Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talimena Tax Evasion Tour
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
In the past, we had the Talimena 1 event that was started by Joseph Mills. It was a spring run from Talihina Oklahoma to Mena Arkansas along the top of the ridgeline past Queen Wilimena lodge.

I am thinking about reviving the event, but renaming it to the Talimena Tax Evasion Tour, to be held on April 18.

The schedule of event is this:

Show up on Friday at the Motel in Talimena, Oklahoma.

Get up Saturday morning and drive to Mena Arkansas, route map below. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment

Have lunch in Mena.

Drive back to Talimena, Oklahoma. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Have an evening cookout in the parking lot of the motel. Lot of jsharp.gif mcmark.gif and beer3.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif .

Stumble to your motel room and sleep.

Sunday, go home.

That's it. No trophys, no car show, no car wash, just driving, eating and drinking.

There is a local grocery store to get food to cook. Oklahoma beer is 3.2, so if you want anything good you have to bring your own.

Any takers?

stevegm
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 01:42 PM) *

In the past, we had the Talimena 1 event that was started by Joseph Mills. It was a spring run from Talihina Oklahoma to Mena Arkansas along the top of the ridgeline past Queen Wilimena lodge.

I am thinking about reviving the event, but renaming it to the Talimena Tax Evasion Tour, to be held on April 18.

Get up Saturday morning and drive to Mena Arkansas, route map below. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment

Have lunch in Mena.

Have an evening cookout in the parking lot of the motel. Lot of jsharp.gif mcmark.gif and beer3.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif .

Sunday, go home.

That's it. No trophys, no car show, no car wash, just driving, eating and drinking.

There is a local grocery store to get food to cook. Oklahoma beer is 3.2, so if you want anything good you have to bring your own.

Any takers?

Neat idea. 2 comments:

1. April 18 is the same day as the Hershey Porsche Swap Meet, which draws a lot of people.
2. If you are going to do an event, please send me the info and we will put it in the 2015 calendar. But, I will need the info soon (like this Sunday at the latest).

Calendar - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=245292
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 12:47 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Have lunch in Mena.

Sunday, go home.

Any takers?

Neat idea. 2 comments:

1. April 18 is the same day as the Hershey Porsche Swap Meet, which draws a lot of people.
2. If you are going to do an event, please send me the info and we will put it in the 2015 calendar. But, I will need the info soon (like this Sunday at the latest).

I didn't think about Hershey. So we move it to April 11th.

Please add it to the calendar.

stevegm
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 26 2014, 12:47 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Have lunch in Mena.

Sunday, go home.

Any takers?

Neat idea. 2 comments:

I didn't think about Hershey. So we move it to April 11th.

Please add it to the calendar.

Will do. Can you post this info, or PM it to me?

Name of event
Date of event
Type of event - short description
Location (starting location)
Web address if there is one for the event
Contact email address
ClayPerrine
Name of event - Talimena Tax Evasion Tour
Date of event - April 11, 2015
Type of event - Weekend Drive and Cookout
Location Kaimachi Inn, Talihina, Oklahoma
Web address - Nope.
Contact email address - No contact necessary, no signup necessary. Just show up. If you have to contact me, send me a PM here.
stevegm
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 02:05 PM) *

Name of event - Talimena Tax Evasion Tour
Date of event - April 11, 2015
Type of event - Weekend Drive and Cookout
Location Kaimachi Inn, Talihina, Oklahoma
Web address - Nope.
Contact email address - No contact necessary, no signup necessary. Just show up. If you have to contact me, send me a PM here.

Got it. Thanks.
bandjoey
This is a great drive across the gateway to the Quachita Mountains. Mena is a small tourist town with Queen Wilhelmina Lodge and state park. Great place to get away from the crowds. I've spent many happy summers there with family.

Will put it on the calendar.

Trivia. Mena airport was the CIA drop for drugs sold to Central America to finance weapons for Iran-contra
TheCabinetmaker
Glad your doing this Clay. Have thought about it myself but not all that seriously. Will this be a 914 event like in the beginning or all Porsche's?

Good news. Okiehoma now has the same strong beer as everyone else.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 26 2014, 04:32 PM) *

Glad your doing this Clay. Have thought about it myself but not all that seriously. Will this be a 914 event like in the beginning or all Porsche's?

I didn't know about the end of the 3.2 beer. That is good news.

The event will be exactly like it was when Joseph was putting them on, I.E. nothing but a drive and a cookout.

But we won't be burning your bumpers on this one. av-943.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 26 2014, 04:32 PM) *

I didn't know about the end of the 3.2 beer. That is good news.

The event will be exactly like it was when Joseph was putting them on, I.E. nothing but a drive and a cookout.

But we won't be burning your bumpers on this one. av-943.gif

I didn't say it was the end of 3.2 beer. I said we have all the popular strong beers. It's just like going to a liquor store in Texas. The convenience stores sell 3.2
eyesright
I
l'll be there.

02loftsmoor
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2014, 12:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Have lunch in Mena.

Sunday, go home.

Any takers?

I don't think I'll be off the jack stand ss by then.
Mikey914
I would call it the tax avoidance tour, avoidance is legal evasion is not, unless that's what you are going for. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Nov 27 2014, 02:55 PM) *

I don't think I'll be off the jack stand ss by then.

You know... I can help get your car off jackstands.

And even if it isn't, you don't have to have a 914 to come. We allow anyone to come drive with us. As one of our more famous (infamous) members, Rusty said: "I can't be an elitist, I drive a 914."

ClayPerrine
Hey everyone...

Start planning to be there on April 11th.

driving-girl.gif driving.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 21 2014, 01:44 PM) *

Hey everyone...

Start planning to be there on April 11th.

I won't be able to make it this year (Swap Meet and the Mitty in April). But, we included it in the calendar. And if someone takes pictures, we will include a write up about it in Fourteener Motoring Magazine - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247075
Rob-O
Oh, this might be fun. I need to get my car running better though. Crappy single car , crappy Facet fuel pump and crappy 009 distributor.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 21 2014, 11:17 AM) *

Oh, this might be fun. I need to get my car running better though. Crappy single car , crappy Facet fuel pump and crappy 009 distributor.

That's a lotta crap.
Rob-O
It is! Other than that it's a nice car!
r_towle
So, If I enter and win, do I get a one year waver of taxes?
TheCabinetmaker
Has any one contacted the kiamichi inn yet? They can fill up quick. Remember the bikers love this road too
TheCabinetmaker
Just talked to Faye at the inn. It's a 30 room inn with ten rooms reserved at this time. Faye said they start filling up in January and will be booked solid by March 15. I suggest you get your reservations made. I'll keep in contact with them and keep this thread updated.

Kiamichi inn
Talihina ok
918 567 2243

abnrdo
I will try and have my 914 ready by then. Its close enough for me to drive. I will put the date on my schedule and request leave at work.

beer.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Dec 22 2014, 01:06 PM) *

I will try and have my 914 ready by then. Its close enough for me to drive. I will put the date on my schedule and request leave at work.

beer.gif

Come thru Tulsa and we'll drive down together.
bandjoey
Made a reservation today

email to: kiamichiinn@yahoo.com

www: http://www.kiamichicountryinn.com/index.html

Fri 10 & Sat 11th April. Single room $55 night

Who Else is going???
For the cookout..Is there a local grocery to buy there, or is it best to bring it with us?

I searched garage for "Mena" and came up with this run over about 6 years. Lots of photos.
bandjoey
I have an empty seat if someone wants to ride along, but I don't share a room.
signal914.jpg
bandjoey
icon_bump.gif
bandjoey
just cause if I use vacation days, let's have at least 4 cars there. biggrin.gif
icon_bump.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Has someone gave a heads up to the Fischers?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 23 2015, 04:50 AM) *

Has someone gave a heads up to the Fischers?

I just called Richard. He is really excited and wants to be there. Hopefully he gets the motor back in his car before then.

Nobody needs to bring food. There is a grocery store in town where we can buy it.

Just bring your favorite potable... beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif
theleschyouknow
I think I'm in got it ok'd with the boss she may ride along as well making reservations tomorrow
I need to adjust valves and change my oil before then
first time for either since I've had my car so a little nervous about f-ing something up
eyesright
Reservation made. Actually we'll be up at Tenkiller but will make it down in time for lift off.

Anybody else? Its a great drive.
TheCabinetmaker
I'll see if my friend Lisa (she provided the charcoal grill last time) is still in talahina. I'll be by myself this time (the bitch is no longer around), so I'll have an empty passenger seat. Do we have any musicians besides me in the group? With no passenger I can carry my 12 string. It won't fit in the trunk.
kerensky
Hmm, just stumbled across this thread - I was thinking the usual run was in the fall. My spring is so busy, and my 'teener is still sleeping the long sleep, but I'll at least look at my schedule. Always wanted to make one of these.
TheCabinetmaker
Talimena is in the spring. Musr is in the fall, but it seems to be dead too. No one wants to be the organizer. For you okc folks, we could meet at i40 in Henrietta and convoy from there. Lisa is still living in talihina. I'm hopeful for the use of her grill again.
ClayPerrine
Just bumping to the top of the board....

This is coming up rapidly.

bandjoey
Found out that weekend is college acceptance day. If Joey is accepted we'll be going to Florida. Will know in about a week.
TheCabinetmaker
Weather forecast for talihina on April 11. Lots of Sun, high temp around 68, and most important, no rain.
bandjoey
will be taking kid to college that weekend...acceptance day.
I'm going to cancel my motel reservation. If someone wants it (if they're booked and you can't get one) let me know next week. sad.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Weather update: one source says 10% chance of rain on Saturday, another says no rain. Temp in upper 70s.

So, who is committed to be there? Where you coming from, and when are you headed out.
bandjoey
It looks like I'm back on again. College acceptance for kids is such a pain. Acceptance weekend for all the fun and games is this weekend, but 2 of the 3 colleges still haven't notified us of acceptance - in or out - and the one that did is for a different degree plan than the one my son is wanting into. Sitting by the mailbox and making Final decision on Monday for Oklahoma. confused24.gif
eyesright
Still coming, tho we'll be at Tenkiller State Park, we'll show up in the morning in time for launch. Rain or shine.
ClayPerrine
Good morning all!

I am busily inspecting 914s for the trip. Yesterday I finally changed the valve covers on my six, and fixed the oil cooler fan. Today is slated for a valve adjustment and overall inspection on Betty's monster.

Richard Fisher is not going to be there. He now owns his own shop, and has too much work to get the engine back in his car. So I need to see if someone close to there can bring a grill. If not, then I need to bust ass to fix the front end on my truck so I can trailer my car up (which I hate doing, by the way).

For those of you coming to meet up for the tour on Saturday morning, be at the Kaimachi Inn at 9am. We will be headed out at 9:14 am.

Looking forward to this!

theleschyouknow
looks like I am still coming -keeping an eye on the weather tho & I still need to adjust or get my valves adjusted
TheCabinetmaker
Clay, we're covered on the grill. The legs just pop off the weber and the lid fits in the bottom upside down. It will set right in the front trunk.

Great for Richard! Sorry he can't make it.

I've been toying with the idea of a little detour on the way back. There's a side road down the mountain that comes into talahina from the south.
SuperDave
I'm in Oklahoma but my son's band trip conflicts with this tax evasion excursion. But it sure sounds like fun and it is really scenic down in that neck of the woods. Next time!
ClayPerrine
Ok.. check in. Who is coming from the DFW area and do you want to meet up and travel up together? We will be heading out on Friday around noon.

bandjoey
Probably meet up. Depends on work. Will know for sure Thursday when I can get free
theleschyouknow
I'd love to drive up together but I can't get away at noon, dam.
Bill if you can't get away at noon either letme know when you're goin maybe we can caravan
cjl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.