Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Chime in if you've experienced the welding/ non welding of these laser-cut slots in the stiffening kits. Looks like these are just for break-bends, but the torch is hot now welder.gif
Thanks !
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Seems like there's quite a gap between the reinforcement panel and the trailing arm due to the differences in radius. You could certainly run a bead to close them up at least and that should strengthen the trailing arm. JMHO!
ThePaintedMan
Nice jig and really pretty rosette welds!
Elliot Cannon
Is there any concern about moisture inside the slots? Also, if you make the trailing arms super strong and hit a curb or berm etc., that instead of the trailing arm bending (that is easily replaced) you will damage the chassis where the trailing arm is mounted? Just curious. Also, how does and old guy like you make such nice welds? I've about given up with my TIG machine because my hand ain't as steady as it once was. av-943.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Maltese Falcon
I can just get this xacto blade into the slot, an .035 weld wire will never fully get into this area and penetrate the base metal ( .035 mig wire is next is the knife). I'll have the arms powder coated and all the laser- slots will get sealed up. The back half of this racer is getting a complete going over with extra steel, strengthening, welding. If I'm unlucky enough to bend or break something...I'll make it even stronger blowtorch.gif
Thanks guys for your tips.
Elliot...welding is like flying; you learn it, it's rewarding and you can have fun ! Better with age because "Old guys Rule "!
Marty

Click to view attachment
Jeff Hail
Marty

Weld up the slots and make them look nice. With a 1000 hp the arms need to be strong. With a 1000 hp the stock suspension mounting is well going to break anyways so order Foleys pick up kit and do a "while your in there"
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Dec 12 2014, 07:42 PM) *

Marty

Weld up the slots and make them look nice. With a 1000 hp the arms need to be strong. With a 1000 hp the stock suspension mounting is well going to break anyways so order Foleys pick up kit and do a "while your in there"

Yes Chris sure is the go to guy on 914 chassis equip. We have him on speed dial, and he is good to deal with.
I still like to overkill the parts with more strength.
I like the way you think so I handed off the slot welding to the night shift !
I'll detail tomorrow. Old guys gotta rest up Friday nights.
Marty
Click to view attachment
r_towle
I would agree on all counts.
Weld it up
1000 HP is gonna do damage.
Powder coating is good
Old guys do rule
Elliott is shaky
euro911
If for no other good reason, I'd think that welding them shut would keep moisture from getting in there.

I don't shake (yet) ... guess I'm not old enough poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.