Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do I remove early /6 cam sprocket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
With the 46mm crowfoot tool and cam holder tool, I removed my camshaft nut. Took a lot of force but no big deal. In Wayne's book, it seems that the cam sprocket should just slide off once the cam nut is removed. Mine will not budge. Am I missing something?
rgalla9146
There is a pin in one of the sprocket holes.
Put the nut back on hand tight.
Rotate the engine to TDC.
Remove the chain tensioner.
Take the nut and wave washer back off.
Use a spark plug as a tool (remove the threaded connector) to pull the pin out.
Chain is now loose.
Remove sprocket.
tornik550
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 18 2014, 09:54 PM) *

There is a pin in one of the sprocket holes.
Put the nut back on hand tight.
Rotate the engine to TDC.
Remove the chain tensioner.
Take the nut and wave washer back off.
Use a spark plug as a tool (remove the threaded connector) to pull the pin out.
Chain is now loose.
Remove sprocket.

I had tried all of this with one exception- I did not necessarily have the engine at TDC. Why does it need to be at TDC?

I removed the nut, chain tensioner and the little pin. I thought that the sprocket should just slide off the camshaft however mine is still on their very tight.
roblav1
All of mine always easily came off after removing the pin. You need to take the chain tension off the sprocket beforehand. It's not necessary to put it at TDC, but it will make life easier as you continue taking it apart.

It it's jammed on there, someone messed it up. You can't re-time the cam if that sprocket jams on it.
rgalla9146
There is no technical reason for TDC. Just a way to keep order.
But do not rotate the crank after removing the chains as long as the cams are still installed.
I would lightly pry or wiggle the sprocket.
It is not too thick where it goes onto the inner sprocket.
tornik550
I wasn't sure if there was a extra pin or something that I was missing. Because of everyone's instructions, ok ew that everything was off and it wouldn't hurt to pull harder. I had to start the movement by prying a slight bit then it can right off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.