Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing old shock inserts from the front struts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timmaria
I know I should have used a spanner wrench but I used an air hammer and cracked the jamb nut. But how do you pull the shock out of the spindle ? Click to view attachment
malcolm2
It has been too long since I did it, but is that a set screw at the btm?

I really thought mine just slid out.
falcor75
It should just slide out, if it doesnt try bolting a spanner to the top thread and pound on the spanner with a rubber mallet while keeping a foot on the hub assy or gently clamping the strut body in a vice.
timmaria
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Dec 8 2014, 09:34 PM) *

It should just slide out, if it doesnt try bolting a spanner to the top thread and pound on the spanner with a rubber mallet while keeping a goot on the hub assy or gently clamping the strut body in a vice.

thanks ,I'll try that.
Jeff Hail
Turn it upside down and drain the fluid first....or you will wear it and smell like hypoid gear oil for days. Grab the rod and jerk it like pulling carrots.
Bulldog9
If it is the original Boge/Sachs strut, there is an O ring keeping everything in the tube. Pull the o ring out with a small pic and the insert will slide up.

See pics.
ClayPerrine
A recommendation..

When installing the new inserts, put a drop of locktite on the threads. I had two of the collars back off in the last year, and a dab of locktite will keep it from happening to you.

CptTripps
Sit on the ground...put the bottom between your feet...pull like hell. (After you drain it.)
bdstone914
I have had several stick badly in the strut. I clamp the top of the strut rod in a vice and tap on the frame part of the spindle assembly with a hammer.
76-914
One other comment. Check to see if the strut is dented at the weld tab. Easily dented "in" in the area. Ask me how I know.
r_towle
Turn upside down, over you head and pull it out while holding it there.
Leave the fluid in to help you remove the strut......nothing bad will happen.
Dave_Darling
Note that some 911 struts have inserts that are held in with roll pins. Those need to be tapped out before you can remove the insert from the strut.

It doesn't look like you have one of those, but just in case...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.