The up-sides don't seem to be enough to warrant the $$$ investment required to mitigate those down-sides. It'd be cool to be proven wrong on this, though!

--DD
timothy_nd28
That excess heat could be used as a cool snow melt feature
veekry9
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 7 2014, 10:22 AM) *

I'd go Electric before I'd go Turbine...
...and I'd likely blow a hobo in a truck-stop bathroom before either.

Turbines both suck and blow,your spare time recreation is of only cursory interest.
veekry9
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 7 2014, 10:54 AM) *

Traditionally, turbine engines have been great with overall power, but horrible with transient response. (And you thought "turbo lag" was bad, "turbine lag" is even worse!) They're also ear-bleeding loud, and produce incredible amounts of heat. Not to mention going through fuel like scotch at an AA meeting.

The up-sides don't seem to be enough to warrant the $$$ investment required to mitigate those down-sides. It'd be cool to be proven wrong on this, though!

--DD

Research into a lighter more fuel efficient gas turbine is a continuing endeavor,everyone is doing it.A small turbine genset in an EV will come about soon enough,simply because of the weight penalty of piston engines.A 40hp turbine would be sufficient to backup a battery pack for long range use.

http://www.nedra.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t8ble57r24

mute

mapguy
Another fringe benefit for our four season friends:

With proper ducting you could have a very effective defroster.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 7 2014, 10:54 AM) *

--DD

Dave's right. In the Army I had the opportunity (misfortune?) to stand near the back of more than one M1. The heat coming out the exhaust is amazing. They also have to "rev up." The sound they make starting up was pretty bad-ass, though, especially when a whole company of tanks starts firing up.
veekry9
QUOTE(mapguy @ Oct 7 2014, 12:52 PM) *

Another fringe benefit for our four season friends:

With proper ducting you could have a very effective defroster.

Four seasons in California happens too.
Sunny
Sunny Sunny
Sunny Sunny Sunny
Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny

Burning Earth juice at 50% efficiency defrosts everywhere.
Save the Polar bears or the Seals will rule the Arctic

When the girls go out clubbing,
it's like,a totally different meaning.

Click to view attachment
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Turbine 914?
Not that turbine.
It's going cheap because it's timed out and needs maintenance.
Now a 160hp 200lb turboshaft engine may be suitable for a vehicle such as this skimmer.
Looks like the perfect machine to get out to the icepack for the season of the killing.

edwin
Front engine instead?
scotty b
Towle bought it mellow.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 6 2014, 07:38 PM) *

Chrysler tried it back in the early sixties. They leased them to a few families around the country to try it out. There was one close to my house. And, of course, Leno has one. biggrin.gif

When I was a kid, I actually got to ride in one of them! It was so cool. Only sound I heard was the tires. Mechanics Illustrated magazine had run a contest that was really a way to locate potential test owners. Our neighbor was given one for a year. The car did have issues. He gave us a ride just before he had to return it.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 6 2014, 02:02 PM) *

Just looking at this photo, I would guess that the beginning of an exhaust would be at or near the base of the dash. . . Being a more "full figured guy", I guess there would not be room for me in there, or anyone larger than a garden gnome for that matter.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Buffalo

Nah.
Some snow don't blow,they're squeegees for miles of runway in the rainy seasons.
An Air France hydroplaned off the end of the 24L-06R runway into a ravine here in TO.
No casualties,Airbus burned during heavy thunderstorm.
Puddles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_358

Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
Turbines are generally designed to operate at 100% Ng and have their loads altered by means of the drive system.

Because of that, the fuel control isn't sensitive to throttle changes.

The ultimate way to outfit one of these turbines would be through the use of a hydraulic drive system that can vary volume to alter the vehicle speed, so the engine can run at 100% Ng and stay happy.

I've been wanting to install a T58-GE-16 engine into a VW bus for a while now, and I know my way around them really well.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
VW Jet

Click to view attachment
Art Arfons
Green Monster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Arfons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Monster_%28automobile%29

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

Click to view attachment

The Chevy engine block in the ravine below the impact on the mesa wall.
Still a good story.

chads74
I am surprised no one mentioned Jay Leno and his turbine bike. Never embedded video sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9TPB5SzjLs
914werke
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 6 2014, 03:10 PM) *

STP Racing pulled it off at the Brickyard.

Speaking of that car..... biggrin.gif Team STP & the Brothers Dauenhauer pit crew.
veekry9
Turbine! not turban.
In those days the b+w tv showed the amazing STP car dominate the field.
A legacy of wrenching history of the family likely means you had an early start.

Click to view attachment

Thinking,designing,building a car/bike/boat/plane or rocket is the American way.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Massive Thrust
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Oct 9 2014, 08:52 PM) *

Hmmm... 6 Pratt & Whitney j58 turboramjet engines. Could it be the B70? biggrin.gif
veekry9
Winner!!
What an aircraft.
Clint Eastwood made a flick about it.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Oct 9 2014, 09:42 PM) *

Winner!!
What an aircraft.
Clint Eastwood made a flick about it.

Ya, but I was wrong about the engines... GE J93, not P&W J58. You're not thinking "Firefox" are you?
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Yah
that was it
names were changed to avoid hassles.
Ludicrous plotline,entertaining tho.
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IND3eAI3YZk

What a gas.
A turbojet for the salt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.