Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Ford Transit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
My father and I are looking into getting one of these vans for his picture framing business and it looks to be a good van for hauling supplies and making deliveries. Looking at a used fourth generation, maybe 2007-08 or newer.

Anyone here have any experience with these vans? Things to look for? Problem areas? Thanks for any help!
bigkensteele
I could swear that I saw a similar thread with responses a while back, but a search on "ford transit" didn't turn it up.
ldsgeek
The company I work for has one and I can't stand it other than around town. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that is both under-powered and under-weight. It has the exact same drive-train as (I think) the base Contour, other than the gearing, pushing a rather large brick through the air (the under-powered part). And to get the 1500LB payload they had to cut the weight as much as possible, meaning any breeze makes it want to change lanes (the under-weight part). If his business is all local, no highway, it might be OK, but much highway driving would make me look for another vehicle. Just my opinion, ymmv, etc.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Dec 17 2014, 06:22 PM) *

The company I work for has one and I can't stand it other than around town. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that is both under-powered and under-weight. It has the exact same drive-train as (I think) the base Contour, other than the gearing, pushing a rather large brick through the air (the under-powered part). And to get the 1500LB payload they had to cut the weight as much as possible, meaning any breeze makes it want to change lanes (the under-weight part). If his business is all local, no highway, it might be OK, but much highway driving would make me look for another vehicle. Just my opinion, ymmv, etc.

That's the type of responses I recall from the earlier thread.
Cap'n Krusty
My son traded in his Hyundai Veloster (OK, he's into "unique looking" cars) when his daughter was born and bought the Transit LWB passenger version. They love it. Room for the rather large dog, the baby, and all the stuff he and his wife have to schlep around when they travel. Seats fold down into a sturdy floor, reasonable fuel economy, ugly enough for his tastes. It's a practical package for what they need. I'm sure the van version works just as well for what it is. Next choices are substantially bigger and all that comes along with that.

The Cap'n
EdwardBlume
I remember when these came out. I think they are based on Ford's Euro van, and Opel perhaps.

People found that they are very versatile. Easy to drive. Imitators have popped up ie Nissan.

Go to a dealer and drive it. Parts? Its a Ford.
okieflyr
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 17 2014, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Dec 17 2014, 06:22 PM) *

That's the type of responses I recall from the earlier thread.

This was the same response I got from a contractor using one. He stated bad visibility to the right rear due to the solid panels (no glass) on his company supplied van.

andys
With my research, what I found were negative comments mostly from the perspective of what it is not, rather than what it is. Highway/freeway hauler; no. Urban/metro light delivery; yes. There sure are a lot of them on the streets. I'd suggest you drive one and make your own assessment as to how well it fits your needs. I would think the picture framing business should fit well within it's scope.
Andys
Ferg
Are we talking the brand new just released Transit Connect or older Connect, two way different rigs.
bigkensteele
This is what I remember reading. Can't believe it was 4 years ago. A lot can change in that time...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1365395
Ian Stott
The company my wife works for bought 6 or 7 of them and they are handy in and around the city, good mileage etc. lots of transmission problems and vehicles sat at the dealership waiting parts as under the warranty they can fix or replace, making us wait 6 or 7 weeks for parts instead of replacing the tranny left us with a bad experience and are replacing them with a different vehicle. Canada Post uses them and they have experienced tranny issues as well.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.