Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early vs late doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
I have one early and one late door for my car. Do I need a matching set to seal to top?
SirAndy
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Dec 30 2014, 08:25 AM) *
Do I need a matching set to seal to top?

Yes.

popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 30 2014, 08:54 AM) *
Yes

To expand on that a bit, if the door doesn't match the top and seal, it will leak.

Here is a classic thread showing the differences between early and late tops:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129
smile.gif
raw1298
Ok. So I have one early and one late top as well. Looks like I need to get a driver's side late door. Thanks Andy.
Mikey914
Interesting,
I know the WAS tops, which were molded on the late style were interchangeable for early or late cars. So the top seal really should be about the same. There is a different end cap on the door that is slightly different in height. The doors have the same physical dimensions, it would seem that you should be able to address with seals.

Hit me up and I'll send you the seals if you post your results here.
-mark
raw1298
It will be awhile before I fit the doors back on. I was looking ahead, did not want to paint the car with wrong doors if they don't work with the top. This all started when I found an inch of Bondo on my early passenger door and replaced it with a late door.
raw1298
In reality, I may never drive with the top on or in the rain with this car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 30 2014, 09:37 AM) *
So the top seal really should be about the same.

Nope, the seals have a different shape and are mounted slightly different.

The later seals have a distinct "lip" and the top of the window slides into that lip.
Earlier seals do not have that and relay on a perfect alignment of the top glass to seal correctly.
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.