Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Clear Taillight Sneak Peek!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClaussStudios
I can make an all orange lens easy enough ,, It would be ALL orange back up light too,, I could make the orange as dark as stock lenses or very faint orange with the led bulbs It will still appear red when light are on. It is hard to say with a darker orange If the red bulbs will still look red thru the orange lens. mueba.gif
Ferg
"I can make an all orange lens easy enough"

If you could do that could you take a euro lens and orange out the white\clear backups and make a french lens replica easy??
Rockaria
Now I am just thinking out loud here but...

Couldn't you just take a clear set of the lenses and get some translucent paint and make any color combo you wish? I have done this befor for a display I was making that needed a blue see through window. I just painted with translucent blue and it seemed to work perfectly. Do it from the rear and it should last a long time...

Just a thought or am I freekin nuts here?
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jun 3 2003, 08:25 AM)
Those would look bitchin' on a silver car... cool.gif

Jen

I had mentioned getting clear ones for the front and Brad told me that clear would look terrible on a silver car...There is a silver car at SSI that has clear covers on the front. I don't think it looks bad, but it doesn't stand out either.
Jenny
Don't listen to Brad, he doesn't know anything about 914's... biggrin.gif

It's so rare that he's away from his computer, we must all take advantage of it!! Lyressa, let's do a repaint on your car before he comes back. What do you think about blue?? tongue.gif

Jen
Lyressa Roberts
Eeewwww!!! No, I think I'll stick with silver... 8^)
seanery
And it is YOUR car. Let him do the mechanical, you should make it how you like it....as long as its not pink biggrin.gif
Lyressa Roberts
That's true. It's one car I will not allow Brad to sell. He had a really cool red one at one time and swore up and down he was going to keep it, and next thing I know, he sold it. confused24.gif

Not this one. tongue.gif
ClaussStudios
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Jun 4 2003, 01:51 PM)
Now I am just thinking out loud here but...

Couldn't you just take a clear set of the lenses and get some translucent paint and make any color combo you wish? I have done this befor for a display I was making that needed a blue see through window. I just painted with translucent blue and it seemed to work perfectly. Do it from the rear and it should last a long time...

Just a thought or am I freekin nuts here?

yes that could be done too I just was not sure how people would react to that type of lens just having the paint for color on the inside as opposed to having pigment in the plastic like original
Jenny
You know brad's motto. Everything's for sale, for the right price. biggrin.gif

Jen
Part Pricer
The perfect companion. Add this to your diet of rice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2418350864
seanery
you know for $20 I'd consider it for the white car. but not for $35.
Bleyseng
I think hot pink would be cool, it was a factory color for a limited run of cars. Hmmm, that might be even more rare than the grasshopper!

Geoff
airsix
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 5 2003, 12:24 PM)
I think hot pink would be cool, it was a factory color for a limited run of cars. Hmmm, that might be even more rare than the grasshopper!

Geoff

Geoff, some things are rare for good reason.

-Ben M.
Part Pricer
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Schnell944
i would be interested in these for my car....it's a charcoal color, and i think it would look good....my lenses are cracked and I took them off, leaving the reflective material(kinda like what it would look like) and it looks good. I'm sorry if I missed this, but do you know a ball park figure of where these will be priced? thanks!
Part Pricer
Greg has not set the price yet. But, I privately asked him the same question. I found his ballpark number to be very reasonable. Send him an email and ask if you would like to know before he publicizes the price.
Qarl
Airsix...

I'm sorry If it was taken as an insult... it wasn't meant to be sorry.

And I will go and delete my posts and you can go.... finger.gif

Regards,
airsix
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 5 2003, 02:04 PM)
Airsix...

I'm sorry If it was taken as an insult... it wasn't meant to be sorry.

And I will go and delete my post and you can go.... finger.gif

Regards,

Ah relax. I'm just giving you a hard time. Greg is doing something for the community and I just got tired of the jabs at his efforts.

-Ben M.
Qarl
Okay... It's still nice using the finger guy!

Just a lot of talk on different threads about rice.... hee hee!

I hope he can figure out the multi-color lense issue, because it would sure be better than paying $125 or more a lense!

I think from the responses here, that there is more of a desire for the colored lenses than clear, because it seems that will only look good for certain colors.

I'll consider changing my avatatar too... maybe.

Hey... it's not very easy finding a picture of a bowl of rice on the internet. Pictures of bowls of rice are not really that worthy of posting on the internet. pray.gif
airsix
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 5 2003, 02:42 PM)
I hope he can figure out the multi-color lense issue, because it would sure be better than paying $125 or more a lense!

I think from the responses here, that there is more of a desire for the colored lenses than clear, because it seems that will only look good for certain colors.

I agree. I want colored lenses, but anything is better than 30yr old faded cracked crap I have now. I plan on buying a set of Greg's lenses and trying my hand at coloring them using translucent paint (on the inside). I am very confident that done carefully and masked in the right spots, it would turn out very nice. I've done this before with a piece of lexan and I'm sure you could do it with these lenses. We'll see.

-Ben M.
ClaussStudios
ok board!!,,,,
I have Heard the masses
I am going to do some experimenting with color in the mold
what is going to excite the masses the most
what are the colors of the world?

USA= clear red red
euro= clear red amber
france = amber red amber (with tiny white flags waving inside)
Italy = clear red clear (was there such a thing?)
any other requests flag.gif
airsix
QUOTE(ClaussStudios @ Jun 5 2003, 03:46 PM)

Nope. You're awsome. clap56.gif
-Ben M.
Dave Cawdrey
All amber?
Qarl
There you go. If you can do it, you will clean up. beerchug.gif

Pelican and other places can sell the lenses.
seanery
I'd be interested in Navy Blue. ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClaussStudios @ Jun 5 2003, 04:46 PM)

black red amber (the german flag) ...

Andy
72Signal914
QUOTE(korijo @ Jun 5 2003, 07:53 PM)
All amber?

YES ALL AMBER!!!!!!, I'd switch out the Euro and All Amber ones depending on how I felt that day
Rouser
Definately clear/red/clear.

I'd pay to lose the amber/red/clear euro-lenses I'm currently running. The above would go better with my Italian clear front lenses and shaved sidemarkers.

You'll sell every batch you make.

IPB Image
Gint
How about something a little different.

amber/amber/clear

This way the backup light would function well, but the amber/amber brake/lamp/turn would be weet. Especially on a tangerine car. MDB2.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
72Signal914
confused24.gif blink.gif

amber/amber/clear?? I'm not getting a good picture

How about hot pink/neon yellow/bright green laugh.gif
jonwatts
No one has suggested periwinkle/mauve/toupe !!

Dumb thought of the moment... would it be possible to make each section of the lens separately with tongue/groove ends? Then you could just make all the different colors and slide the pieces together with some Krazy Glue. My apologies if I'm exposing trade secrets tongue.gif
Anton
How about clear/red/red? mellow.gif
airsix
Poor Greg. Little did he know what he was getting into. Pretty soon we'll come full circle and everybody will say "Cool, but what we really want is clear." he he he

-Ben M.
72Signal914
QUOTE(Anton @ Jun 6 2003, 03:24 AM)
How about clear/red/red? mellow.gif

Those are US spec tailights
eitnurg
Ferry Porsche's 914/8 -

red/red/amber
Part Pricer
Visual Representations
ClaussStudios
Hey very nice ! Im going to have to get you to do that for my web site save that!,, as far as price goes ,, It will probably be in the $80 ea or $160 a pair range I want them to be a good deal compared to the $134 ea I paid for my euro lenses flag.gif
72Signal914
Hey Paul good call on the Pink/yellow/Green biggrin.gif

Can't you make a discount for buying 2? Like maybe $140-$150? Instead of doubling the price. I know the price is in the air, but there is more incentive when buying 2
Aaron Cox
hey guys!
while on the topic of taillights, i saw something highly interesting.
on a BMW, M coupe (souped up Z-3) i paid notice to the flares and the tail lights. they dont wrap around the car like a 914 does. but, my question is, for you people who who have flares, would something like this be your cup of tea? (hard to explain) on the 914, the flares are not long, and dont curve very much, they are big bulges.....and the taillights wrapping around the side cause the flarees to not be as body sculpted/elongated as possible.....okay. just thinkin out loud.....
could you put Z 3 style flares on a 914?
Aaron Cox
oops...like this
ClaussStudios
QUOTE(72Signal914 @ Jun 6 2003, 01:28 PM)
Hey Paul good call on the Pink/yellow/Green biggrin.gif

Can't you make a discount for buying 2? Like maybe $140-$150? Instead of doubling the price. I know the price is in the air, but there is more incentive when buying 2

not really I plan on selling them in pairs any way ,, they are redesigned from originals I changed a few things in the appearance of the reflector and the mounting So they are not exact copies of the original People who just want to buy one I suppose I could but it will look slightly different than a stock lens.
72Signal914
acox: I don't think you would be able to since the flare is part of the rear bumper whereas the flare of the 914 is not part of the rear bumper. I might be getting the question you are asking wrong? Did you want to put Z3/M Roadster Flares on a 914 OR Z3/M Roaster 'Style' Fares on a 914.

Clauss: Will they be able to fit in the Porsche factory housing or do you sell it w/ the housing for these lenses since they are not exact copies of originals. Just wondering biggrin.gif
Rouser
If you can provide a set of lenses that will give me this look, consider them SOLD:
ClaussStudios
QUOTE(72Signal914 @ Jun 6 2003, 03:07 PM)
acox: I don't think you would be able to since the flare is part of the rear bumper whereas the flare of the 914 is not part of the rear bumper. I might be getting the question you are asking wrong? Did you want to put Z3/M Roadster Flares on a 914 OR Z3/M Roaster 'Style' Fares on a 914.

Clauss: Will they be able to fit in the Porsche factory housing or do you sell it w/ the housing for these lenses since they are not exact copies of originals. Just wondering biggrin.gif

yes they fit perfectly in the factory housings I am just making the lenses and mounting nuts . boldblue.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ClaussStudios @ Jun 6 2003, 06:39 AM)
Hey very nice ! Im going to have to get you to do that for my web site save that!,, as far as price goes ,, It will probably be in the $80 ea or $160 a pair range I want them to be a good deal compared to the $134 ea I paid for my euro lenses flag.gif

Please, email me when you have a set of Euro lenses ready!

Sold!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.