Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
hello all i finally have a garage so i can start tearing into the 914. i have had problems with the fuel pump cutting out when its hot out(50 degrees or less it runs fine)i have taken out the gas tank which was full of dirt and debris and cleaned it. under the car right behind the fuel filter (where i would assume the pump should be) i found what has been making the rattling noise.... is this some kind of aftermarket fuel pump? i does not look like one i have ever seen.can anyone help me out?
CAR INFO- 1972 914 1.7 SINGLE CARB CONVERT Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
That's the fuel pump that they used to replace the OEM unit
porsche-tom
OK, any recommendations on if i should just replace it wit the same pump or are there any better options. thank you very much
messix
it's just a cheap run of the mill facet low pressure fuel pump.
Cap'n Krusty
A Pierberg rotary pump is better. Quieter, too. Mount it in a rubber ring (comes with the pump. I have one in my 911. Lotsa sources. CB Performance sell 'em, so does GPR.

The Cap'n
Mike Bellis
Those fuel hoses look scary!
SirAndy
I'm surprised no one has commented on your cracked fuel hoses ... popcorn[1].gif
(EDIT: I see Mike beat me to it)

I second the CB Performance rotary pump, it's 100x better than the piece of crap you have there.
smile.gif

This is the one you want:
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3193

IPB Image
porsche-tom
thanks guys and yes the fuel lines are getting replaced smile.gif
clapeza
Tangerine Racing offers a kit with their stainless steel fuel lines and a rotary pump:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

...while you're in there!
porsche-tom
the rotary fuel pump arrived any pictures of where you mounted it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Nov 22 2014, 10:15 AM) *
the rotary fuel pump arrived any pictures of where you mounted it?

I actually mounted mine in the early stock location under the engine shelf in the back and used both the supply and return line to keep the fuel circulating and cooler.

From your picture, it seems your old pump was in the front. Did you have the return line blocked off in that setup?
idea.gif
porsche-tom
Yes the return line was blocked off. I might be able to put it in the same location (under the tank next to the master cylinder) but its a pretty small spot.has anybody put it the the trunk my the spare?
Dave_Darling
Yes, that is another spot people have put it.

--DD
porsche-tom
UPDATE- i pulled off the lower cover and tried to start it up and the bitch fired right up biggrin.gif thank you all for the advice beer.gif Click to view attachment
porsche-tom
here is a pic of the carClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.