Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable problem.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Well... I replaced my clutch cable this afternoon, but It's not tightening up enough. It seems like I have it all the way tightened at the tranny end, and if I screw the clevis end any more I don't think I'll be able to get the pin in.

Did I get the wrong cable? 914.423.401.05 my car is a 74.

Have people been seeing a trend of cables not fitting?

Any ideas?
steuspeed
I bought a Gemo cable for my 73. I don't have the part order handy. No problems installing and adjusting.
Java2570
Same here, Gemo cable from Pelican, no issues on install.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Nov 24 2014, 04:08 PM) *
Any ideas?

Make sure the clutch tube is securely attached to the chassis on both ends and doesn't move or flex.

idea.gif
Dave_Darling
Slip about 1/2" long piece of tubing over the cable between the clevis and the M7 nuts. I'm not sure if the metal (911) clevis is shorter than the plastic (914) one, or what, but it's pretty common to run out of adjustment in a 914.

Several stacked ~M10 nuts can work as well.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
The metal trunion is substantially shorter than the plastic 914 trunion, which by now has to be pretty rare. It's much longer, however, then the original 911/912 plastic one.

The Cap'n
ripper911
I doubt that it is my clutch tube since the old cable was working, it just broke.

I'll try some spacers and such tomorrow.
r_towle
You need a hearse already....
bdstone914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Nov 24 2014, 08:02 PM) *

I doubt that it is my clutch tube since the old cable was working, it just broke.

I'll try some spacers and such tomorrow.

Add another trunion at tans. There was a special long nut that was used to take up the extra slack. I have seen a few and have never seen a part number for it. This is from a 1969 parts catalog.
ripper911
It's strange that it worked before. The only difference now is the new cable, and that I lost an adjusting nut in the grass. I used an extra heat exchanger flange nut to take up the space of the lost nut temporarily. I don't remember there being anything else on there, but I could be wrong...

Come to think of it, I think I had spacers and such there before my time at AA, I think they did something else to make it work.
ripper911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2014, 09:10 PM) *

You need a hearse already....

If Ihad the cash, and if it was air-cooled...

1938 Packard

Or there is always this one.
Needs a little more work.
r_towle
Packard, as is.....get a new motor, don't change the patina at all.

Or, the Buick...go for a resto funk...I love those front grills.
ripper911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2014, 10:07 PM) *

Packard, as is.....get a new motor.

Type 4?

Flat 6?
r_towle
Type 4.....two of them, maybe three...
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Nov 24 2014, 06:33 PM) *

It's strange that it worked before. The only difference now is the new cable, and that I lost an adjusting nut in the grass. I used an extra heat exchanger flange nut to take up the space of the lost nut temporarily. I don't remember there being anything else on there, but I could be wrong...

Come to think of it, I think I had spacers and such there before my time at AA, I think they did something else to make it work.

You can take up some of the length by adjusting the front section of the cable.

Remove the trans connection, adjust the front and reattach it then readjust the rear again.
bandjoey
Wrapped around the accel cable in the tunnel?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 25 2014, 12:28 PM) *

Wrapped around the accel cable in the tunnel?

That would make it to short! huh.gif
ripper911
I grabbed some nuts and got in in there far enough into it, but now I can play a tune on my clutch cable with my shifter. The good news is that I can change the note with the pedal.

Yeah, I know... I'll undo the pedal end and push it through again.

Note to self: 424 160 0712 (the old cable) fits with the metal trunion.
ripper911
All I had to do was fix my stupid mistake from last night.
alfred.gif

I had run the cable through the large hole in the firewall instead of the clutch tube. It's fine now! confused24.gif laugh.gif
pilothyer
One thing for sure.....you'll never do that again biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.