Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB - Improved tail cone speedo drive with additional seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
This is a service that McMark had been doing for some time. It adds an additional sealing surface to the speedo drive bushing by cutting a channel in the OEM part. It required you to send in yours and he had to have a few to make it worth while, so it took a little time to get these together.

After speaking with him regarding this, we came to an arrangement, that would allow for new ones to be on the shelf for those that need them at the shop, or just want a local pick up. So you can buy from him or I will also stock on my site. Either way, it's better than the exchange program.

And by the way the OEM non modified part is over $150.

For those of you that are not quite sure what the significance of this is, it adds the extra seal to eliminate the nagging drip off the speedo angle drive.
It comes with the 2 o-ring seals and the internal drive seal.

These will be up on the site shortly to allow to combine with any other GB's Bump if you want to be notified when up.

Also one of those while you're down there with the clutch cable jobs.
Mikey914
The process is pretty straight forward. However you will need to change your trans fluid, or at least strain if you have done so recently. As this is in a low point submerged in the trans fluid.

Once the old one is removed allow 30 min for it to drain.
Take the old geared shaft from the removed unit, as well as the washer and set aside.

Put the shaft into the new bushing, and set it as the base.
Mikey914
Take the seal shown (the bottom side is shown) and set onto the shaft.
Mikey914
Lubricate, I used WD40 as it's not real messy. Then using a socket (I used 13mm, but a 12 is a little closer) Gently tap the seal into place. It is a tight fit, but once seated is very difficult to remove.
Mikey914
Don't forget to replace reinstall the aluminum washer. These are $9 from Porsche so don't loose it.
Mikey914
Once you have the gear and seal in you can install so that the hole in the unit lines up with the bolt hole in the tail cone assembly.
I did use WD40 to install as it is a tight fit.

Mikey914
PLEASE NOTE -
You do not have to take off the tail cone assembly to do this. I happened to have an extra part so it was easy to show this.

However if you do wish to I have the tail cone gaskets only for $5 on the site.

I have one last GB to list, and then I will be adding to the site, so bump if you are a +1, I'll notify everyone on the thread.

Thanks all!
Cap'n Krusty
I can tell you that this WORKS! I've bought several of them from McMark and used them to fix transaxles that have suffered from years, if not decades, of speedo drive leaks. This should be part of every 914 trans overhaul, or even "freshening up".

The Cap'n
pilothyer
Remind me for 2 of these.
walterolin
One.
McMark
Thanks for taking this over Mark. No more cores to deal with now! smile.gif
GermermanCarGuy
One please.
restore2seater
Put me down for one.
carr914
I want 3 Please!
Java2570
Put me down for one, please!
Dtjaden
I'll go for one!
kid914
So this is for trannies? 901- 915?

confused24.gif blink.gif
Mikey914
911- 1965-1973
914 all
It's equivalent to part # 901.318.243.12

I believe it's a 901 only
wes
+1 for me
I need 1 of these plus in on Badge buy also....
matt_o_70
+1 I need to fix.

Matt
Mikey914
All PM's sent
EdwardBlume
I'll take one of these too...
Zimms
In for one.
Mikey914
Bump for Rhodyguy
914_3.0
Love mine!! No more drips on the floor!! Thanks again McMark laugh.gif
rhodyguy
Thanks mark.

K
larryM

+1 for me too

MartyYeoman
Count me in for one too.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 25 2014, 04:15 PM) *

This is a service that McMark had been doing for some time. It adds an additional sealing surface to the speedo drive bushing by cutting a channel in the OEM part. It required you to send in yours and he had to have a few to make it worth while, so it took a little time to get these together.

After speaking with him regarding this, we came to an arrangement, that would allow for new ones to be on the shelf for those that need them at the shop, or just want a local pick up. So you can buy from him or I will also stock on my site. Either way, it's better than the exchange program.

And by the way the OEM non modified part is over $150.

For those of you that are not quite sure what the significance of this is, it adds the extra seal to eliminate the nagging drip off the speedo angle drive.
It comes with the 2 o-ring seals and the internal drive seal.

These will be up on the site shortly to allow to combine with any other GB's Bump if you want to be notified when up.

Also one of those while you're down there with the clutch cable jobs.

I need in one please
914werke
One please
SLITS
One here please
Java2570
beer.gif Just got mine in the mail today! Thanks Mark & 914 Rubber for being such a great vendor for our 914's!!
carr914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 26 2014, 08:09 PM) *

All PM's sent

I never heard from you!
FL000
+1 for me
Tedman5
PM sent. +1 plus something else. Lol
abes914
+1 please. and thanks for doing this.
MartyYeoman
Am I waiting for comformation?
Mikey914
PM's sent to all so far.
I did a generic form letter to all with a link. As there are several other item you may wish to combine to save some money on shipping.

Thanks
Mark
Daiberl
Add me for 2 please.
lonewolfe
I'd like one please!
spaceshuttle
I would like a couple.
Thanks
Mikey914
PM's sent to all THX
914bub
If it's not too late,I'd like one also.
JamesM
i am down for a couple
DMCF1Fast
I'd like one also if still available. PM'd you.
Thanks,
David
hcdmueller
I will take one too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.