Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shifter leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
I bought this -6 conversion project on Ebay too many years ago. It finally got off jackstands and I filled the transmission with GL-5. The next morning I found a good sized puddle under the shift rod. It wasn't the first "au krappe" moment for this project.

Click to view attachment

So I drained the oil. I would like to have saved it but it was getting too complicated...

Click to view attachment
eyesright
Pull the bolt and tap the roll pin with a punch.

Click to view attachment

And here is another "au krappe" moment.

Click to view attachment
eyesright
So I can either lower the transmission or loosen the header...that seems like the better idea. Now, pull the seal.

Click to view attachment

Now let's see, where did I put the seal and gasket? Oh yeah, there they are.

Click to view attachment
eyesright
Tap in the seal...

Click to view attachment

Slide the rod back in...

Click to view attachment
eyesright
Tap the roll pin back in...

Click to view attachment

The view from below...Click to view attachment
eyesright
A DAPO is one who can't use a paper gasket but can use a full tube of Permatex...D'oh!

Click to view attachment

So, clean up the krap, put on the new paper gasket, and its time to button up.

Click to view attachment
eyesright
I tightened up the header and added fresh GL-5. Remember this 17mm screw has a pipe thread so don't try to bottom it out. Just get it hand tight, its not going anywhere.

Click to view attachment

I had to read the manuals and incubate this for a few days before I decided I could do this. The next time will be easy. Notice I bought two seals and gaskets...And if I can do it, anybody can.

Now, on to the next chore.
JawjaPorsche
Great Job! Pictures really help. beerchug.gif
cpavlenko
That just looked to simple, great job. beerchug.gif also, great pictures.
Cap'n Krusty
An admin needs to move this to the classic threads forum.

The Cap'n
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 29 2014, 08:56 PM) *

An admin needs to move this to the classic threads forum.

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Even I could do this repair following this well documented guide!
zipedadoo
Wish I had seen this before I did mine.........I didn't know about or see that bolt to access the roll pin. Would have made it so much easier.
boxsterfan
But were you able to get the header back on? popcorn[1].gif
eyesright
QUOTE(zipedadoo @ Oct 30 2014, 11:27 AM) *

Wish I had seen this before I did mine.........I didn't know about or see that bolt to access the roll pin. Would have made it so much easier.

Hmmm, that sounded intriguing so today I uncovered my '72 and looked at the shifter rod housing. It is leaking also and ...NO BOLT! I was a little suspicious the other day because the bolt had been shortened with a hack saw. Sooo, some DAPO, wisely perhaps, had drilled and tapped this roll pin access hole just to make my job easier, do you s'pose?

Click to view attachment

Anyway, I figured it would be leaking which is why I bought two seals and gaskets, but this job will be a bit of a chore getting the roll pin out.

Dr. Evil or any others, have you seen this roll pin hole before? Seems like a good idea....
Dr Evil
Nope, that bolt is new to me, but a nice mod.

You can put the trans in gear and it will give you a shot at the roll pin without having to take off the tail cone. Remove the shift rod and you can rotate the internal rod a little more.

That seal was nashtay. Excellent write up with picks, too bad everyone doesnt have that hole/bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.