Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Case Seam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
I was looking over a 74 2.0 that I purchased recently. I noticed what looks to be a repair on the lower corner of the oil sump area. I compared the same area with another 74 2.0 that was very greasy (I wiped the area off but the grease in deep into the crevices). It looks to be a normal seam but I wanted to get another opinion.

See the pictures below.

Is this seam standard on all type 4 cases?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greg
Valy
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 5 2015, 07:46 AM) *

I was looking over a 74 2.0 that I purchased recently. I noticed what looks to be a repair on the lower corner of the oil sump area. I compared the same area with another 74 2.0 that was very greasy (I wiped the area off but the grease in deep into the crevices). It looks to be a normal seam but I wanted to get another opinion.

See the pictures below.

Greg

Normal. Here is mine.
Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Valy @ Jan 5 2015, 08:32 AM) *

See the pictures below.

Greg

Normal. Here is mine.

Thanks!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 5 2015, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jan 5 2015, 08:32 AM) *

See the pictures below.

Greg

Normal. Here is mine.

Thanks!

It's normal if it's flashing, but that almost looks like a crack and welded repair. But I can only see that damage happening if it was a bus engine (rear engine) hitting something at speed.
Then again the square "crack" could be flashing/casting with just odd lighting...
stownsen914
If possible, try cleaning it off even more, to expose the crevice under the dark stuff as much as possible. That should let you see it better and tell whether the crevice is part of a casting mark or a crack.
rhodyguy
looked at some other cases in the garage. there is a flashing line at that local on all of them. shoddy work in the foundry cleanup room? i think if it was a thru crack one would be unable to keep oil from dripping all over the floor, transmission, heat exchangers, etc.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 5 2015, 08:54 AM) *

If possible, try cleaning it off even more, to expose the crevice under the dark stuff as much as possible. That should let you see it better and tell whether the crevice is part of a casting mark or a crack.

I will clean that area up Tuesday night and get more pictures. The other 74 I have looks more like the picture Valy posted. But as I said, it was very dirty and hard to see all the angles.

Thanks,

Greg
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 5 2015, 12:16 PM) *

The other 74 I have looks more like the picture Mark Henry posted.

Not that it really matters, but Valy posted the case pic, I just quoted the post. shades.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 5 2015, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 5 2015, 12:16 PM) *

The other 74 I have looks more like the picture Mark Henry posted.

Not that it really matters, but Valy posted the case pic, I just quoted the post. shades.gif

Opps! Corrected, thanks.
Mark Henry

I agree if that was a crack it would totally piss out oil.
I know where you got it, of course check it out but don't worry about the outcome.
shades.gif
bandjoey
Clean it up and fill it with JB Weld. If it's a bad molding and your worried. It does look bad in the first picture.
malcolm2
engine looks like it is out of the car. If you are going to open it up you can see what is on the inside in that location.
pnewman
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 5 2015, 01:30 PM) *

engine looks like it is out of the car. If you are going to open it up you can see what is on the inside in that location.

Agreed.

The interior area at the location in question should be telling. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.