Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway bar change mid 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jmkorfha
Does anyone know what the change was in the front sway bar in mid 1974? I have tried searching to no avail. Words would be great, pictures fantastic. I ask only out of curiosity. I believe that the 911s mounted the bar low around that time.(?)
bdstone914
Does anyone know what the change was in the front sway bar in mid 1974? I have tried searching to no avail. Words would be great, pictures fantastic. I ask only out of curiosity. I believe that the 911s mounted the bar low around that time.(?)

I think all front sway bars are the same. 911 Went to an under body sway Bar in 74. Completely did decent bar.
Luke M
As far as I know there's no change in the way the bar mounts to a 914.
70 - 76 the front bar goes/mounts through the chassis under the gas tank.
Only difference is the rear mount bracket from 70-74 then changed in 75-76.

The 911 front is all different as the early cars where through the chassis then switched to the under car mount. I don't recall the year it switched over but maybe 75 ?
Jmkorfha
The reason I'm curious is that the non stock style Addco sway bar kits for the front changes in mid 74. The rear is the same for all years. Addco bars tempting at only $130 each. Anyone used one?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jmkorfha @ Oct 12 2014, 03:17 PM) *

Addco bars tempting at only $130 each. Anyone used one?

They work great on my pickup, however I've never tried them on anything else. Have them in the front & rear, & they made a world of difference in the trucks handling.
kid914
Thanks for the heads up. I just looked them up. interested as well at that price.
popcorn[1].gif
McMark
Stock front sway bars were the same on all years.
Jmkorfha
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 12 2014, 03:19 PM) *

Stock front sway bars were the same on all years.

I have also concluded the same. As I have been researching this afternoon, I see that the Addco bar is mounted under the front like the 75 and later 911s. I am guessing that the lower cover is different after the fuel pump move? Perhaps the later addco bar has to miss the different cover where the through the body stock bar is unchanged.
McMark
I wouldn't buy either of the sways bars listed (PN 114 or 167).
Jmkorfha
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 12 2014, 03:54 PM) *

I wouldn't buy either of the sways bars listed (PN 114 or 167).

Ya, it's definately a bastardization. Wouldn't want to install them on any car that is near original.
maf914
Here the installation instructions for the Addco 167 front sway bar. Check the bracket and method used at the A-arm drop link connection. No thanks.

Years ago, I installed Addco bars on a 1992 Nissan and was pleased with the results, but I don't like the looks of the 914 installation. On the Jegs link, click on the instructions tab.

http://addco.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/u...2012/03/167.pdf

http://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/114/10002/...arentProductId=

Also check the instructions for the rear bar, Addco 974. The attachment to the rear trailing arm is interesting.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/974/10002/...arentProductId=
Jmkorfha

The attachment is certainly a more "common" attachment and may actually be more compact than the line drawing seems.
I wonder what it does for clearance.
Also, if it stresses the control arm bushings with side to side force.
Seems like it should be easy to engineer a better attachment.
How does the 75 911 attach at the control arms?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.