Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Clear Taillight Sneak Peek!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClaussStudios
IPB Image

a redesign of the mounting and reflector. uses staineless allen bolts ,, reinforced and includes mounting plastic nuts of original design and rubber seal.

probably the first sets will be ready in 2-3 weeks
Price not determined yet but not outrageous or anything
thanks
Greg biggrin.gif
Lawrence
Interesting.

Are you selling the tail lights, or performing the service on an exchange basis?

-Rusty
ClaussStudios
these are New molded plastic lenses will be for sale like i mentioned in abt 3 weeks

I do not want any old ones ! biggrin.gif
Jenny
Those would look bitchin' on a silver car... cool.gif

Jen
Bleyseng
I see you sell the smoke lenses too for that "Rice look". I guess the clear rear lenses will sell too.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
I think the clear lenses will sell very well for the 914 crowd.

I'm tired of the old school Euro lenses and the bland stock ones.

If he can do these.. there should be NO reason he cant dup the OE styles.

Greg,

Are you setup for a hundreds of lenses in production..or is this a onesy twoesy gig for you ??

Can you bring this sample set out to Cal Speedway this coming weekend ?? I will be there and would like to take some better pics of the products and actually touch them.

B
Lawrence
these are New molded plastic lenses will be for sale like i mentioned in abt 3 weeks

I do not want any old ones!

Thanks for the clarification. Can you do new molded ones in stock colors, or just clear?
Part Pricer
I can provide the answer to that one.

"The lenses are molded in one piece so i would have a problem with the 3 colors maybe in the future.. "
ClaussStudios
not really set up to make 100s in short order but if the demand was there they could come out at a steady pace It was just a sneak peek ,, I still have some details to work on before they are ready
thanks
Greg flag.gif
Bleyseng
How about clear lenses for the front? That I would be interested in too.
Geoff
Britain Smith
Do you plan to make clear lenses for the 911 body? Front and/or Rear?

-Britain
Britain Smith
Since we are on the "rice" subject...does anyone know where I can get the piller gauge pods for an early 911? I need a place to put a couple of guages and I don't want to chop my dash up. Do they make these of Porsches? I saw that the turbo boxster in excellence had them...anyone?

-Britain
Gint
I *think* a lot of those gauge pods you see on A-pillars have a generic plastic base that you trim to fit the contour of your pillar. So one size fits all.
Dave Cawdrey
What about colored bulbs? Are they available?
seanery
What about colored bulbs? Are they available?

How bout a red or orange or yellow sharpie! wacko.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Schmuck69 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:23 AM)
Since we are on the "rice" subject...does anyone know where I can get the piller gauge pods for an early 911? I need a place to put a couple of guages and I don't want to chop my dash up. Do they make these of Porsches? I saw that the turbo boxster in excellence had them...anyone?

-Britain

The turbo'd Boxter in the new Excellence has the A pillar gauge set up.....they should be able to tell ya where they were sourced....
Jeroen
Greg,

A big thumbs up!!!
Please keep us posted when you get more details

cheers,

Jeroen
TonyAKAVW
Sounds like a good application for LED turn signals. You don't see the color of an LED when you look at it, unlike bulbs that have a colored film on them. If there's interest I could try making up a few prototypes.

-Tony
StratPlayer
Could run these type of bulbs behind the lens, I running the bulb that replaces the 1157 dual buld, this buld had 19 leds on it so far so good.
StratPlayer
can use these for the 1157 dual and the 1156 bulbs
TonyAKAVW
Where do you get those?
JeffBowlsby
I think these clear lenses look very cool...keep up the good work. Not for everyone, probably not for me...

But on the right color car they could make a bold statement.
Rockaria
I have seen those LED Bulbs at all of the Local auto parts stores. You can find them at your local "Ricearito" shop as well. Those shops are easy to find. Just look for a parking lot full of ricers or just follow the meggaphone exaust noise right to one! cool_shades.gif
airsix
Greg, I think it's great that you are doing this. With the cost of tail light lens replacements in the very high 3-digits, it's nice to know you are producing an alternative. Keep up the good work.

-Ben M.
Scott Carlberg
From the June 2, 2003 issue of AutoWeek:

"you know those clear tailight lenses so popular with the sport compact crowd?
Well, they're not all perfectlyl legal".

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration fined American Products Co.,
one of the biggest suppliers of the lenses, $650,000, after 'thousands' of
items sold by APC ... were deemed out of complaince with federal law".

"APC countered that it was a matter of interpreting the federal law, and that
all of their lenses are now legal".

Personally, I like the look of the Red, White & Amber euro lenses.
kdfoust
I always assumed that the clear lenses were "illegal." Out here the cops have other stuff to worry about though so your risk is probably low unless you get stopped for something else first.

I'll put clears all the way around on my car (the only reason I hadn't is that there weren't clears available for taillights). My car is metallic green and the orange turn signals and side markers just don't look all that great, a little too much of a halloween color scheme for my taste.

Have fun,
Kevin
Brad Roberts
I seriously think these will sell. The typical mail order houses.. will be calling him.

B
Part Pricer
I'm thinking about taking that picture and using it to start an auction on eBay. I'm guessing something that "rare" could bring at least 400 bucks. rolleyes.gif
Brad Roberts
Ha ha...

I know you are the creative type Paul.

I want him to buy a better digital camera.. that pic SUCKS.

B
72Signal914
They do make front turn signal lenses for hte 914, I believe they were used in Italy only and cost a pretty penny over the US and Euro front lenses since not many were made.

The lenses can't go with every car. I would think that silver, white, maybe black would work. On my Signal Orange, it would look like shit and the Euro lenses fit better for the style of the car.

On a side note are you going to be selling the whole housing or just the lenses or can you choose. That'll make a huge difference in price.

Nice concept and it'll definately work, but I think it takes the originality away from the car.
scottb
what about a semi-opaque lens in the color of the car? could use the colored bulbs strat was talking about. for those with painted targa tops and no side vinyl that could be interesting.......
914Timo
Very nice !! I would like to have a pair. pray.gif

Put me in the list (if the price is not astronomical). boldblue.gif
jonwatts
I'd consider (seriously) buying a pair. My car will look weird enough and I have the clear Italian front lenses so these would go along nicely.
Qarl
Edited...

knock yourself out!
jonwatts
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 4 2003, 05:46 AM)
What are you doing?! Are you trying to make the 914 look like a Honda!

Yes, Karl, that's exactly what I'm doing. I've already got the Civic EX badges, the "Powered by HONDA" windshield banner, the blue LED exhaust tip, and enough neon to require I run 2 alternators.

Got a problem with that? mad.gif

What's better than beating a 911 around the track in a 914? Beating a 911 around the track in a riced out 914!
abm914
Greg

Would be very interested in a set of the clear rear lenses, there would probably be a few other UK 914'ers who'd like a pair too.
Let us know how much!!

Also, clear indicator (turn signal) lenses are available again from Porsche via their classic parts service: Porsche Classic Parts

Adam
Anton
Why make the rear of the 914 into a luna park attraction?

And yes, Porsche spare parts cost mucho dinero (the rear lenses are no exception). But is this a good reason to replace every possible part of the car with some inventive after-market solution? bs.gif

Not in my book.
Ferg
I think that they will look ok on some cars depending on color, but I would much rather see a 911R type rear tailight treatment, with 3 circular lights instead of two, and a color matched fiberglass surround. Just my 2 cents Ferg.
ClaussStudios
well custom lenses Is what I do!I can make them any way you want! any color you want (not multiple colors though not yet) Rarely do i see an all original 914 on the road any way I agree they are not for everyone but enough people have requested such an item that I made it!

Greg flag.gif
seanery
Greg,

I applaud your effort. We need more people making parts and stuff for our cars.
Even if it's something I won't use, I think it's cool for you to do this.
Gint
I applaud your effort. We need more people making parts and stuff for our cars.
Even if it's something I won't use, I think it's cool for you to do this.

I agree 100%. I won't use a set of clear lenses on my car, but I would encourage you or anyone else to continue developing parts for 914's.

I want an all orange lens. beer.gif
Part Pricer
There must be some interest. My auction is doing pretty well.

Clear Lens Auction
scotty
laugh.gif you are so BAD, Paul!
seanery
Very well done, Paul! wink.gif
Brad Roberts
That is HELLA sweet Paul...

You never cease to amaze me.. too much fun.

B
Gint
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Lawrence
Paul, that's too funny. I about fell out of my chair.

Thank you for the first smile of the day! lol2.gif

-Rusty
ClaussStudios
wow too funny I just about had a heart attack when i saw that,,, If they do that well On ebay I will not be making too many because of my Frequent vacations to Hawaii biggrin.gif
72Signal914
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 4 2003, 03:28 PM)
I want an all orange lens.

True that, if there is a way to do that I'd take them
Jeroen
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jun 4 2003, 09:40 PM)
There must be some interest. My auction is doing pretty well.

Clear Lens Auction

WICKED!

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.