Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Large Marge - air tool rebuild.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
I suppose air tools are as much 914-related as jackstands are... And although these days it seems they are considered disposable, this one has grown on me and a rebuild kit is available so I did the work. Maybe someone out there may benefit from the photos.

It's a 3HP motor, which is within a 1/2HP of my push mower.
EDIT: Guess I should mention, it's an ATSCO 1700.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mbseto
Removed the guard:
Click to view attachment

Removed the end cover:
Click to view attachment

Removed one handle:
Click to view attachment

...and the other handle:
Click to view attachment
mbseto
Took a break, refreshed my cardboard...

Put the end cap back on while I was away, this is the motor by itself:
Click to view attachment

End cap comes off again, gasket is a replacement item, natch:
Click to view attachment

To get the regulator out, gotta grab it here...:
Click to view attachment

...and spin out the regulator assy. It's a left hand thread:
Click to view attachment

mbseto
The motor endcaps/bearing cups are line-to-line fit with a key. Once the regulator is out of the way, they can be pushed out with the shaft.
Click to view attachment

Here's one end off, showing the rotor:
Click to view attachment

And the other end popped out with the shaft attached. If everything is clean, the vanes will just fall out. Vanes are a replacement item:
Click to view attachment

The cap and the bearing cup on this end are separate pieces. There's the shaft key for the rotor lying there and the other gasket to be replaced:
Click to view attachment

02loftsmoor
I used those before, Man killer
mbseto
This shaft assy was a bit of a puzzle. Decided to ask a guy at the maintenance place before I got too far up the "bigger hammer" ladder. He said, put the shaft ket back in the slot and slide the rotor back on the shaft. Wrap the rotor in a piece of leather or similar and clamp gently in a vise. Then spin the end plate off using the flats:
Click to view attachment

If the bearing needs to be replaced, it is pressed in to the plate with the bolt holes, and trapped by the adjacent plate, which is screwed on with left-hand threads. That adjacent plate has no flats, there is just a hole in the side of it, I assume to take a spanner-like tool if you do not want to use a more galoot-like method of removal.
mbseto
Soaked everything in light oil, deglazed the pan with a nice Riesling and put it all back together. Purrs like a kitten and sucks air like an asthmatic triathlete.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mbseto
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Dec 10 2014, 06:18 PM) *

I used those before, Man killer

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dystopos/8692...in/photostream/
ThePaintedMan
Now THAT'S cool! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.