Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The pics you have been waiting for!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
Here it is guys!

Its not pretty sitting there all naked and bare without it's Gelcoat on, BUT at this point it just has to function and be proven. It still didn't turn out too bad considering it wasn't made in a mold!

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/r_d_914_dtm.htm

Nevermind those pics of engine parts- Charles goofed up when he loaded them in a jiffy for me today. (those are a newly designed piston for a wild chamber Len and I designed and a 66x100 bore size)

We finished the mock up over the weekend and its ready for the dyno next week!

This shroud is the first one and it is set up for guys with full external oil systems, full flow and accusumps- like my car. After I make this version work it will shed some light on what I need to modify to physically go further with to fit into the 914 and still utilize the factory oil cooler. I have two possibilities of that at the present.

The other design locates a small efficient cooler normally used externally in the sheetmetal just forward of the engine toward the cockpit of the 914. This version will blow air into a duct we are making now, through the sheetmetal and out the bottom where another duct will be that has a venturi effect to help pull air through the cooler even faster as speed increases!

Its amazing that I have gotten this far with it with everything else going on here!!!!!!!!

For those that are not on my list but would like to be email the Mad Scientist at productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com
Aaron Cox
oh dude... that looks hot! smilie_pokal.gif

whats the expected cost? when does the one that supports stock + external oil coolers come out?????

drooley.gif
Allan
SWEET!!!! Doe it do away with all of the other tin?
Aaron Cox
oh...the modified crossbar set up to clear the alternator idea.gif , and those are TINY velocity stacks!!!
URY914
I like the no spark wire look. Where's the dizzy?
redshift
ohmy.gif

oh god i want that it looks cool and man i want that i want it

HOLY CRAP! BLOWER TIME!!

m
dlo914
that is one sleek look... smilie_pokal.gif boldblue.gif
r_towle
those are cut little velocity stacks!

Cool work.

Rich
dinomium
That is very kewl indeed! Shane is already thinking of how to ask for a horizontal mounted fan version!
laugh.gif
BigD9146gt
Very kool!!!!

Jake, what kind of performance differences do you see with different lenght velosity stacks? In which occations do you want to use what lenght?
Jake Raby
All that velocity stack info is highly proprietary! I posted some tests a few weeks back but after my last round of tests and the results I won't be doing that anymore!

The power gains with certain stacks with certain manifolds on certain combos with certain exhaust systems is AMAZING! When I see people running huge stacks on a TIV now it just makes me laugh!

To answer that question directly... "The short stacks and short manifolds compliment the engine combination when coupled with the Tangerine Racing Header"

BUT I'll be testing the hell out of this combo with various stacks and manifolds for sure because this is MY engine for MY 914! I'm not afraid to wear it out on the dyno...

As for a Horizontal fan system- It is worthless- This set up has beat the shit out of everything I have tested and ran in every application- Period. MORE AIR DOESN"T MEAN SHIT! You must direct that air to the pertinent parts of the engine that run hottest, the DTM does that with no sweat.

Notice that Velocity stack on the rear of the shroud?? Tht is the artwork of spunone- a member here. I had him make it to try and muffle the whirr of the cooling fan which can be pretty loud in a beetle, yet alone a 914 where the engine is right behind your head. I am going to test it with and without the stack to see if it impacts cooling and sound.

As for cost, this version will be about 785.00 +/- for the shroud and air sealing tin to seal it up like factory..

Yes, the DTM does away with ALL factory tin and you can drill it for 1.7/8 or 2.0 spark plugs!
nebreitling
$800 -- that's not a bad deal, too clap.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Feb 2 2005, 10:01 PM)
$800 -- that's not a bad deal, too clap.gif

do you take installments biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Nah... I don't have time to keep up with the books on that.....

Brett W
Looks like I could almost fit a good bell crank linkage behind the fan shroud.

What was the problem with the Beetle version in the 914?

Jake, did Mark put a cage in your car?
fiid
Nice setup dude. Looks great.

smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
I did set up a bell crank linkage behind the shroud BUT it was impossible to attach a throttle cable in any sane manner and make it function. Also in a full bodied car the partition between the trunk and the engine bay would make it a bitch to work on with little space. I am working on two more linkage possibilities as we speak but can't do it till I get it in the car.

as for the TI version and why I didn't use it:
The engine bay lid would not close with the standard TI version and the oil cooler housing interferes with the body terriably. Mark runs one because that whole section of his car is moved aft allowing it all to clear the body. Mark's head temps dropped 75 degrees from the 911 shroud as soon as he installed the DTM. In his app I only drive the fan @ 1.24:1 instead of 1.58:1... I would imagine that at 1.58:1 he'd drop another 25 degrees.

The added power he made seemed to help him pick up a solid second at roebling!

Mark didn't install a cage in my 914, I'm going to get one from Chris Foley.
Brett W
You need to get your cage in by April 16-17 and do the Solo 1 School at Little Talledega. Then you will have your solo 1 license and you can come over and run the Crow Mountain Hill Climb in Oct. Be nice to have another 914, at least on of us will have a VW motor.
Jake Raby
Brett, with all this stuff going on there is NO WAY I can get away for that long...

Wish I could!
seanery
that thing looks great Jake!
I think I saw a bit of it in the raw footage for your video?
Brett W
It's cake. When Chris comes down in a few weeks tell him to bring all the cage for it. While he is sitting around waiting for the two races he can install your cage, inhouse. Presto instant cage. welder.gif

Then you tell all your customers that you will be doing some very extensive R&D and will be away from the phone for 48 hours. driving.gif
Jake Raby
If it were that easy........
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 2 2005, 07:05 PM)
...and those are TINY velocity stacks!!!

Hey, us Type 3ers could use those small velocity stacks for our carbed engines! Does your shop sell them? All the ones I've seen are super tall or are like the ones I currently have, short but straight cut (no properly curved lip) dry.gif
Jake Raby
I have them, they are CNC and 100 bucks a set.. I get them from europe.
SpecialK
Hey Jake,

I noticed that your DTM system is also offered in carbon graphite, and some carbon/kevlar hybrids. Did you guys ever consider Texalium? It's an aluminum coated cloth (s-glass?), that costs less than real carbon cloth, but looks just as cool or cooler when laminated (I've got silver, but I've also seen gold [too "pimp" for me], and blue). The aluminum coating would also work great (in theory) for reflecting heat away from the engine compartment. I believe the stuff I've got is a 2x2 twill fabric, which is extremely formable, but I'd have to double check.

want a little sample to check out for yourself? PM me.

(file pic)

edit: Here's a site that's got it for $17.95 per yd.

http://www.icancomposites.com/
spunone
Damm Jake it looks great .Now fire the Beast up AHHHH beer.gif
Jake Raby
Sure, I have the capability of doing the shroud in the "aluminized fiberglass" ... My C/F tech builds Rockets as a day job and parts for the U-2 spy plane so he can do it..

BUT, I save them for my personal engines! I'm using one on the 3.0.. Getting the weaves to form right and join on a piece with as many turns as a DTM is a bitch for him....

I gotta have something thats special out of all this work!
davep
Is this the same as the one used on your engine? Was used with the Solex 40PII.
Jake Raby
Yep...
davep
Thanks, then they are NOT for sale!
Scott S
Hi Jake -
I am very very interested in the DTM shroud - the one that will use the stock oil cooler. Does the price include the braketry needed for the alternator? Also, I am a bit confused by the lack of a dizzy in the pics - I am guessing it is simply an additional hole on the back side.

You definitely "got skills"....
JmuRiz
confused24.gif I don't see the confusion...Doesn't the dizzy just go in the normal spot? This engine is currently in the build up process...that's why it's 'missing' some stuff.
Jake Raby
Its on the dyno...............

I heard it fire 5 min ago.........

It's pissed!
redshift
smile.gif

ThIs tHrEaD iS WoRthLeSs WiThOuT A sOuNd FiLe!

M
Jake Raby
Just took it straight to red line......

Bounced it off 8K already.
redshift
laugh.gif

SURE YOU DID!

poke.gif
Jake Raby
Had to see if my new valvetrain was worth a damn...

Tomorrow I'm gonna play with it for half the day...

Monday it'll get brutalized all day...

Tuesday it gets fitted into the 914.
seanery
Jake,
I need a test....can you run it at 6k for 10 minutes then miss a shift and rev it to about 9500 or 10000 and see if it survives?
If it does, then it's Sean-Proof! laugh.gif
Jake Raby
Sean,
Thats a test alright!

BTW- Tried to call you back
redshift
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 3 2005, 09:39 PM)
Tuesday it gets fitted into the 914.

Holy crap! I'd better make plans to deliver 'the 914' on Monday then.

smile.gif

M
Jake Raby
Nice try....LOL
redshift
The customer is always right!

-whistles nervously-

M
Jake Raby
Not round here...
LOL
ChrisFoley
At RAT the customer always pray.gif to the Mad Scientist! laugh.gif

Hey, how did I get dragged into this thread anyway?

Brett, there is barely time for Jake and me to get my car ready for the race in GA let alone fab a cage to bring with me and install. That will have to be a special trip. Maybe you want me to do your cage at the same time so it is worth my while to drive down without the race car. idea.gif
Have welder.gif will travel!
Jake Raby
No need to bring the welder...

Got a Synchrowave 250 Tig almost spankin new sitting in the corner of the machine shop...

Miller Mig as well
spunone
Ok Jake what did it sound like unsure.gif
Jake Raby
The fan is quiet...

BUT those straight cut gears whine like a bitch!
spunone
Ok so now it looks Kool sounds Kool I just hope it helps to Cool and alls good.Good luck with the testin clap.gif
Brett W
Sorry Chris, I got my cage covered myself. Just finished my Chassis jig and set the car on it late Friday night. What is your plan for the GA race? Still want me to ride over and help out?

Jake
The straight cut cam gears sound awesome in a 914. People ask you what kinda motor you got in there, after you go by. They get old on a 4 hour trip, but take earplugs and its all good.
Jake Raby
I normally don't like straight cut gears, but I decided to run them on this engine with my thrust bearing modification.

The engine isn't making the power that I had expected, after a full day on the dyno I can't match what the old engine made for power!

Looks like it'll be coming apart for some changes, or perhaps I'll install it, test the shroud in the car for a while and then rip it out and apart for a cam swap in a few months.

We are swapping some venturis and etc now and fighting to get the power up pull by pull! The torque curve is phenomenol- its just not high enough on the chart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.