Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
I'm trying to replace my ignition switch on my 75, 1.8L. I've been following the Pelican write up but my car doesn't have the two screws to pull the switch as shown in Pelican figure 10. How do you get this thing out on a '75? Photo of my car attached.

Thanks,
RickClick to view attachment
brooks944
I got the tumbler out. Do you have to pull the whole unit off the steering shaft?
JeffBowlsby
What are you trying to do? Did you unplug the harness off the back? You have to remove the mechanical part of the switch to replace the electrical part that mounts inside the back of it. Look for the tiny little screw on the side.
brooks944
Thanks Jeff. Yes all harnesses are disconnected. Can you get to that screw while it's in the car?
JeffBowlsby
Don't think so its tiny, and I am pretty sure its concealed when the lock assembly is in the column. Been awhile.
SLITS
The '75-'76 comes apart differently than the '73-'74. Maybe these images will help you. Steering wheel and switch assembly must be removed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

From these you may get the idea of how to get to the plastic ignition switch portion. I wrote this up a long time ago but can't find the thread.

A quickie thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...switch++removal
brooks944
Thanks, these are very helpful. It looks like it's the "C" clip holding it on. Will try removal and let you know how it goes.

Rick
brooks944
Thanks Ron with you photos I got it out and replaced the switch. One more question (at least for today....). There was a crush ring connecting to the steering column. It looks to be shot now and is making it hard to get the assembly back on. Is it necessary or can I leave it off?

Rick
SLITS
If you are talking about the crush ring that goes around the steering shaft and slides inside the bearing, it is there to take up slop in the steering wheel .... silver(?), serrated, split in the middle. If left out the steering wheel will wobble a bit when pushed up/down / side to side.

If anything else, I need an image to see what you are talking about.
brooks944
Yes, that's exactly what it is. It is making it very hard to move the unit up and down the shaft, plus hard to get all the way back to reinstall. Sine I need it, how do I get it back into position?

Rick
SLITS
If you have the assembly in position on the steering shaft and secured, you then try to install the sleeve. As I remember, I used a drift to tap it in without destroying it.

Currently, you can get them new and they are a 928 part.
brooks944
I'm sure I can get in in and secured, but what is a drift to get it back in? Do you have a pic?

I really appreciate your help!
Rick
PBC914
You're close! Remove the c-clip from around the steering shaft. All of the connectors at the back and it will slide off. Yes it's a pain!
SLITS
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Jan 3 2015, 03:28 PM) *

I'm sure I can get in in and secured, but what is a drift to get it back in? Do you have a pic?

I really appreciate your help!
Rick

Drift = flat headed punch or piece of pipe the correct diameter over the steering shaft or a piece of wood to push it into place. A screwdriver will dig into it.
PBC914
You don't need a drift for this job. It's easy remove the c clip from around the steering shaft and the entire piece slides off.
brooks944
Thanks guys, got it done. What a Pain. About 4 hours for a $5 part! Since I'm free labor, another 914 adventure that should be easier if I ever try this again. I also installed a new Dino steering wheel as well, which looks great, so this project was like a two for one!

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.