Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel and ring gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cfletch
I recently purchased all the goodies for my 2.7 to mate to my 901 box. the ring gear adapter, clutch, and PP. Im having issues though trying to get my flywheel and ring gear mated the the measurements seems to be a tad off on the adapter and I cant put them together. Should I just do a hot cold thing to try and get the metal expanded to where itll fit together or what?
SirAndy
How much are they off?

I would think something isn't right, it shouldn't take heat or cold to make things fit.
idea.gif

PS: Here's my setup, lightened 993 flywheel, ringear adapter and KEP Stage 3 clutch and pressure plate:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cfletch
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
the 1st one is in the hole where the other 2 are off just a tad...
SirAndy
I'm confused. Is that ringgear cut down at all? This looks like a complete flywheel.
confused24.gif
Cfletch
Am I just being dumb.. this is very likely, as im also working on studying for finals.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Dec 8 2014, 12:39 PM) *
Am I just being dumb.

The ringgear goes on the surface side of the flywheel. The pins are used to locate the pressure plate to the ringear, not to mount the ringear to the flywheel.
smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 8 2014, 01:28 PM) *
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Dec 8 2014, 12:39 PM) *
Am I just being dumb.
The ringgear goes on the surface side of the flywheel. The pins are used to locate the pressure plate to the ringear, not to mount the ringear to the flywheel.
smile.gif

Maybe this pic helps ...

IPB Image
Cfletch
so like this?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment there is no end to my stupidity lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Dec 8 2014, 01:37 PM) *
so like this?

Yes, that's more like it. Does the ringear fit flush with the flywheel? Hard to tell from your picture.
idea.gif
Cfletch
No... but it could be because I heated up the gear and cooled the flywheel. Hopefully thats why, if not what would I need to do?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Dec 8 2014, 01:46 PM) *

No... but it could be because I heated up the gear and cooled the flywheel. Hopefully thats why, if not what would I need to do?

Good question.

It also looks like your ringgear is missing the mounting holes to secure it to the flywheel.
On mine, the pins were removed and the holes reused to countersink bolts to mount it to the flywheel.
The other 6 remaining holes are used to mount the pressure plate to the ringgear.

Where did you get your parts from?
popcorn[1].gif
Cfletch
I purchased everything directly from KEP
sixnotfour
Is the new resurfaced area flat all the way to the flange 360 around ?? I looks like the resurface may not be 100% centered to the flange, leaving a step ??

Andy the ring gear is part of the spacer on this style..
Cfletch
Also my kit only came with the 6 larger bolts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Dec 8 2014, 01:50 PM) *
I purchased everything directly from KEP

Hmmm. If you look at my ringgear picture, you can see 3 larger holes. That's where the pins were originally. The holes were enlarged (but not all the way through) and 3 countersunk bolts were used in there, then 6 bolts were used to mate the pressure plate to the ringgear (those were longer bolts going all the way into the flywheel).

I'm guessing just using 6 long bolts and leaving the pins would probably work OK for your application.
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 8 2014, 01:52 PM) *
Andy the ring gear is part of the spacer on this style..

I know that but if you look at his picture, it looks like the ringear does not evenly touch the flywheel surface.
If it sits on the outer lip, the flywheel needs to be machined to make it sit flush.
shades.gif
Cfletch
heres some close ups to my flywheelClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

sorry for blurryness but you get the gist
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Dec 8 2014, 02:00 PM) *
heres some close ups to my flywheel

The ringear is supposed to fit inside tightly and make full contact with the flywheel surface.

Also note that the inner edge of the ringgear is often chamfered and can make it appear as if it doesn't sit flush when in reality it does.
smash.gif
Cfletch
Ok, sweet thank you Andy. I'd imagine ill have many more dumb questions about this conversion so I hope to see you around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.