Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am doing a 5 lug conversion and have hit a problem.

I started to remove the CV joint from the transmission flange in order to remove the half shaft and stub axle. Unfortunately 2 of the pan head screws that hold the CV joint to the transmission flange have stripped so that the tool (allen key) just rotates in the screw head.

Anyone got an effective way to get these screws out?

Thanks
914Sixer
Large vise grips.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 27 2014, 04:09 PM) *

Large vise grips.

agree.gif Also they shouldn't be allen key, you need a triple square bit.
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2014, 05:15 PM) *

Large vise grips.

agree.gif I got one at my flaps for a couple dollars but tangerine racing sells one that looks nice.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 27 2014, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2014, 05:15 PM) *

Large vise grips.

agree.gif I got one at my flaps for a couple dollars but tangerine racing sells one that looks nice.

Got my socket from Tangerine Racing. Good Quality. http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

TC's Garage has new bolts: http://www.tcsgarage.com/store/N0147152...LT+914+12-point

You need to use NEW schorr washers. http://www.tcsgarage.com/store/99952310301...ED+FOR+CV+BOLTS
DavidSweden
Thanks for the feedback. I thought the screws were allen that probably explains why the heads stripped.

Live and learn

rjames
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Oct 27 2014, 03:28 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback. I thought the screws were allen that probably explains why the heads stripped.

Live and learn

You won't be the first, and the right tool might still allow you to remove them. Vice grips will work, too. smile.gif

You can convert to bolts with allen heads if you wish. There is at least one vendor here selling them.
altitude411
Also, make sure you clean the heads out very well and lightly tap the spline tool into the head before wrenchin on 'em.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2014, 02:15 PM) *

Large vise grips.

I'm gonna give you a one-time Krustypass, Garold. For once and for all (like I really believe that!), early cars came with 6mm Allen head CV joint bolts. Nothing anybody parrots here is gonna go back and change that. There are STILL cars out there with those bolts, like it or not. Large Vise Grips or channel lock pliers won't fit in there, either ...

If the bolts that stripped are truly 6mm Allen socket head hardware, driving a good quality 8mm triple square tool will often be enough to remove the damaged bolt. Always clean out the cavity BEFORE inserting the tool. If that won't do it, then you need a pair of 10" (I think) curved jaw channel locks. I guarantee they'll do the job, as others here can attest.

The Cap'n
bdstone914
If you do have actual 6mm Allen head bolts and have stripped them you way be able to get a 1/4 inch Allen wrench in there as it is a few thousands larger.
Very important to get the wrench in all the way to the bottom. Tap in in with a hammer.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 27 2014, 05:59 PM) *

Large vise grips.

I'm gonna give you a one-time Krustypass, Garold. For once and for all (like I really believe that!), early cars came with 6mm Allen head CV joint bolts. Nothing anybody parrots here is gonna go back and change that. There are STILL cars out there with those bolts, like it or not. Large Vise Grips or channel lock pliers won't fit in there, either ...

Fine Crusty I bow to your greatness bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif But I will argue all day long that you can use vise grips to remove the bolts at the transmission flange.
r_towle
When you are really screwed, go to the cheap tool store and buy a set of Torx bits and hammer one in there, that will get it out.
The torx bit could be ruined after this, so don't buy a nice one.
914itis
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2014, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 27 2014, 05:59 PM) *

Large vise grips.

Fine Crusty I bow to your greatness bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif But I will argue all day long that you can use vise grips to remove the bolts at the transmission flange.

I have
Cap'n Krusty
THIS is the tool that works:

Click to view attachment

Quick and dirty. Channel Lock NutbusterĀ® Tongue and Groove Plier, 9-1/2"

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 28 2014, 01:19 AM) *

THIS is the tool that works:

Quick and dirty. Channel Lock NutbusterĀ® Tongue and Groove Plier, 9-1/2"

The Cap'n

agree.gif I haven't had to resort to that yet, but if the bolts were torqued correctly, they're only held on with 33 ft/lbs. A good pair of channel locks should be the trick.

No matter how old the bolts are, every time I remove them though I always do as others suggested and clean out the inside of the bolt head both with a pick and then with brake cleaner to get full engagement of the triple square socket.
altitude411
DavidSweden
Tried the torx didnt work guess I stripped them too much.
I cut the heads of with a small angle grinder.

CVs now removed thanks for taking the time to help

pilothyer
Sounds like you doubled your pleasure, cut the heads off, then use vice grips to remove the remains. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
If the tranny was out you can undo the big hub nut and pull everything out in one shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.