Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I seperate the terminals from the plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
The terminals are loose in the housing but they will not come out. There has to be some kind of tool that will reach in to that special place

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
There is a small tab on the terminal that holds the terminals in place. I usually use a small screw driver or pick to push the tab in and free the terminal. You would have to stick it in from the front of the connector IIRC.
JeffBowlsby
Not all wire terminals have tangs, but for those that do:

toolguy
There is a little tab that bends up on the side of the copper connector. . It catches the lip inside the plastic housing. . There is a 'correct tool' to release them but a tiny jewelers screwdriver will work. .
Look inside and see where it is, insert the screwdriver and depress the tab until it passes the lip in the housing. . and pull out the copper connector. . If you have to force it, you don't have the tab depressed enough. . they come out easily.
bdstone914
On the flat side of the connector there is a tab that has to be depress to remove the terminals. I use a small paddle shaped dental tool to remove them.
You can make a tool by flattening a piece of thin stiff wire.
Harpo
This is what I love about 914world, there are always very helpful people to answer my dumb questions

Thanks guys

David
TheCabinetmaker
Nice pic Jeff. Kinda says it all.
toadman
Years ago I purchased a tool just for this purpose. It was made by Lisle and I bought it at CarQuest. It works really well. I have had no casualties.

I checked the Carquest website and they have a 3-piece set of these tools, but not the single one I bought. If you want to take a look, the 3-piece set is PN 57750. You may find the single tool if you search a little more.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(toadman @ Dec 13 2014, 05:05 PM) *

Years ago I purchased a tool just for this purpose. It was made by Lisle and I bought it at CarQuest. It works really well. I have had no casualties.

I checked the Carquest website and they have a 3-piece set of these tools, but not the single one I bought. If you want to take a look, the 3-piece set is PN 57750. You may find the single tool if you search a little more.

I use a simple cotter pin with one end ground to fit then throw it away cause I'll lose it anyway!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.