Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Ownership + Hip Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_f
I am due to have a hip replacement in 2 weeks time & I am concerned that I may not be able to manage entry & exit into the 914 cockpit after the op. I am told that I won't be able to drive any car for 6 weeks sad.gif
I believe that the success rate for these operations is very high but there are some restrictions on what you can & cannot do afterwards e.g. crossing your legs or raising the knee above hip level, to name but two.
Are there any 914 owners who have had a hip replacement & are still able to gain entry & drive their pride & joy?

I am also concerned about my 914 during the period that I cannot drive her. At present, she has a 30 mile burn up around the South Devon lanes once a week (if its dry) before retiring to her detached, unheated garage - where she is wrapped up - until the next trip.
Whilst I will not be able to drive her or even climb in to start her up, is it best to get a third party to start her up once a week & run her to operating temperature or would it be better to remove the battery & leave her alone? For the next 4-5 months the UK will be cold & damp.

All comments gratefully received.
PS. Had a great run today with top off in the autumn sunshine - Dartmouth to Kingsbridge - returning on the coast road, hitting 70 mph on the Slapton straight. She's going to SCS Porsche in Honiton on Tuesday for her Christmas present - new CV joints.Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I don't think it would be that bad, just might have to change your entry method a bit.
When I hurt my knee (I know, not the same) I would sit on the long and lift my leg in.

Good luck with your OP. beer.gif
walterolin
My wife had a THR about four years ago, no mobility limitations now. The physical therapy afterwards is very important. It will take a few months, in her case almost six months because she had a lot of muscle atrophy.
gendent
I had both hips replaced by the time I was 50 and I consider them a miracle. 914 entry is not a problem. The only limitation I have personally placed on myself is not jogging as I elected to have the ceramic cups and heads so I would not have to worry about metal debris from wear. Besides I hate running. The first hip was a "posterior" placement and that did take 6 weeks to heal enough for me to return to work (I am a dentist). The second one was an anterior entry and I was back in 2 weeks, although for either I found that six months was the real recovery time for full use and mobility. I agree with the physical therapy emphasis and continued the exercises for two months after dismissal from the PT. The only down side is when cold weather sets in there is an audible squeak if I don't position myself well when lifting heavy objects. Good Luck. You will wonder why you waited so long to do this.
Just my .02 cents. Stay focused on your medical concerns. Once you are healthy then worry about it
There's things in life that are out of your control. All the best
struckn
It's gonna hurt no matter what you're driving. However a manual Tranny and clutch peddle will be difficult for awhile in the beginning and don't plan on sitting in the seat too long or you'll need help getting out.

Best you leave the Top Off and ease your self down with both arms.

Best wishes for a speedy recovory, once healed you're feel like a new man.

driving.gif
EdwardBlume
Your hip can give out and be replaced but your car can't. Put a picture of it up on the wall in front of your incline bike and fight for it!
beer.gif
Beeliner
Having gone through physical therapy years ago, here's what you do.

!. Do whatever your therapist says to do, to the pain level they say is OK.

2. Tell them you want to get in and out of your car. Show them what the situation is with the seats. Then you can approach getting back in the car as a team effort.

3. Some one here will give you good advice on the car storage, I am sure.
balljoint
Elliot is not hip at all and he drives a 914. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Is that an original 6? evilgrin.gif

I'll come and get it. You won't be needing it!

Best of luck with your surgery. Your PT is the real miracle worker...
mr2by4
After getting my hip reconstructed after a bad accident I felt bad about my 1976 930 sitting unloved in the garage. I sold it and am rather sad to have done so. I sold it less than 10 years ago for less than 1/4 of what it would trade for today. This was a car that I had spent years modifying and restoring and had been a dream since I was a child. If you love the car, make sure it is safely stored and do your pt at 100% so you can get back to driving it.
If finances force its sale, it ultimately is just a thing. I may have sold my 76 Turbo Carrera but now I have a 1971 914!
ben*james
Click to view attachment Here's mine...we could be related ?...

First of all...let me say that is one fine looking 914.

My wife is a DPT, so I'm a little biased. But: listen to your PT and be very clear you want to drive your 914 again!
john_f
Many thanks for all your advice & good wishes - I will certainly follow any advice from the Physio & keep doing the exercises. Have already started doing the pre-op ones.
The car is a 1973 /4 2.0, bog standard, original engine but with uprated 911 suspension, hubs & brakes. Ex California car, imported into the UK in 1999. She's getting new CV joints tomorrow as they are clonking a bit.

Thanks again - another photo attached.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
if its not to personal, please report back on how it went and your progress.
Its something I may need to do in the future, right now I am pushing the PT as far as I can to last as long as I can without having any operation.
Phoenix-MN
Had my left hip joint replaced 2 years ago, has not been a problem with the 914 and stock seats. I have Recarro SRD's in my 911 and with the tighter "fit" they have I get a little uncomfortable after a longer drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.