Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding helmets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
OK I know this has been beat to death but I feel I have to bring it up again. I had a nice high dollar helmet that died. It had internal batteries that cannot be changed and one shorted. I fell for the low price HF helmet. It seemed to be OK and I did use it but I felt that I was getting "flashed". It just seemed to be a little slow. Well I was welding on my sons car replacing a panel. This requires lots of spots. Very short bursts. My eyes started seeing spots in the middle of my vision. Now I am welding in the dark. I purchased a Lincolin helmet. It has 4 sensors and several controls. The window is huge. I also used the "Cheater" lens. OMG what a difference. Helmet cost me 300.00 but I would go blind with the HF unit. In all fairness, there is a possibility the HF batteries are a little weak. I did put it in the sun for awhile. I am sure it could take more time for a full charge. There is no way to tell. The batteries cannot be changed or measured. The upside of this is my HF helmet makes for a nice grinding helmet by removing the lens
URY914
I've posted in threads on other forums about cheap self-darkening helmets. I don't get why people would risk eye damage for $100. headbang.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 2 2015, 07:53 PM) *

I've posted in threads on other forums about cheap self-darkening helmets. I don't get why people would risk eye damage for $100. headbang.gif

I purchased the HF unit with the opinion that probably these self-darkening lenses were made by the same supplier. I suspected the more expensive units were simply overpriced. I may have been correct that they are made by the same supplier but the difference between them I found to be huge. I welded for several hours and I never felt I was "flashed" by the new helmet. The darkening seemed seamless.
Mark Henry
I don't get the price bit confused24.gif

The wife bought me a Lincoln helmet from Tractor Supply (TSC) last christmas for $100.
Works great, but the cheater lens I bought makes it damn near perfect.

Edit: just checked the TSC flyer Lincohn regular $190 on sale for $100, Hobart reg $140 sale $80
TargaToy
I used a cheap $60 self-darkening for years (Northern Industries maybe?) and thought it was great. Used it til it began to fail and I experienced surprise flash a couple times. When I popped for a "nicer" helmet, I had no idea what I had been missing. In addition to being able to see my work so much better before striking the arc, the ability to add a magnifier (same power as the cheaters I use around the house) actually improved my welds. Not to mention, the thing's much more comfortable, adjustable (digital settings), and even has a grinding mode.

I bought a Miller Pro-Hobby which isn't top of the line by any means but it's a really nice helmet compared to the entry level ones.
saigon71
The only welding helmet I ever used during my restoration was the HF auto-darkening helmet. It worked flawlessly every time during that four year span.

That being said, I have no experience with any other auto-darkening helmet...but I would buy another one from HF if this one ever goes bad.

I wonder if you got a defective one...can you take it back and try another one?
ThePaintedMan
Yes, you definitely can get a defective helmet at HF where the auto-darkening batteries are already dead/dying.

I still agree with you guys - a quality helmet is worth it, and on my list of things to buy eventually. For now, I was able to do this to my HF helmet, and it saved me. I replace the batteries every 2 months for my own well being.

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?p=648
tomeric914
Years ago I bought a Speedglas auto-darkening helmet. "Top of the line" they said. It was the absolute worst. Every start resulted in an arc flash. Changed the batteries to no avail, so back it went. The absolute worst.

Price isn't everything. Try before you buy if you can. I have a Jackson EQC that has been rock solid for 10+ years. I'm tempted to buy a new more adjustable one. welder.gif
Jeff Hail
When it comes to eyes and welding safety I would always tell you buy the best, not the best you can afford. Its 30 years later you will realize why when you are scheduling your cat surgery.

I have issues with sub $70 A/D helmets for one reason. ANSI and COLTS Certification. Anyone have an idea what it takes to get optical devices certified by both? A lot. The end user pays for that as its built into the price of the helmet.

Next: with those cheaper units the operational consistency and response time from arc to dark is questionable. Will they perform for the hobbyist and DIY guy. Maybe but who can say for sure? Who certifies these? How do you know that ANSIz87 or CSAz94.3 wasn't just engraved into the mold because they can? Too many questions come up with the cheaper ones.

Most of the big ticket brands like Miller (example Elite and Digital series) are made in Korea by Otos Optical. Another is made in Germany. Quality products with stringent certifications.

Do your homework. Your eyes will thank you. Like computers prices are coming down with time on the more expensive ones. At the same time technology is always getting better so the best will always fetch a premium.

If any helmet experiences operational issues it usually starts with the batteries. Replace them regularly. Get to know the settings and how they affect shading and response time.

Last - If your AD helmet does not have provision to replace the batteries consider it a Halloween mask.
URY914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 2 2015, 08:15 PM) *

The only welding helmet I ever used during my restoration was the HF auto-darkening helmet. It worked flawlessly every time during that four year span.

That being said, I have no experience with any other auto-darkening helmet...but I would buy another one from HF if this one ever goes bad.

I wonder if you got a defective one...can you take it back and try another one?

Don't you just love 914 owners. Some are so cheap they don't even follow others advice. What are you going to name your guide dog? laugh.gif
76-914
My old HF $39.00 AD helmet had begun to flash me and after reading this and owning a Miller welder, I ordered a Miller Pro Hobby AD helmet, tonight. I'll get some 2.25 mag lens and be a happy camper.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 3 2015, 11:34 PM) *

My old HF $39.00 AD helmet had begun to flash me and after reading this and owning a Miller welder, I ordered a Miller Pro Hobby AD helmet, tonight. I'll get some 2.25 mag lens and be a happy camper.

Keep an eye out for Zoro Tools 30% sales, one of which just ended.

I just picked up a Miller Digital Elite for $240 and there is a $70 rebate from miller on top of that. Probably one of the best helmets you can buy. Could have saved another $20 dollars had I gone with plain black helmet.

Bartlett 914
OK I left the HF helmet in full light to "Charge" the batteries. Still flashes me. No doubt it is junk. I hate to admit this but I actually bought 2 of these helmets at the same time. The other HF helmet is fine. So the bad helmet is now a grinding only helmet (removed the AD unit). The other will be for backup.
rhodyguy
Every time I go to HF someone is returning a tool or piece of equipment. 3 guys returning the same compound Miter saws on my last visit. I now stick to the affordable zip ties, shrink wrap tubing and other disposable items.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.