Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which is more cost effective- /6 head options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I would like heads with 2.7l port sizes for my /6. I currently have a very nice set of rebuilt 2.2l heads and I have the opportunity to obtain 2.7l heads for a very reasonable price however they need rebuilt. Both heads have the same valve sizes.

Which would be more cost effective-

1. Have the 2.2l heads ported to 2.7l port sizes?

or

2. Have the 2.7l heads rebuilt? (I know that it is difficult to give an exact rebuild price without inspecting the heads- just looking for educated guesses)

Please stick with the two above options biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 30 2014, 12:48 PM) *

lol-2.gif

#3 just machine port the intake openings, way cheaper than a full port job.
tornik550
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 30 2014, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 30 2014, 12:48 PM) *

lol-2.gif

#3 just machine port the intake openings, way cheaper than a full port job.

So I am going to look very ignorant here but is this option a legitimate option? I thought that the 2.7l exhaust ports were larger than the 2.2l? I realize that his may be a joke however I wanted to check.
Mark Henry
No, not a joke. Laughing you only give 2 options.

I'm just saying porting to me is reshaping the whole ports, bench flowing, etc., thus expensive. Just opening the ports a bit on a milling machine will be a lot faster and the results are consistently the same.
Machine the exhausts as well.
tornik550
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 30 2014, 02:31 PM) *

No, not a joke.
I'm just saying porting to me is reshaping the whole ports, bench flowing, etc., thus expensive. Just opening the ports a bit on a milling machine will be a lot faster and the results are consistently the same.

Do you know anyone who can machine port?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 30 2014, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 30 2014, 02:31 PM) *

No, not a joke.

Do you know anyone who can machine port?

I can, but I'm in Canada.
Any good shop should be able to, but I'd talk to cgarr over on the bird board.
r_towle
i am inclined to agree with Mark here.

if the valve sizes are the same, and the heads are rebuilt you have the base setup for what you need.

Using todays technology, you should be able to machine everything identical.

Do you have head flow charts for both sets of heads?
Have you given any thought to what you will be gaining for the money if you do this work on the heads?

agree.gif
Two options is not acceptable on this forum, we can make up at least 9 more options.
Lets get Mueller in this and Dave...that will give you at least three or four more choices...

rich
gereed75
Just had a set of 2.4 head ports taken from 30 to 36 by Craig Garrett (Cgarr). Great service, great work and very reasonable. Talk with him. He is very easy to deal with and helpful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.