Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey guys, look what I made
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
I am pretty sure this will look huge so don't get on my case. I wanted to post it to see if someone can proof it. I don't have a place to put it for a link so if an admin wants to help I would appreciate it. The original is in Visio and I would like to layer it into the different circuts. Feedback and proof reading is appreciated.

-Jeff
Dr Evil
Thats the version of Visio that I need to get. I don't have the electrical part. If you look in the resources section under "free electrical resource", I am doing every circuit in the car in the simplest way. I like what you have done. Would you like to post this to my resource thread? It would help.
scruz914
Mike,

I have seen your resource thread. It was sort of the tirgger that got me going on this. That plus I am thinking about how to redesign the relay board to use a standard regulator, soft shell connectors, and maybe solid state relays (if they can be done efficiently). Sure I will post the diagram on your resource thread but I want to have someone proof read it first. I would also like to clean it up some more so it converts to a bitmap a little better.

Regarding Visio. I am using the plain old standard version and templates. I created the wire colors as patterns so any line can be drawn in the real colors. I also drew the relay and regulator and grouped the objects into a single image for copying and sizing. I would be happy to share.

-Jeff
skline
Hey Mike, I told you I got what you need. We just never got the chance to get it to you. When you coming up this way again?
DNHunt
That is really cool. I'm sure I'll be looking at it a bunch

Dave
Howard
Jeff, thanks. One my tired old eyes can actually read. This should be saved in the FTP section.
Dr Evil
Scott,
if you can get it to Aaron, he is coming down tomarrow. I will likely need to come up there anyway to have you resolve my issues with the Mega Jolt software (yo no hablo).
jd74914
the diagram is much better in color than black and right IPB Image

congrats, its really nice IPB Image IPB Image
bperry
Really nice! The problem with the factory wiring diagram picture is
that they didn't label where the colored wires went and its a real pain
to track them down.

A few things you may want to look at.
Perhaps label the connectors? T4, T12, T14
Label the Fuse? S13
Add "to Alternator" on the 3 wires (red, brown, green) below the regulator
Did notice what looks like typos:
T14-3 should be backup light switch not brake light switch
T14-4 should be backup lights not brake liights.
T12-4 should be backup lights not backup light switch

Perhaps grey out T12-3 if it really is a no connect.

The only thing I miss in this drawing is the actual orientation
of the pins on the relays & sockets, but its not too hard to figure out by
looking at the bottom of the relay.
Overall, it's definitely an improvement.
---

What's funny is I've always had both fuses in my relay board.
The front fuse (the one not shown in your picture) powers T12-9
but I can't find where T12-9 goes. Tomorrow I'll have to crack open
the connector in my car and see if it really is a no connect.

I going to do the same for T16-6 and T12-3

Looks really nice! IPB Image

--- Bill
SirAndy
so, what's wrong with the factory color diagrams ???? IPB Image

nice work, but ........ why?
IPB Image Andy
SpecialK
I'd like to know which version of Visio you used also. I tried to make my "custom homebuilt" wiring diagrams on MultiSimm (too "electronics") and MS Paint (too....well, MS Paint), because my color codes won't be exactly to spec when it's done. It won't be such a problem for me since I'm making the wire harness.........more for the poor bastard that inherits the '73 after it puts me in the ground.
gregrobbins
Nice job, thanks for posting.
BigD9146gt
Nice drawing! IPB Image
Even thought the stock drawings will suffice, its always nice to have a complete printout with all the labels right on the wires and relays... makes for a faster search.

Heres a wiring diagram i made (i don't think this is the completed version though), of a wiring diagram i made for my 73 914... inwhich i installed a complete dash, gauges, steering column and switches, front wiring harness, and fuse panel all from a 70 911. I first did it all out on paper, then moved it over to Microsoft Paint... It took along time, but it does the job. You can never have enough wiring diagrams!

IPB Image t.
SpecialK
You did that with MS Paint? Very nice!! IPB Image

Mine looked like CRAP using Paint.......hmmmm, maybe I'll try it again.....without the beer and socially unacceptable substances this time.

How long did you spend on it?
BigD9146gt
Thanks Kevin,

Honestly i have no idea how long it took, if i had to guess i'd say an hour a night for 2-3 weeks. The thing about MS paint was how simple it is, you cannot get really techincal with it. For the wires, i made them 2 pixels wide (its a bit map to start with). For the long stripped wires, i would make a short section and copy/paste over and over for the lenght. i'll post a closer up pic later.
scruz914
Thanks for all the comments.

Howard,
I am not aware of an FTP section on the forum. Where is it and do you know the guidelines for posting to it?

Bill,
Thanks for the feedback. Good idea expanding the labels on the connectors. I took the source/destination descriptions of the wires from a previous posting. I'll check them out. I originally drew the pins/sockets for the relays but switched to the relay diagram. I agree that the pin layouts are more valuable so I'll switch back.

Andy,
Why? Why not? I picked up my relay board today (it is currently out of the car) and said to it, "relay board, I know you so much better now". One thing that jumped out at me while doing the drawing is that power to the fuel pump via the relay goes through the FI terminals. For those that have gone to carbs the fuel pump wire in the harness will not be live. The relay board is a mystery to some (like me) and the diagram helps de-mystify it.

Kevin,
I am using Visio2000. If you (or anyone else) wants the the template for the wire patterns, I am willing to share.

And finally, BigD,
Damn! You did that in Paint?????!!!!! You have major patience!

I'll be working on cleaning up the diagram over the next week and repost to Mike's resource thread.

-Jeff
SirAndy
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jan 29 2005, 11:16 PM)
One thing that jumped out at me while doing the drawing is that power to the fuel pump via the relay goes through the FI terminals.  For those that have gone to carbs the fuel pump wire in the harness will not be live.

yupp, that's why i have been telling people for month now that all they need to do to use the stock fuel-pump wires (and relay) is to ground out one pin from the FI connector and the circuit will work just fine.
no need to run separate wire or (worse) run it off the coil.

if you do a carb conversion, use the stock harness and relay for the FP, it's EASY ...
IPB Image Andy
sixnotfour
if you do a carb conversion, use the stock harness and relay for the FP, it's EASY ...
Andy

IPB Image Then they all wanted to delete the relay board. IPB Image
dknechtly
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to say this diagram was a huge help chasing out my latest gremlins. Much better than my old marked up Haynes manual!
GregAmy
What version of Visio is this? I need to draw up my Microsquirt diagrams before I forget what all my little notes mean...
Literati914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 28 2005, 07:20 PM) *

... If you look in the resources section under "free electrical resource", I am doing every circuit in the car in the simplest way. ..

Is there still a "resources" section - I can find it and would like to see what's out there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.