Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 901 REBUILD--Dr Evil style!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
Well-

Bought Dr. Evil's Tranny DVDs...... I thought I was going to get some kinky information, but it turned out to be a great reference video for people like myself!...

I have no connection between my hands/mechanical dexterity, yet, I think I have lots of mental power... so I hear... confused24.gif

Anyway-
I am in the process to being mentored by a great friend in this website, Greg.
We are using Dr Evils DVD as a training course.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR A DONOR 901 TRANSMISSION (Side Shifter is what we have now).[u] w00t.gif

Please, email me at anacfez@hotmail.com or respond to this post if you have one for sale or any other tools or gadgets that may help with the rebuild. welder.gif

Also, time to chime in and advise on what you would include/consider doing--we will probably get into the delrin bushings and maybe clutch depending on what we find.

Please let me know your price/pictures are welcomed!

We are in LA/Sand Diego/Riverside counties--thus I can drive as needed to pick up tranny.

By the way--Great JOB Dr Evil!!! Remind me where I can get your PDF files and any other reference sheets.

R8CER X : driving.gif
race914
Hey, I loved Dr Evils DVD as well!

Cool you are all jazzed. Wait until you get into changing out gear ratios then the fun goes ballistic!

My best advice is to check out the classifieds here, TheSamba.com, eBay, or Craigslist.org for a used trans.

Best Wishes on your project, and be sure to document your rebuild and post pics here!

aktion035.gif
hblyle
I'm in Huntington and have a tail shift 901 I will donate if you want to come pick it up! Message me if you're interested?
R8CERX
Looking forward to it!

talking about gear ratios-

so, got a 2.7 RS engine in the car now--

first gear is too low

what ratio combination would you recommend for a taller gear? so I can use first...

blink.gif

QUOTE(race914 @ Oct 15 2014, 11:38 AM) *

Cool you are all jazzed. Wait until you get into changing out gear ratios then the fun goes ballistic!

My best advice is to check out the classifieds here, TheSamba.com, eBay, or Craigslist.org for a used trans.

Best Wishes on your project, and be sure to document your rebuild and post pics here!

aktion035.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(hblyle @ Oct 15 2014, 12:09 PM) *

I'm in Huntington and have a tail shift 901 I will donate if you want to come pick it up! Message me if you're interested?

Thanks!
PM sent!

piratenanner.gif
race914
This might help. Check out the member gear set library.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79893

QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 15 2014, 07:14 PM) *

Looking forward to it!

talking about gear ratios-

so, got a 2.7 RS engine in the car now--

first gear is too low

what ratio combination would you recommend for a taller gear? so I can use first...

blink.gif

QUOTE(race914 @ Oct 15 2014, 11:38 AM) *

aktion035.gif

Dave_Darling

first gear is too low

If you use a taller first, the gap to second will be very small. To change second, you either need a specific mainshaft with the gear you want on it, or the $$$$ 904 mainshaft. That's because the standard 2nd gear is actually a part of the mainshaft.

The easiest thing to do by far is to just skip first gear and start out in second.

--DD
R8CERX
Got it!!
thanks

what about starting on decod--clutch will wear out faster--any clutch you would recommend to use that will take the second gear start?

should I even consider a racing clutch?

at this point, the car is only for the track

popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2014, 09:41 AM) *

first gear is too low

If you use a taller first, the gap to second will be very small. To change second, you either need a specific mainshaft with the gear you want on it, or the $$$$ 904 mainshaft. That's because the standard 2nd gear is actually a part of the mainshaft.

The easiest thing to do by far is to just skip first gear and start out in second.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.