Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Point of No Return
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
DRPHIL914
yep, baby steps like they said.
i started wtih just getting it running , begin to figure things out.
sorted thru engine all that stuff, vac leaks. pulling tank new fuel lines etc.
then next i put in new suspension bits on rear.
then new interior, then the caliper locked up in rear and i had to pull that- every thing on my car was original- so last year icollected all the bits for suspension and bushings, breaks form PMB etc- all new brake line etc etc , goal was to drive it at octeenerfest which i missed last year - that right there solidified my resolve to finish the rest- so i am saving up for the rust repair- like you i need both longs in the rear done-

- my advice would be to get that rust repair done first so that you dont have to tear it back down twice like i will - AND it is worth it in every way- prices have gone up a lot since i got this car almost 6 years ago. there are worse things to throw your money at for sure!!!
boogie_man
What I see the most common with newly acquired projects is a lot of people go right for the mechanical aspects of the car (engine-trans-suspension-electrical-interior) and then start thinking of the required work to get the structure work done and thru paint. When that happens you'll get sticker shocked on what it takes to get that done and want to give up because you've spent so much money on everything but that crucial structure and bodywork which I feel is the foundation of your project. It's been a tough 3 years for me on mine especially losing my bodyman to cancer 1/2 way thru the build which I'm still paying for today (final fit and finish) and can't count how many times I've said under my respirator "no turning back" to get from this:IPB Image

To this:IPB Image

Has been a real journey so far and has been frustrating to say the least, about sold as a 80% finished project several times because I was just spent. But with the help of this board and a certain special individual that you and I both know here. I'm glad I've stuck with it as even though it's not done and I driven it lightly around my business complex WITH THE BIGGEST SMILE ON MY FACE !!!!!

Save your money, plan and schedule properly and pull the trigger, you'll be glad you did trust me. Remember, you found that under a tree in the desert one day so WTF you expect.....?
orangecrate
After 5 years of sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif and poke.gif my kid to fix my tranny and some plain old yellowsleep[1].gif I heard the most beautiful sound today . She runs!!!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Keep at it. That putt putt putt was such a relief. Now to get it ready to driving.gif Ya hoo!!
naro914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 20 2014, 12:20 PM) *

Saville is a mad man.

That is all.

pete

coming for you Pete, that's saying something...

not sure if I should take that as a compliment or consider purchasing a straight jacket.. smile.gif
Larmo63
The car runs and drives, the current 1.7 is peppy, but has a really bad miss at 3200 rpm. I've checked the fps and mps, it's probably the fuel system at this point and I have a completely rebuilt Weber carbureted 2056 close to being done that just needs to be installed. I really went too fast and spent money I didn't have too fast.

I have 911 suspension and 914-6 rear stuff, Fuchs 6 x 15 ready. Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 20 2014, 12:36 PM) *

not sure if I should take that as a compliment or consider purchasing a straight jacket.. smile.gif

Both! idea.gif

So how does that thing drive? It looks better now than it did before, at least from the pics supplied...

Wow!

pete
Mueller
I sold my 914 w/trailer 7 years ago in 2007 since I got fed up from a bunch of little things....

Didn't miss it at all at 1st, missed the people and kept in contact with a few thru the years...finally made a decision last month that I have to have another 914, I miss the 914s way more than I miss my '91 964 C2....

Don't give up, you will miss the 914 and they are not getting any cheaper if you want to get back in the game!

gifted914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 20 2014, 12:48 PM) *

Naro, show the pic of the flipped car, then it's fixed again....that is never giving up.

Hi, it's part of the process of making you insane, but, worth every moment.
naro914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 26 2014, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 20 2014, 12:36 PM) *

Both! idea.gif

So how does that thing drive? It looks better now than it did before, at least from the pics supplied...

Wow!

pete

Pete
It drives great. I've won all 3 SCCA Hillclimbs we've entered in GT2 class and constantly compete for FTD in all the autocrosses I enter. For some reason the shifting on the car is the best I've ever experienced in a 914. Almost gated feel. It could use some better shocks (old, stock Bilsteins now) but its an absolute blast to drive.

For Targa 2006, we built the car from nothing in about 6 months, so it had lots of issues. For 2007, we had a whole year to fix/tweak everything. It was perfect...until we flipped it. I think THAT was the most disturbing part - we spent so long and worked so hard to get the car right, train, study video, put together a full plan for the week, etc. All gone on the first day.
naro914
QUOTE(gifted914 @ Nov 26 2014, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 20 2014, 12:48 PM) *

Naro, show the pic of the flipped car, then it's fixed again....that is never giving up.

Hi, it's part of the process of making you insane, but, worth every moment.

Insanity came long ago...now it's just laughing at me! screwy.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 26 2014, 05:11 PM) *

I sold my 914 w/trailer 7 years ago in 2007 since I got fed up from a bunch of little things....

Didn't miss it at all at 1st, missed the people and kept in contact with a few thru the years...finally made a decision last month that I have to have another 914, I miss the 914s way more than I miss my '91 964 C2....

Don't give up, you will miss the 914 and they are not getting any cheaper if you want to get back in the game!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif welder.gif welder.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Ben and Ralph
I'm a 20 year old broke college student that really had no business getting a 914 as a first car. Any scraps of change that I make from my minimum wage job goes straight into a new part for my teener or getting up and running again after it brakes down. 5 years of hard work and lots of $$$ has got me here and the downward spiral is not ending anytime soon. But I can't describe the love I have for my car. All the blood, sweat, and tears for the one day out of the week that I can just escape reality to places like thisClick to view attachment
Jeff Hail
Only fools run true!

I never stood in the give up line.

No one ever taught me HOW to give up. I don't know how. Whats it like?

Poor bastards!

Larmo63
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 20 2014, 07:46 AM) *

so...Larmo63: where are you in your project? what are you plans? Pictures???

As you can see, everyone on here has been there/done that. There is a wealth of information and experience. It makes it much easier - yes, misery loves company. This forum is a support group like AA....except AA is for quitters!

It is finally running good thanks to Bruce coming down last Sunday and helping tweak a few things on the car.

Bruce is a Godsend and a real asset to our hobby!

Click to view attachment
colingreene
I like the driver in that picture.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 26 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Here in N Cal we missed you more than your C2 as well! I won't believe you're really back until a 914 or two is in your front yard.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 27 2014, 10:50 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 20 2014, 07:46 AM) *

so...Larmo63: where are you in your project? what are you plans? Pictures???

As you can see, everyone on here has been there/done that. There is a wealth of information and experience. It makes it much easier - yes, misery loves company. This forum is a support group like AA....except AA is for quitters!

It is finally running good thanks to Bruce coming down last Sunday and helping tweak a few things on the car.

Bruce is a Godsend and a real asset to our hobby!

Click to view attachment

Its the people. Nice cat?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.