Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru conversion help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 23 2015, 11:47 AM) *

When you guys are buying donor cars and come across either a left or right fog lamp housing, the round ones, please let me know.

If this car has them, you got it.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 23 2015, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2015, 09:39 AM) *

Engine is out

Good piratenanner.gif The cradle should be there tomorrow beerchug.gif

Oh and I found wiring diagram for all the crap you can strip out of the harness, though its for 5 speeds, I'll drop it in the mail for you, its from Small Car, so copyrighted material - or else I would just attach it here.

Awesome

*I do plan to use a 5 speed manual trans.
a914622
Look good so far! Plan on changing the vacuum hoses under the intake. That seems to be the failer point for the svx engines. The hoods held a lot of heat in.
Do yourself a huge favor and only use "graybond" rtv. If you can't find it local run down to Yamaha and get a tube of "yamabond" same stuff. There is a reason you don't see jap engines leaking oil blink.gif

Jcl
mepstein
Pulling the engine was easy - my local mechanic did it for me. Next step is to pull the chassis harness. That's my job.

Got this chip from 914forme. Turbo boost control? I don't know?
mepstein
Another part from 914forme just showed up. Coldwater cradle. Great seller - just like most everyone on world.

Sorry, iPhone pics display rotated. dry.gif
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 24 2015, 11:18 AM) *

Its an argumentation to the stock ECU, ECUTune stage 1. If you need more you can upgrade it to stage 2, that will give you dual fuel maps, if you every want to run E85 happy11.gif

Overview od stage 1
Features
More aggressive timing profile for more torque
Built in fix for M/T stalling when stopped
Improved power band with increased low rpm torque
7800 rpm rev limit
No vehicle speed limiter
Eliminates hesitation when shifting
Great for SVX automatics, SVX 5 speeds and SVX powered Vanagons 914s aktion035.gif

Stage two requires new injectors, MAP etc...

mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 24 2015, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 24 2015, 11:18 AM) *

Its an argumentation to the stock ECU, ECUTune stage 1. If you need more you can upgrade it to stage 2, that will give you dual fuel maps, if you every want to run E85 happy11.gif

Overview od stage 1
Features
More aggressive timing profile for more torque
Built in fix for M/T stalling when stopped
Improved power band with increased low rpm torque
7800 rpm rev limit
No vehicle speed limiter
Eliminates hesitation when shifting
Great for SVX automatics, SVX 5 speeds and SVX powered Vanagons 914s aktion035.gif

Stage two requires new injectors, MAP etc...

I was kidding. I had seen it on the smallcar website. You gave me a great price. Thank you.
Chris H.
That ECU upgrade is on my list. Looks like it's worth the $.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 16 2014, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 16 2014, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Dec 16 2014, 08:05 AM) *

If you can weld you can make your own FWD lockout too and save some dough. I also make my own transmission block off plate too out of diamond plate.

i dont weld.

And just why the Hell not. Go by a welder and get started! That's the way most of us have done it. Your no different. I've heard that even Dr. Evil can weld. Seriously Epps, after a few minutes you'll be tack welding and shortly there after laying beads. beerchug.gif

I thought about this but it's not just welding. It's metal fab, welding, body work, priming, ect. It's just not my thing, at least not right now. It is however Scotty B's thing. Once I get the car together and running, it will get torn down and get the full treatment. The last bit of rust repaired. The roll bar will be removed. Various holes plugged and finishing work on the flares done. This is the car that will get a steel hard top.

My thing is buying/selling/part sourcing. I have fun doing this and this car still needs a bunch of parts. Besides all the parts coldwater makes, I plan to buy a 5 speed suby trans, renegade front radiator set up, aftermarket gauges, 5 lug, ect.

I was going to farm out the wire harness to smallcar but i think you guys convinced me its something i can do myself.
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2015, 12:57 PM) *

Once I get the car together and running, it will get torn down and get the full treatment. The last bit of rust repaired. The roll bar will be removed. Various holes plugged and finishing work on the flares done. This is the car that will get a steel hard top.

Thats where I am heading right now. I have built the rotisserie, I have just finished gutting the car, I am have stripped to a bare shell! And well, I am currently trying to get a local 944 parts guy to get me a hard top, I am thinking solid, but part of me wants to go with a sunroof, and maybe keep A/C out of the car., I'm getting older and things like heat and A/C become much more of a want now. Kinda like a quite exhaust! I have a new set of street wheels coming in. 7 and 9s, x 17s, flares, and right now I am toying with a couple of ideas for cooling. A set of headers, and flipping the intake to keep me from cutting the rear trunk. My list is long!

I have already subscribed, now let the both of us get to building beerchug.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Maybe not in that order rolleyes.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 25 2015, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2015, 12:57 PM) *

Once I get the car together and running, it will get torn down and get the full treatment. The last bit of rust repaired. The roll bar will be removed. Various holes plugged and finishing work on the flares done. This is the car that will get a steel hard top.

Thats where I am heading right now. I have built the rotisserie, I have just finished gutting the car, I am have stripped to a bare shell! And well, I am currently trying to get a local 944 parts guy to get me a hard top, I am thinking solid, but part of me wants to go with a sunroof, and maybe keep A/C out of the car., I'm getting older and things like heat and A/C become much more of a want now. Kinda like a quite exhaust! I have a new set of street wheels coming in. 7 and 9s, x 17s, flares, and right now I am toying with a couple of ideas for cooling. A set of headers, and flipping the intake to keep me from cutting the rear trunk. My list is long!

I have already subscribed, now let the both of us get to building beerchug.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Maybe not in that order rolleyes.gif

I want a/c and heat but no sunroof. My rear trunk bulkhead is already cut from a previous build so no worries about looking stock. I will box in the rear trunk once I know how the engine and trans fits. I will have Scott build a top from scratch. It should be easy for him. I am thinking I may be able to leave out longitudinal reinforcement with the addition of a steel top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.