Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a new to me Mid Rise Lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Hey Guys...

Got the V8 Conversion car back a couple weeks ago... now I got a new to me Mid Rise Lift... biggrin.gif

Like this one:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogI...LFBK_0117926436

So here is the question...

Since our cars are so low, do I first need to roll it up on some 2X10s to add ground clearance?

I know its a dumb question, but I don't have the lift until Monday. So, if I need some "ramps" so I can use it right away; I can get them beforehand....

Thanks for your help in advance...

Steve
Harpo
Most people simply put down 2x10 and then build a small ramp. The best way is to cut out your concrete and recess the lift into the concrete. I believe that Elliot did his this way

David
quadracerx
Cutting a hole in the concrete is not possible... So ramps it is... Do I need one 2X10 or two stacked together...?

Im thinking 2X12X12 Long or 2X12X14 Long then 2X12X10... So I can first roll it up on the base 2X then up on to the top one?

What do you think... I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do this but... Whatever it takes...

Thanks again

Steve
Cap'n Krusty
I had a very similar lift we bought from Sanpper.

A single 2x8 on each side should be fine. Mine had 2' thick hard rubber pads that you could put between the lift arms and the car (mostly on the pinch weld for my purposes). I would probably use 6" pieces of 2x4 for that, and support a 914 by the nubs on the bottom. Bevel the 2x8 on one end so you can get the car up on the planks.

The Cap'n
GaroldShaffer
I made ramps with a removable center so I could swing the lift arms in place. Clearance wasn't an issue with stock ride height 914, but with my lowered 70 I needed the ramps.
quadracerx
How long were the main boards you used?

How wide?

That was just what I was looking for, I have a highly modified V8 car that at its lowest point is about 3.5 inches of ground clearance....Maybe slightly less...

So I need to build this before I do anything...

Thanks again...

Steve
rhodyguy
are the ramp supports one piece of metal that wrap around from the bottom? clever setup.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Nov 8 2014, 04:04 PM) *

How wide?

That was just what I was looking for, I have a highly modified V8 car that at its lowest point is about 3.5 inches of ground clearance....Maybe slightly less...

Thanks again...

Steve

THAT makes a difference. One thickness is gonna be too close, I think. Getting it up 3 inches would be better, 4.5 better yet.

The Cap'n
BK911
Awesome purchase. Couldn't imagine life without one now. Go to pp and search for scissor lift. Dozens of threads on various ramp styles.
jeeperjohn56
I had to use 2-2x10s 12ft long and stagger the top by a foot so that I could drive up onto the top board nail the two boards so that they don"t move when driving up onto them, after the the rear tires pass the top board I would stop before rolling out at the front. John
quadracerx
That was my plan too John...

Thanks...

Steve
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 8 2014, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Nov 8 2014, 04:04 PM) *

How wide?

Thanks again...

Steve

THAT makes a difference. One thickness is gonna be too close, I think. Getting it up 3 inches would be better, 4.5 better yet.

The Cap'n

That's what she said, but the numbers were ......ummm.....different
Highland
Click to view attachment

This is my setup. Stock car with Harbor Freight mid rise lift. I used 2X10's at first, but I had trouble driving on them on a regular basis. These boards are cheap and 16" wide from Home Depot.

I do remove the rubber pads though, otherwise they may hit part of the front suspension depending on how centered one parks.
quadracerx
Hey Guys...

Ok, got the lift home and setup in the garage. Stock height 914 barely clears height wise.... And I cant move the lift arms into position with the car over the lift...

So now its off to the lumber yard for 2X12's for material for ramps...

All good... I was expecting this.. Ill post some photos once I get the ramps built.... Probably be a weekend project.

Steve
siverson
> I made ramps with a removable center

Interesting, I put my lift in facing the other direction. I wonder if it matters...

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 4 2015, 09:34 PM) *

> I made ramps with a removable center

Interesting, I put my lift in facing the other direction. I wonder if it matters...

I would think maybe the lifting rams would be in the way if you want to do a engine drop? confused24.gif Plus you would have to drive over the hose to the pump.
GeorgeRud
I used some 2x3 studs covered with 3/4" plywood to make my ramps. That made them lighter than solid wood ramps but still plenty strong, and the attached handles allow me to move them out of the way if desired.

The idea of using the plastic sheeting under the wheels is a great idea as well.

I just wish I had purchased this lift many years ago.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.