Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drill Bit Recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
With Christmas coming, I would like to get a good set of drill bits. I don't need specialty bits, just regular old drill bits for drilling metal, usually less than 1/2" thickness. I would like to get a set from 1/16" - 1/2" but with a 3/8" shank to fit my cordless drill. What brand/kind of bits do you recommend? I see all types with titanium, chromium, HSS, black oxide, etc. I'm looking for a good reliable set that doesn't dull the first time I use it.

What have you had good luck with?

Thanks.

Warrrenoliver
76-914
Go to some machinist supply online e.g. ENCO and buy the most expensive bits you can afford. I like cobalt but they are brittle and don't like side loads. If you buy good bits treat them right.
timmaria
You can find high quality bits at swap meets and flea markets really cheap.
GermermanCarGuy
Unless you're a fab or metal shop, you don't need to waste the expense by buying the most expensive bits around. When fabricating my rotisserie, I went through seven 1/2" bits before asking a metal shop what I was doing wrong.

You can use any standard shaped metal cutting tip, Carbide or Titanium for Hard metals. I prefer Kobalt or Dewalt. Decent quality and can be had at most hardware stores.

I'd recommend adding Drill Doctor Drill Bit Sharpener to your tool box (you won't regret this investment). Add a good cutting oil or 80W to your tool bench.

When drilling metal from a Drill Press, use the slowest speed possible, especially on thicker materials, oil often with even pressure. On sheet metal, use a punch to mark your start location to prevent wandering, then drill straight through (parallel to the metal).

As a side note. Wood and concrete bits are shaped differently and can't be sharpened using a Drill Doctor. The moderate to higher speed for these applications is better.

Hope this helps.
Rob
URY914
Good bits are only half the job.

As said above, my Drill Doctor has paid for itself over and over. Add a bottle of cutting oil and you are a drilling machine.
Cap'n Krusty
"drill straight through (parallel to the metal)." ? Most of us prefer to drill perpendicular to the metal. More effective, as it puts the hole in a useful position, and the drill bit works a lot better ...

The Cap'n
cary
Ditto on the cutting oil.
I even use cutting oil on the cheezy HF bits I use for pilot holes for the spot weld cutter. They drill three times as fast and last 10 times as long.
eric9144
QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Dec 5 2014, 07:19 AM) *

I'd recommend adding Drill Doctor Drill Bit Sharpener to your tool box.

agree.gif That makes a remarkably big difference
GermermanCarGuy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 5 2014, 09:23 AM) *

"drill straight through (parallel to the metal)." ? Most of us prefer to drill perpendicular to the metal. More effective, as it puts the hole in a useful position, and the drill bit works a lot better ...

The Cap'n

You right. My bad.
Mueller
For thin sheet metal don't discount unibit/step drills , very versatile

The "real" brand is pricey, I've had decent luck with the HF and other brands for occasional jobs.
relentless
After growing tired of replacing the el-cheapo 'titanium coated' drill bits I switched to Hansen HSS. You get what you pay for...
bandjoey
Thanks for the drill info. What about drill speed? Cordless ranges from 200-1500rpm appx. And cord drills 2000+.

So we buy great drill bits and burn them up right away. Advice here?
Jeff Hail
IRWIN fractional HSS Co5 bits are great. They are actually made by a well known tool company. Bargain for the quality. When it comes time to sharpen them they are as good as a new bit if done correctly.

The cheaper ones sold at Lowes are not the same.

Hanson is next on quality but higher priced. Hanson makes bits for other companies. Hint.
johnhora
I found this works best on all the various brands of drill bits I have ever purchased over the years...

patience

noun
1. the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
roblav1
Use Cobalt and watch the speed. Each bit requires its own speed - the larger the slower RPM.
aircooledtechguy
One word:

COBALT

Anything else pales in comparison. The Drill Dr will pay for itself in short order.
Matt Romanowski
Carbide is the best material, followed by cobalt, then HSS. I never found the coating to make a difference unless the bits were run in a CNC with the speeds and feeds calculated and followed.

I would suggest a set of cobalt from someone like Enco. Buy what you can afford and you'll get something pretty good.
saigon71
I used a set very similar to this for the restoration on my car. They were heavily used drilling out spot welds and fabrication new parts out of sheet metal.

It's a great set for the money. As others have said, longevity depends largely on using them with the right speed and lubrication.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71226-70-DW1263_0_...&facetInfo=

veekry9
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 5 2014, 11:23 AM) *

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif

The average farm hand learns to sharpen a drill bit at the age of 8.
look it up and practice.Takes 40 secs.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Dec 5 2014, 03:08 PM) *

Use Cobalt and watch the speed. Each bit requires its own speed - the larger the slower RPM.

Cobalt!!! piratenanner.gif and not the shitty ones at Lowe's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.