Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kevin@ojai.net
For my Fluid Metallurgy class I get to make up some molds and cast a few parts. Does any one have any ideas of parts for the teener that could be cast?

-Kevin
sj914
Foglight/horn grill
ArtechnikA
2,0 cylinder heads ...
nein14-6
How about the cross bar for the front suspension
machina
the 4-cyl motor mount bar. the stock iron unit weighs a ton.
ChrisFoley
I wouldn't trust the suspension mounting or the engine support to a cast part.
914efi
The headlight grilles are a good idea except that you need left and right.
URY914
A personal fav of mine would be a outside door handle "flapper" piece, the piece that pivots when you pull on the handle is no longer being sold.

Paul
Brando
If you're going to do an engine bar... any way you can do high-pressure injection molding, or forging? Might almost be better to mill one out of high-grade aluminum...
greg.treadway
You mean this door flap?

IPB Image
Click here for more info...
914werke
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jan 31 2005, 05:15 AM)
I wouldn't trust the suspension mounting or the engine support to a cast part.

Isnt the Frt. x-bar off of the later taildrager cast allready?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Jan 31 2005, 03:44 PM)
Isnt the Frt. x-bar off of the later taildra[g]ger cast already?

from '73[-ish] on, yup.

that's a much less critical item, tho, end even those flex in normal service.
Carlitos Way
oil filler neck, gas cap, off the top of my head. Don't shoot me if these won't work. I have NO IDEA what can be cast or not.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sj914 @ Jan 31 2005, 02:53 AM)
Foglight/horn grill

please do this!!!
Rog914
Something simple like the center visor mount w/steel pin but make sow you can adapt or bolt-on a new style rear veiw mirrow. Maybe even one of those electronic day/night type.

Something to think about.

Ralph
jd74914
oil filler neck, gas cap, off the top of my head. Don't shoot me if these won't work. I have NO IDEA what can be cast or not

IPB Image A gas cap would be cool. IPB Image So would an oil filler cap
Mueller
here you go.....make an aluminum clutch line wheel:

sorry, I cannot find a larger picture.....

how do plan on making the mold? need a STP file?

So would an oil filler cap (only problem is the dipstick)

what kind of motor do you have?? those are 2 totally different parts, one should not affect the other ?????
davep
I have actually considered this a bit. I just had a tool made up to take the nuts off of the front struts that hold the shock in place. It was very expensive to machine. A cast tool may be strong enough. Also one for the ball joint nut. I can make up the part in plastic no problem. I'd have to know the shrink rate though to make it the proper size.
spunone
What type of mold Sand cast or what if sand cast part is'nt go IPB Image nna be pretty
Mueller
how about center caps for the 4-lug Fuchs and Mahles?? instead of just a plain cap, have 914 cast into it???
jd74914
what kind of motor do you have?? those are 2 totally different parts, one should not affect the other ?????

LOL, I'm really tired. Its fixed now IPB Image

I like the 914 center caps idea, that would be sweet
spunone
Yeah center caps sounds very cool IPB Image
Mueller
I like the 914 center caps idea, that would be sweet

Yeah center caps sounds very cool

i've got 2 set sold for you already...what kind of royalties should I expect?? LOL
bperry
How about
- an actual small scale model of the car itself - like the chocolate ones.

- 5 bolt style hubcap center adapter for the factory 4 bolt Fuchs
Would sit between the hubcap and the wheel to give a slight
outward extension / add clearence for the front hubs.

--- bill
Kevin@ojai.net
Cool ideas -- keep 'em coming.

I'm probably going to make a wood pattern, either on the cnc or manually -- it depends on what I want to make. I wouldn't want to make anything "structural" where you or the car could get f-d up if the part failed (like an engine bar).

Mike: send me the file and I'll take a look...
I like the idea of the center cap for the Fuchs -- that could look cool all polished up or powdercoated!
Weren't the original grills plastic? Why would you want them aluminum -- it would be heavier!
I also thought making little 914 keychain toys might be fun, but it would kinda be a PIA to do, and have them come out nice.

-Kevin
McMark
A scale model of a fuch wheel as a cool paper weight. IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 31 2005, 03:43 PM)
A scale model of a fuch wheel as a cool paper weight. IPB Image

I was going to suggest that as well, thought I was the only one goofy enough to want one IPB Image

you could turn it into a business card holder.........
914werke
How about Brake carrier hubs IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
ZachP
Angelina Jolie
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Russian019 @ Jan 31 2005, 09:41 PM)
Angelina Jolie

speaking of which, i note that 'Gia" is now out on unrated DVD ...
if you should happen to like that sort of thing :-)
IronHillRestorations
How about a 916 transmission tail housing? Last I heard Velios Co. went toes up.
URY914
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Jan 31 2005, 12:26 PM)
You mean this door flap?

IPB Image
Click here for more info...

Sorry, I saw Pelican didn't sell them any more.
Gee, would I want to risk ordering from AA? IPB Image
Brent
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 31 2005, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (sj914 @ Jan 31 2005, 02:53 AM)
Foglight/horn grill

please do this!!!

Please do this!!!! Plastic grills ...that cost nos about $250 for the pair at least.
SpecialK
Shift knob with 914 logo.......of course, if you left your top off in the sun it would be more of a branding iron than a shift knob. IPB Image

Center caps.....yeah, center caps. IPB Image
Brent
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 31 2005, 10:42 PM)
Shift knob with 914 logo.......of course, if you left your top off in the sun it would be more of a branding iron than a shift knob. IPB Image

...would cast al get that hot in the sun??? I'm down for a 914 brand! The question would be where I would / could put it IPB Image
Kevin@ojai.net
If some one sends me either a solid file, a sketch, or the actual part of the horn/light grills I'll take a look and see if I can do them. My teener is not available, and my grills were only horn, not fog light/horn grills.

-Kevin
Brent
Sweet. I will peruse my pics I have on file. Thats the best I can do. My poor grills would not be suitable for display on this site IPB Image IPB Image
Brent
I found nothing dammit! However IPB Image ...I did find some nice pics on the Pelican catalog. I have mine in storage, so maybe I will take some pics and post several angles and take some measurements.

Anyone have a sacrificial one they can send in for the cause???? Then you can take a straight cast.
Pelican grill1
Pelican Grill 2
SpecialK
QUOTE (Brent @ Jan 31 2005, 11:45 PM)
[/QUOTE]
...would cast al get that hot in the sun???

In Missouri it does....that's why I keep my beer in a cooler IPB Image (okay.....beer cans aren't "cast" aluminum until they're empty! IPB Image )
Brent
I'll drink to that! IPB Image

With a brand, maybe I could get mistaken for an Omega..... maybe not.
SpecialK
Not sure what an "Omega" is.........but that sure is a cute Avatar you're sportin' there (and that's not the beer talkin' IPB Image )

Oh crap, the O.T. police are going to get me IPB Image .......yeah, 914 shift knob!
bperry
Another idea:.

- Seat Adjuster handles. The only replacements I've seen have been nylon.

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.