Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
The only thing I know about suby transmissions is that I want one for my eg33 conversion. What model should I buy? What should I expect to pay, Where should I look? Blah, blah, blah.

Thanks in advance!
mgp4591
I'm using an automatic, but then I'm kinda strange... blink.gif
JRust
I believe you are going to want an 02-04 WRX tranny. It can handle the torque of the eg33. A stock forester or outback tranny from a 4 cylinder won't cut it. Axle wise there are some difference's. Also I think a 97-98 out of an RS can handle it too. An STI 6 speed would be sweet but I think there is maybe a 2 year window there that would work. Sorry I don't know this all that well. This is what I've gleaned from reading up & talking with my buddy Ian at Coldwater.
mepstein
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 12 2014, 05:37 PM) *

I believe you are going to want an 02-04 WRX tranny. It can handle the torque of the eg33. A stock forester or outback tranny from a 4 cylinder won't cut it. Axle wise there are some difference's. Also I think a 97-98 out of an RS can handle it too. An STI 6 speed would be sweet but I think there is maybe a 2 year window there that would work. Sorry I don't know this all that well. This is what I've gleaned from reading up & talking with my buddy Ian at Coldwater.

I plan to use just about everything he sells so I'll give him a pm to see what he might already have in stock. thanks
76-914
Read thru Chris and my build threads. That's all covered including clutch info.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2014, 07:16 PM) *

will do - who is chris
returf
If you're going to develop the engine later on, I would go for the sti six speed. I've seen too many broken standard five speeds.
mepstein
QUOTE(returf @ Dec 12 2014, 07:23 PM) *

If you're going to develop the engine later on, I would go for the sti six speed. I've seen too many broken standard five speeds.

Just want 5 speed to attach to an old svx engine. budget build.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 12 2014, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2014, 07:16 PM) *

will do - who is chris

Chris H. on here. He is the guy that responded to your earlier Suby post.
Good guy and has done the EG33 conversion. Outside of our engine choice, tranny, and hydraulic clutch, we approached the conversions from different angles. I think you should look over every ones Suby build, augment and improve our methods for the next builder. When you have that tranny on the bench listen when shifting thru the gears. Reverse makes a distinctly different sound. You'll hear it. Helps in figuring out the shift pattern. Someone posted a Suby index............Britton ????? Sheez, I forget but it's bookmarked if you need it. Although there are a few more builds since that was started there is some very good info there. Enjoy the Challenge. beerchug.gif
rnellums
Pick the newest one you can find with the tallest gears. I've got an 03 2.5 RS mated to my 3.0-6 and while the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd is great, revs are pretty high on the highway for cruising.
a914622
I am going with the late model cable shift 6 speed. 2010 gt and up as well as a few spec B . In 12 all the 6 speed are cable shift. Much improved tranny redesigned with wider gears and able to handle the 300 tork of the Diesel engines.
Search auto-parts dot com. They run 1500-2000.

The sti trannys are bigger. Long,tall, and all the rage for the wrx guys that keep braking the 5 speeds trying to do a 4wheel burn out. So 3-4k and I'm not sure it will fit?
If your looking at the 5 speeds on the cheap almost any of the hyd clutch ones will work. Remember the 914 drops almost 1000 lbs off a wrx and with the tranny only 2wd I think the tires are going to go before the tranny.

The 5 speeds are unbalivably simple to rebuild. The bearing press it the only pain in the ass.

You want to match the clutch with the flywheel. Wrx is the same as the 911 and needs the pull style arm and slave cylinder.

Good luck. Jcl

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.