Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are these heads and what are they worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
This is the information I found on the internet...Is this correct? What are they worth?

021 101 371S ... 39.3mm Intake X 34mm Exhaust. FI head ('74 1.8L)

Click to view attachment
billh1963
another view

Mark Henry
914 1.8 "S" heads, the best 1.8 head.
Those heads have been flycut, if I was buying I'd want to know the chamber size.
Mueller
Ceramic coated combustion chambers?

r_towle
To my untrained eye they look like they were glass beaded and no other work was done.
IC a ridge where the cylinder meets the head, and it down not appear to be even.
I see stains where the washers hold down the hyped nuts.

Don't appera to be new, nor reworked to me.
billh1963
These are part of my parts stash. I'll be selling them so just trying to get an idea what they are and their value.
Cap'n Krusty
Here we go again. Those heads are worth exactly the point where how much you want to sell them meets how much the prospective buyer wants to buy them and money changes hands. For that very brief moment in time, that's the value. Seconds, minutes, hours, or days later that is no longer the value.

The Cap'n
billh1963
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 6 2014, 09:25 PM) *

Here we go again. Those heads are worth exactly the point where how much you want to sell them meets how much the prospective buyer wants to buy them and money changes hands. For that very brief moment in time, that's the value. Seconds, minutes, hours, or days later that is no longer the value.

The Cap'n

True....... Now have another another beer and try not to wax philosophical any more tonight beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Would an ale be OK? I see a Stone's IPA beckoning as I type this ...

The Cap'n
wndsnd
I do not like the look of the chambers being cut through the stud holes.

Is that common? I have never seen that before.

John
Mikey914
It is if they are oversized.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2014, 08:41 PM) *

To my untrained eye they look like they were glass beaded and no other work was done.
IC a ridge where the cylinder meets the head, and it down not appear to be even.
I see stains where the washers hold down the hyped nuts.

Don't appera to be new, nor reworked to me.

The register bumps are gone, the head has been milled flat, you do that for fly-cutting the head.
If you fly-cut it too deep you have to cut the bumps off so the head won't hit the top fin of the cylinder.

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 6 2014, 10:40 PM) *

I do not like the look of the chambers being cut through the stud holes.

Is that common? I have never seen that before.

John

Good catch I missed that, they are cut for 103mm.
That's why the heads are fly-cut.
billh1963
Lots of good feedback.

If the heads are fly cut for 103mm, what size engine were they intended for?

SLITS
71 X 103 = 2366
JoeDees
For 103mms.... I have a set of 103mms for sale in the classified forums, but if you'd give me a good deal I may decide to build the engine myself.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 7 2014, 06:37 AM) *

Lots of good feedback.

If the heads are fly cut for 103mm, what size engine were they intended for?

QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 7 2014, 08:07 AM) *

71 X 103 = 2366

Guessing a bit but IIRC 78X103mm was about 2650 and I know 80X103mm is a 2.7L
r_towle
Sell them to the guy in Tennessee who is looking to build a big motor.....it's on the main page right now.
DRPHIL914
bill, sent you a PM , I might be interested in these---

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.