Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this part of the clutch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Found this with the clutch parts. It looks like a bearing for the tranny, but I'm not sure. Is it part of the clutch assembly?

Click to view attachment
McMark
pilot bearing
PanelBilly
So where does the pilot bearing go?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 9 2014, 02:41 PM) *

In the flywheel
SirAndy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 9 2014, 02:41 PM) *

Inside the center of the flywheel. It holds the front of the transmission shaft in place. Without it, the shaft will wobble and you'll have a substantial oil leak from the main seal.

There's also a felt washer needed in that location.
popcorn[1].gif
roblav1
Most engines I've seen have the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. Is the type IV in the flywheel?

I've also run a quality bushing there as well in my Ford powered formula cars.
r_towle
It goes in the pilot bearing hole.....duh
Cap'n Krusty
In the 914/4 it goes in the flywheel. The same engine in a bus uses a crankshaft mounted pilot bearing because the mainshaft is longer.

The Cap'n
McMark
He wouldn't be here if he had a bus. tongue.gif

Ha! I'm krustying the cap'n! zorro.gif
Bleyseng
Make sure you have the spacer in the crank or the pilot bearing will move into the crank when you install the engine to the tranny.
PanelBilly
I think I'm Ben more confused now.
PanelBilly
So does the bearing slide onto the tranny shaft? and what about the felt washer?

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 10 2014, 01:08 PM) *

So does the bearing slide onto the tranny shaft? and what about the felt washer?

See Andy's post #5.......
rjames
Both go in the flywheel. The felt washer towards the tail end of the car. Put a small amount of grease on the tranny shaft when installing. I would think that the grease in the pilot bearings should keep it from permanently impaling itself on the tranny shaft.

#5 is the bearing
#3 is the felt washer

Click to view attachment
McMark
Okay, install the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Recess it 3.2mm (or so). You have to leave room for the felt washer. Drop the felt washer into place, and the 'lock plate' goes over everything.
sixnotfour
early 3.0 the bearing is in the flywheel, later 3.0's have an adapter that bolts to the crank with 3 bolts........really depends on what conversion flywheel you have....the bearing is common for all,,,,

You really need to provide more info... beer3.gif
Jon H.
I always read that you when you replace the fly that the felt needs to be replaced but why does nobody ever mention the the o-ring thats in the flywheel- #6 in the diagram? I have replaced them before.

Jon H.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2014, 12:06 AM) *

He wouldn't be here if he had a bus. tongue.gif

Ha! I'm krustying the cap'n! zorro.gif

The 914 crankshaft has the machined socket for the bearing, and I've seen clueless folks install them there. I've also seen cars with pilot bearings installed in BOTH locations.

The Cap'n
76-914
Oh it gets mentioned. Usually by the guy that forgets to install it. happy11.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 10 2014, 06:27 AM) *

Make sure you have the spacer in the crank or the pilot bearing will move into the crank when you install the engine to the tranny.

In forty plus years of wrenching, I've never seen a pilot bearing fit loose enough in the flywheel to allow that to happen.

The Cap'n
Bulldog9
Thanks for this. I was tracking on the felt washer but likely wouldn't have recessed it intentionally.

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2014, 07:29 PM) *

Okay, install the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Recess it 3.2mm (or so). You have to leave room for the felt washer. Drop the felt washer into place, and the 'lock plate' goes over everything.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.