Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help w/ Collapsible Spare Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Elliot gave me this adp awhile back and I don't know what to do with it. slap.gif What do I need to buy to complete the collapsible spare for my 4 bolt suspension. It is a 4x5 lug adp. On the 5 lug pattern the holes are 3"nominal C-C. I know the 4 bolt pattern is the 914. TIA
GeorgeRud
Though I've never heard of anyone dismounting and mounting a collapsible spare on a different rim, I imagine you could just get another four bolt steel rim and mount the collapsible spare on that rim. Much easier than playing with adapters.
Dave_Darling
I'm not sure exactly what the question is...

The 914 has a 4x130mm bolt pattern. The 911 (and 944 and 928 and lots of other Porsches) use a 5x130mm pattern. Not sure what your 5x3" pattern is from.

--DD
Mike Bellis
Porsche recommends the collapsible spare be replaced every few years. I saw my friends 2004 Cayenne spare inflate and push sideways off the rim instead of inflating directly over the rim. We deflated it and stood on the rim to hold the tire down. It lifted us off the ground as one side wall inflated correct and the other did not. Completely unusable.

If you can find a replacement tire to put on a 914 rim? I think Elliot did this on a 5 lug Fuchs.
Elliot Cannon
Not a fuchs. Just a spare from a 911. Don't know what year. Some tire shops will re-mount a collapsible spare for you on to another rim but apparently it's kind of a PITA.
messix
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 11 2014, 09:27 PM) *

Porsche recommends the collapsible spare be replaced every few years. I saw my friends 2004 Cayenne spare inflate and push sideways off the rim instead of inflating directly over the rim. We deflated it and stood on the rim to hold the tire down. It lifted us off the ground as one side wall inflated correct and the other did not. Completely unusable.

If you can find a replacement tire to put on a 914 rim? I think Elliot did this on a 5 lug Fuchs.

like this did?? keep watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNM95duaOvg
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 11 2014, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 11 2014, 09:27 PM) *

like this did?? keep watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNM95duaOvg

Exactly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNM95duaOvg
EdwardBlume
I had to inflate my 993 spare and it pushed straight out above the rim, but then again, it took 20 minutes in inflate.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 12 2014, 12:27 AM) *

Seems like many do this but the straighten up once they get full.
Did you just not wait long enough to straighten out?

I have one from a 944turbo, still need to get a 12v pump.
76-914
OK, sounds as if I need to get a 911. 993 or 994 rim then purchase a 15" collapsible tire, have it mounted on a rim and carry a 12v pump on board.
Mark Henry
The tire itself likely will mount on any rim, but mine has two valves. I think the one helps with deflation.
bdstone914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2014, 10:01 AM) *

OK, sounds as if I need to get a 911. 993 or 994 rim then purchase a 15" collapsible tire, have it mounted on a rim and carry a 12v pump on board.

You can leave it inflated and not have to carry a compressor. I may still have a 924 space saver with a good tire.
Elliot Cannon
This works for pumping up a spare. First stage of a SCUBA regulator drops pressure to about 120 psi. It will inflate the spare a lot faster than a 12 volt pump. Only problem is, at most places they want to see a SCUBA Cert. card before they will fill the bottle for you.
ClayPerrine
I found that the 15" collapsible spare won't work if you have Boxster calipers. So I got a Boxster spare. biggrin.gif

Those old collapsible spares are unsafe anyway. Even if they have never been used, they are probably dry rotted by now.

RenoRoger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 12 2014, 12:24 PM) *

This works for pumping up a spare. First stage of a SCUBA regulator drops pressure to about 120 psi. It will inflate the spare a lot faster than a 12 volt pump. Only problem is, at most places they want to see a SCUBA Cert. card before they will fill the bottle for you.

My 912E has a collapsible spare. Most 12volt pumps are PITA. It takes forever to get the tire pumped up and those pumps frequently fail e.g. those from Harbor Freight.

I went to Walmart and bought a high volume bicycle pump for $10. Timing myself, I filled the Porsche tire in 5 minutes to 25psi, the recommended pressure, faster than many of the 12 volt electrics. Good exercise for a senior citizen.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 12 2014, 07:29 AM) *

Seems like many do this but the straighten up once they get full.
Did you just not wait long enough to straighten out?

We took it to the dealer (2 blocks from the flat tire) and the service dept could not get it to inflate correctly. They did lend us a POS loaner wheel to get home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.