Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2015 Porsche 918 with Weissach Package at 1/17/15 PCA Zone 8 Concours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
UPDATE - make that a 2015 Porsche 918 with Weissach Package!!!! blink.gif

Woody's post of the 2x 918's in his dealership reminded me to post this as a FYI for anyone who'll be in SoCal in a couple of weekends hence....

We also have a 918 entered in our PCA Zone 8 Concours at the Temecula Creek Inn on Saturday Jan. 17 2015
v
v

Click to view attachment

Come on out & drooley.gif - but we may require a drool bucket within 10 feet! biggrin.gif

- it's free to attend & park, but there are charges to enter the concours & for display only (non-judged) Porsche cars.

There are always a bunch of really nice SoCal Porsches from all eras & types entered at this & the other Zone 8 Region's Concours, & the Zone 8 schedule for all regions & events can be found at the link below.

For those interested in automotive design, come 4/26/15 the SGVR Concours held at Art Center School of Design in Pasadena, also includes an afternoon tour of the Automotive Design & other Studios, led by their Director of the Auto Design Dept. & SGVR member - Stewart Reed. He's both a Porsche & Westy fan BTW!

For only the cost of parking at Auto Club Speedway in Ontario CA (or entry fees for events) - 4/10-11-12/15 combines racing with the 4/11 Concours at the Festival of Speed. There are many other track, AX, CdE & other club events at the calendar below....

http://www.zone8.org/calendar.php

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif

I'll be on the judging teams & will try to wear one of my many 914 t-shirts or sweatshirts - or maybe my Cardinal (red) & Gold #9 Rugby jersey, & cardinal/gold USC ballcap - if anyone wants to look me up.

Cheers & Happy New Year All!!!! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ConeDodger
Nice car. And guess what? I've known the owner since the 90's! This is not a case where some guy with more money than talent may kill himself and perhaps others with too much car, he has serious amateur racing experience.
Type 47
What's better than two new 918's?

Three

IPB Image

The Weissach edition a cool 1.4 I'm told

IPB Image
Tom_T
That's probably the annual GDP of many small countries sitting in that shop! shades.gif
bulitt
Sorta looks like a Ferrari 360 nose with corvette headlights and an Audi R8 butt?
tpines
Does anyone know what time the Concours starts? Thanks!

Clark.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tpines @ Jan 7 2015, 10:17 AM) *

Does anyone know what time the Concours starts? Thanks!

Clark.

I've got an email in to the head judge to get the times Clark, which I'll post when I hear back. The event poster in my #1 post says it's an "Afternoon Event" again this year.

It's usually been a mid to late morning start of placement of CdE & display cars, with judging starting midday or early afternoon. Display cars tend to trickle in all day, but but most are there by check-in for CdE entrants.

Spectators can come & go all day, but the most number of cars will be there at the judging start or an hour before while entrants are prepping their cars, & thru judging time.

Until Later!
Tom
///////
Tom_T
OK - here's the info from the CdE registration site at the link below:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/zone-8...78#.VK2B58kYEx4

Anyone wishing to enter, note that the price goes up at midnight tomorrow Thursday 1/8/15 & registration ends on 1/17/15, so get busy! type.gif

It would be nice to see a bunch of 914s out there, but feel free to bring any Porsche!
olympic914.jpg irish914.jpg andy914.jpg aubergine914.jpg betty914.jpg blue914.jpg creamsicle914.jpg
fuchia914.jpg grasshopper914.jpg ravenna914.jpg red914.jpg silver914.jpg white914.jpg signal914.jpg

<snipped>
Zone 8 Concours d' Elegance

In conjunction with the annual Zone 8 Banquet

January 17, 2015

First Concours of the 2015 season!

PCA - Zone 8
Saturday, January 17, 2015
Temecula Creek Inn, Temecula, California

Registration ends in 7 days on January 13, 2015 11:59 PM PST

Registration fees

All Concours Divisions - $40.00 until January 8

$50.00 after January 8

Display $30.00

Includes lunch

Additional lunches: $24.00

Event Schedule -
10 AM Car Placement Starts,
1:15 PM Judges meeting,
2 PM Judging Starts

Awards Ceremony during the Banquet (that evening)

<end snip>

first.gif

For those wishing to attend the annual awards banquet covering all events (CdE + AX, club racing, etc.), click the top hotlink here:

http://zone8.motorsportreg.com/

chowtime.gif cheer.gif chowtime.gif piratenanner.gif chowtime.gif drunk.gif chowtime.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 6 2015, 05:56 PM) *
This is not a case where some guy with more money than talent may kill himself and perhaps others with too much car, he has serious amateur racing experience.

Funny you say that because if i recall correctly, the guy that killed himself and his passenger while driving the passengers car also had plenty of racing experience.

I don't think "racing experience" excludes people from making bad choices ...
popcorn[1].gif
naro914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 7 2015, 02:26 PM) *

Funny you say that because if i recall correctly, the guy that killed himself and his passenger while driving the passengers car also had plenty of racing experience.

You are correct.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 7 2015, 02:26 PM) *

agree.gif totally...
tpines
Thanks so much Tom for the update! Assuming I make it I'll be sure to say hi!

Clark.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tpines @ Jan 7 2015, 07:58 PM) *

Thanks so much Tom for the update! Assuming I make it I'll be sure to say hi!

Clark.

Ask around with the judges, someone will find me! biggrin.gif

OK & Clark, I see you have a 74 L80E/Beige 1.8, so I expect to see it there!

I may have seen your 914 on I5 at some point between OC & SD, as I "return home" often! (Uni HS `70)

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
drive-ability
A test ride in that would turn into grand theft auto
toolguy
Tom- Andy- Clark Etc. . . . . I'm registered. . . .
How about getting together a 914 table at the dinner ??
Tom_T
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 8 2015, 12:15 PM) *

Tom- Andy- Clark Etc. . . . . I'm registered. . . .
How about getting together a 914 table at the dinner ??

Let me see if I can stay for dinner. As of now I was thinking of just going out there for the concours/judging day, but may be able to extend out to the evening if my wife doesn't have other plans.

But we should all have a 914ers huddle for lunch at least! chowtime.gif

One reason I like judging - even without a car to enter yet dry.gif - is that I get to crawl over, under & throughout some pretty cool Porsches like Dave's -6 & 918s & such.

Hopefully SoCal Andy will enter his fresh -6 resto!!?? poke.gif

There are quite a few other very nice 914's local to this Zone 8 event that would be nice to see out there as well!

Ethan - now that you got wrote up in the big time magazines & are famous rolleyes.gif - & I saw your pic with car in OCR's Pandamonium from the Dec. breakfast at Original Mike's ....
... So how about at least doing a display of your 914-6 conversion with some info on you publishing to impress all the tail-draggers & water-cooled crowd out there!!??
confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif

Although I've yet to judge full concours at an event where Dave's pretty silver -6 was entered first.gif (I did judge both Lakewood Eddie's Orange -6 wub.gif & the #11 -6 smilie_pokal.gif before though), & have no idea who will be on the team judging the 918 Weissach!? drooley.gif

More 914ers!!!! stirthepot.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tpines
I would love to Dave but I don't think I can get my wife to stay that long! I will pop by though and say hello.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 7 2015, 11:26 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Yep.

Years ago, someone asked me if I wanted to go for a ride around Hockenheim in a twin-turbocharged 996 with a very famous driver—a guy who is and always will be a far, far better driver than I am. But, as I watched him come onto the front straight totally sideways in a cloud of tire smoke, with the car's back bumper inches off the wall, I turned to my friend and said, respectfully, "No thank you."

I've come to the conclusion that I'm much more interested in a driver's temperament than his or her talent if I am going to entrust my life to him or her. I avoid riding with anyone who wants to "show me" at all costs. The ones who want to "share with" me are far more fun—and far safer—to be with. Your mileage may vary, as may your appetite for risk, but please choose wisely. Your life may depend on it—this coming from a guy who has driven several 918s in the wet and the dry. They are insanely fast. As in: They make Carrera GTs look like Gmünd coupes (which makes sense, as the 918 has 50% more horsepower and twice the torque, along with PDK, AWD, and electric torque). The good news is they are a lot easier to drive and have better systems. The bad news is trees, buildings, K-walls, etc. haven't advanced along with the 918—and you might meet them traveling far faster.

Okay, now I feel like an anti-fun jerk. To the OP: What cool photos. To everyone else: Go check out the 918...it really is the ultimate 914, and totally drool-worthy. It has its engine in the right place, and will light up all four tires at 70 mph on the freeway, even with the traction control on. wink.gif
76-914
My backyard! Maybe I should bring the Suby 914. We could be a "Turd in the Porsche Punch Bow"l. happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 9 2015, 07:16 AM) *

My backyard! Maybe I should bring the Suby 914. We could be a "Turd in the Porsche Punch Bow"l. happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

Yes, I wondered if you'd come out!!?? idea.gif

Absolutely come & bring it out. IIRC some other Zone 8 shows had Suby-914's on display in the past, but the IIRC the drivetrain change makes is ineligible for the concours - except maybe under the "Special Category" for modified & track cars, one offs, etc.

If you want to enter the CdE, send me a PM & I'll check on the latter for you.

Also, it's free to come & just park to attend - unless the Temecula Creek Inn tries to get creative with revenue & tries to charge for parking (they didn't back in Nov. 2010 when our daughter was married there, but it's new ownership now I think).

Lastly - I found out that the 918 Weissach is actually in Display - not competing in the concours - so no chance for me to crawl over it as a judge! sad.gif

Therefore - those teeners who choose to pay the $30 for display will park on the grounds at TCI in very good company! piratenanner.gif drooley.gif wub.gif

PS - And since it starts at 10 am for the cars coming in with an afternoon judging - you could actually do one of your Dawn Patrols up to Palomar or something, & then head on over.
Tom_T
REQUEST FOR A SEMI-OFFICIAL 914WORLD PHOTOGRAPHER -

Since I'm usually pretty busy with the judging stuff at these things, & I know Dave/toolguy will be busy prepping & primping his -6, as will any other entrants on here....

It would be great if someone or several folks coming out to this next weekend could volunteer to come out by 9:30 or 10 am when the cars start rolling in & stay thru judging to maybe 4 or 4:30 pm at least (or even attend the awards at the dinner that night) -

.... to take photos of the 918 & other entrants & display cars, world members attending, etc. & post them here.

Please also post them at my similar post on 914club too if you don't mind, or at least a link over to the pix on here, for them to see also (maybe ClubNARP, 914 SIG, etc. with links here too?).

Link to 914club topic FYI -
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=409527

I'm sure those far afield would really appreciate seeing the 918 & goings on at this event. smile.gif

TIA to the volunteer(s)! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

Just hours away! Both SoCal Andy & toolguy have entered their purdy 914-6's! smilie_pokal.gif

Hope to see other Teeners out there! smile.gif
tpines
I am so bummed I couldn't get out there to meet you Tom! Had to show some properties but I'm sure you, Dave, and Andy should have a great time! Take care and see you at the next show.

Clark.
EdwardBlume
Finally they've succeeded in making the next 914!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 17 2015, 06:30 PM) *

I was teasing my friend today when he posted pics that someone brought a damned hybrid! blink.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 17 2015, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 17 2015, 06:30 PM) *

I was teasing my friend today when he posted pics that someone brought a damned hybrid! blink.gif

I did say HI to him for you Rob, & that: "NO....he can't buy your 914" Rob. biggrin.gif

He got a good laugh.

He & his son drove it out from Carlsbad - nice guy & nice kid!

A SDR AX guy was trying to talk him into bringing it out to their AX sometime, & he said: "Why not!?"

So you San Diego folks better start monitoring the SDR's AX at Qualcom Stadium, to see if/when he bring out the 918 to AX!!!!

I doubt he'd get out of 1st gear on a tight course like that!

The 918 looked "Bitchen"!!!! ...sounded great too roaring off, but eerily dead quiet in E-mode! blink.gif

I'll upload & post some pix, when I can get the SD card from the camera.

In addition to the new for 2015 918 - there was also a new gold 2015 Macan S that was in Wash-n-Shine on the lawn. A great looking & superb handling car/cuv!!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Andy (SoCal Andy) & Dave (toolguy) can post pix of their 70 914-6 sibs, since I was busy with judging stuff most of the afternoon. smilie_pokal.gif

Dave took 1st in Class (914s) & Andy 2nd for this show & only out a tenth!!!

.... & Dave also won overall Full Concours over all comers! first.gif

Andy - on his very first PCA Concours - did an outstanding job of last minute detailing of his undercarriage for Full C. - especially with it being the dirt showing yellow, while Dave's is a more forgiving black undercoating finish.

Always the gentleman - at the dinner that evening, Dave complimented Andy on his paint looking better than his own, & Andy returned the compliments in kind. They're both now working together on spare parts each other needs to swap - in true 914er spirit!!!! beerchug.gif

After the judging was over, Andy was also giving "terror rides" up the canyon & back to all comers in his 3.0L twin-plug powered monster, & both Dave& then his date both came away from their respective rides with pie-eyes & big smiles!! driving.gif drooley.gif

A Big Thanx to the 8-9+/- 914 owners from here who did turn out!! smilie_pokal.gif

I tried to get to you all to personally thank you for supporting our Zone 8 event, but missed a few whom I didn't catch due to my judging duties (BTW & FYI you can come up to us while we're judging & chat a bit in between cars etc., just be patient as we do our duties).

I several comments from the Concours Chairs, Zone 8 Head Judge/Chair, event Head Judge (also a longtime serial 914-6 & /4 owner himself) & a bunch of judges & participants to the effect:

"Wow - there sure are a lot of 914s here today!" biggrin.gif

A Real BIG Thanx beerchug.gif to them as follows:

#1 & #2 -
Andy & Dave of course, who entered their yellow (what else!!??) 914-6/GT Tribute & Silver 914-6 Narrow Body respectively. IIRC they're both past COTM's on here, as well as for Andy's prior `72 914/4 with 2056 (yellow of course). first.gif first.gif

#3 -
Jim with his &3-74 L80E/Brown 2L - it's FS for those looking icon_bump.gif
..... (my brain fart on his MY)

#4 -
Cuda911 & his lady with his Robin's Egg Blue/Aqua 74 1.8 piratenanner.gif

#5 -
Ethan - I saw your 914/6-conv come in & leave, but couldn't get to you to thank you personally while I was judging, but asked Andy to send you by to say Hi.
So thank you for coming out & sharing that beauty! pray.gif

#6 -
There was also an Oly Blue/Black 73 2L (yes, it had a 74 rear bumper), which used to be owned by the event's head judge noted above, who sold it 20-25 years ago to the grandfather of it's current owner, who came by to say hi to the guy.
.... I don't know if the current owner/grandson is a member on here, so chime in if you are!!!!
.... & Thanx for coming out & especially for keeping the 914-fever in your family!! aktion035.gif

#7 -
There was also a yellow 914/4 (I don't recall if it was a 1.7 or 1.8 or 2L) there.

.... I don't know if you're a member on here, so chime in if you are!! ...& Thanx!! cheer.gif

#8 -
There was also a red 914 (I don't know if it was a -6, 1.7, 1.8 or 2L) there which I saw drive in & later drive out, but didn't see where it parked. Andy saw it come & go too.

.... I don't know if you're a member on here, so chime in if you are!! ...& Thanx!! beer.gif

#9 ?? -
I thought I saw a silver one come in for awhile, but never saw the owner. Andy says there wasn't & was hallucinating.... so I'm not sure!?

IF so - Thanx & chime in here! smile.gif

confused24.gif

If I missed anyone in a 914 or anything else, then feel free to chime in! type.gif

Upcoming fun heads-up.... shades.gif

Take a look at the exact dates for these other PCA Zone 8 events, which also have added interest for Teeners & car buffs in general.....

1 - driving.gif smilie_flagge24.gif first.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
Early April will have the Fri-Sun Festival of Speed Races at Auto Club Speedway in Ontario, with a Concours & some special model display on the Sat. (4/10-12 IIRC)

2 - drooley.gif blink.gif w00t.gif flag.gif
Mid-April will feature the San Gabrial Valley Region's Concours at Art Center School of Design - with a tour of the Auto Design Studios & displays of Student work in the afternoon by the dept's. Director, who is also a SGVR member.
.... for those who don't know, Art Center is THE premier auto design program in the world, & most of the top cars which you wub.gif & lust after were designed by their alumni, & the current students have most already done internships at the top auto makers!

3 - smilie_pokal.gif popcorn[1].gif
Late April will be the CA Inland Region's Concours at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita (up near Tragic ...errr... Magic Mountain), where several Teeners usually have 2-3+ 914s entered & few others over to look!

4 - shades.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif
In June will be the OC Region's Concours at Dana Point behind the Montage Resort, where we had two (2) twin Bumblebees side-by-side on display, as well as several racers & a couple of 550's, a Glockler-Porsche, a Porsche Tractor & a bunch of other cooool display & entered cars to drooley.gif over!

5 - smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif FERG.gif white914.jpg first.gif
For those looking to enter your 914s in any of the Zone 8 & it's 13 Regions' Concours.....

A - there will be a Concours Prep & Judging School (Sat am+afternoon) by the SGVR in mid-March (Probably at Rusnik or another dealer up there),

B - & a Concours Prep School march or April by San Diego Region at TC's Garage in Vista (hosted by Bev & Tom Gould - whose 911 Targa was the one singled out by Peter Porsche for his special award at the 2014 PCA Monterey CA Parade last year).

OK - I think I've used enough smile.gif 's now, so I'll close until later, when I can post pix of the 918.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
OK, I just remembered that I also took some semi-crappy phone-cam pix of the 918 also, so here are a few to whet your appetites.

Many folks were elated that you could actually get up close enough to actually drooley.gif on it, whereas all of the prior Porsche events have had it cordoned off or a glass fence around it, so this was truly an up-close-&-personal experience, just short of climbing in & riding in one! w00t.gif

The owner is in the green t-shirt in the first pic with his son in black shirt to left. The guy in the orange t-shirt is trying to talk him into bringing it to the SDR's AX at Qualcomm Stadium parking lot! driving.gif

Dave's & Andy's 914-6's are just beyond the silver 911S beyond the front of the 918 in the next pic. Sorry, but I didn't get pix of theirs, cuz I ran off to the judges meeting after these, but Andy got some & maybe my wife too (she's got the camera with her off somewhere else).

A few pix down is the L80E/Brown int. (Light Ivory or "white") 914 2L that is for sale off beyond & to the right of the 918's nose.

Enjoy! popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

.... continued next post .... type.gif
Tom_T
.... continued from my last post .... blink.gif type.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

.... Okay, I'm dun! .... Well, for now anyway! smile.gif

Others with pix of this event &/or 918s feel free to add them in here! type.gif
toolguy
Big thanks to Andy for an E ticket ride in his 3.2. . .very, very nice car, and Andy is a great enthusiast.
We displayed our cars next to each other and had a lot of fun throughout the day. . . . when the day was over, it sounded like Andy will be coming out to more Concour events. . .
The Concours was outstanding. In my 40+ years of these events, this was the best organized
and prepared show I've attended. . Weather was in the high 70's {Sorry you back east guys} and not
a cloud in the sky.
Cuda911
Hey Tom, great meeting you in person there!

Ha, there were so many 914's that I was enjoying seeing and talking to the owners about, I never even got over to see the 918, even though it was only 50 feet away! smile.gif

Andy, thanks for the canyon ride.... that's a bad-ass motor in your car!!! Now that's kicking up the teener fun-O-meter seriously!!!!
Tom_T
We'll get some pix of the 2 914-6's side by side on here somehow.

It was a great side-by-side comparo of narrow body mostly dead stock (with a few period correct accessories & tweaks on Dave's) - right next to a period correct & NOS build wide-body 914-6/GT factory racer clone/tribute (with a 3L twin-plug beast lurking under the mid-bay).

There was HUGE interest from both entrants & judges - as well as the spectators - in these two beautifully restored 914-6's!!!!

drooley.gif wub.gif w00t.gif pray.gif
Socalandy
Had a great time and nice to meet David (Toolguy) his girlfriend and of course his -6 drooley.gif

I lost a few tenths and received 324 points out of 325. FYI, light dust on a shock can cost you a tenth blink.gif headbang.gif Thanks for the invite Tom and as promised "its your fault" It's a lot of work to prepare for full concour and helped me really get things dialed in on the car and if your wondering.... YES, I drove the 70 miles the morning of driving.gif

Here's a few pics of David and my car on the lawn and a few other cars that stood out for me.
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Socalandy
Congrats to David and his beautiful -6 smilie_pokal.gif
Tom_T
PS Andy - Guilty as charged!

... but then you can't go do the AACA's San Marino hoity-toity concours, & NOT do our local PCA concours! biggrin.gif

Hopefully this was a better experience for you, than the San Marino's BS! confused24.gif

FYI - this was the 911 Targa singled out at last year's 2014 Parade Concours by Peter Porsche for his special award at the event, as covered in Panorama.

The owners are Bev & Tom Gould who also own TC's Garage for Porsche parts in Vista CA (SoCal) & I think they may have a banner on here, or will soon as I remind them again! smile.gif

.... Tom used to own Pelican, then sold it to his former employees when he "retired" - or something like that - & is also an ex-914 owner, so he knows our 914s pretty well & TC's has some Porsche & OEM parts at fair prices.

IPB Image
> A 200,000+ mile AX, Rally, TT, etc. car brought up to full concours standards in 2014, that Bev has always concours'ed in Street while doing the road events!

Andy - Thanx for posting these.

.... and if you did not get Brett's contact info at the banquet that night for additional "coaching" on tricks of the trade & how he preps his DD red 912 for full concours, then shoot me a PM or email & I'll send it to you.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
horizontally-opposed
What company made the muffler on David's car? Very cool.

That's a real purty 914... wub.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 19 2015, 11:26 AM) *

IIRC it was "Dave's Shop" in El Cajon! smile.gif

PM toolguy & ask him.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 19 2015, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 19 2015, 11:26 AM) *

IIRC it was "Dave's Shop" in El Cajon! smile.gif

PM toolguy & ask him.

Cool deal, and just did. smile.gif

Thanks!!

pete
Tom_T
I think that's our member cuda911's 914 behind Dave in this pic.... & the others showing it.

IPB Image

The new 2015 Gold Macan is behind Andy's yellow -6 in the other pic....a great looking & handling Porsche car - which happens to be AWD with off-road & towing etc. capabilities!

IPB Image
Socalandy
It is Cuda's

A few more pictures...
balljoint
Is that as close as you got to the 918 Tommy? No side view mirror selfie? smile.gif

Not really the right venue for it, but it's not too hard to picture a 914 owner standing in front of that 918 in his underwears. wink.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 19 2015, 01:43 PM) *

Is that as close as you got to the 918 Tommy? No side view mirror selfie? smile.gif

Not really the right venue for it, but it's not too hard to picture a 914 owner standing in front of that 918 in his underwears. wink.gif

Oh Dave - I was plenty close, but who wants to see me in the 918 mirror - I mean really!!, when it's the star! laugh.gif

And I kept my pants ON fyi!!!! bootyshake.gif

I did get a good look up under it too, when we were helping him navigate the makeshift ramps down the curb to the parking lot from the grassy knoll!

.... and I thought it was hard crawing under Dave's & Andy's 914-6's for judging undercarriage/engine!!!! blink.gif

BTW folks - aside from the 918 - this event was a special treat for me for another reason!

This was the first concours since Dave started showing his -6 a couple of years ago, that I actually got to judge in that Full Concours class (never lined up before when Dave camee & I was on the Full team).

And it was the first time I'd even seen Andy's -6 resto done - even though he lives like 5 mins from me!

... well, probably 2.6 mins the way he drives that beast! lol-2.gif

You know - even if you folks are not CW types yourselves - these PCA Concours around the country are always free to come drooley.gif & wub.gif - & a minor cost if you just want to park yours in display (not judged).

So go out to your local PCA &/or other Concours & car shows in your area, maybe combine that with a Sat. or Sun. 914 drive &/or breakfast/lunch/dinner!
driving.gif driving-girl.gif chowtime.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'm just sayin' - take advantage of whatever is close! poke.gif
Tom
///////
76-914
Damn it, spaced out working in the garage Sat and forgot all about this event. I'm in the advanced stages of CRS (can't remember stromberg.gif ). Tom, thx for posting up some of the future local events. I'll try to make one of these. Now Tom, there ain't no "Pinky Lifting" going on at these High Fa looting events, is there? lol-2.gif BTW, what does it cost to have an old Dealer license frame re-painted such as David's?
Tom_T
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 21 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Damn it, spaced out working in the garage Sat and forgot all about this event. I'm in the advanced stages of CRS (can't remember stromberg.gif ). Tom, thx for posting up some of the future local events. I'll try to make one of these. Now Tom, there ain't no "Pinky Lifting" going on at these High Fa looting events, is there? lol-2.gif BTW, what does it cost to have an old Dealer license frame re-painted such as David's?

Kent,

As with originality not being an issue at the Zone & Region level concurs, we also have a do not ask, do not tell policy re: pinkies!

Actually most of the folks both drive & show their cars, with very few a strict garage queens. In fact one guy DD his 68 912 & then enters it in Full Concours - which not only judges the engine, but also the underside/wheel wells/etc.!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy drove his out & also did Full & still did very well, with only some first-timer things missed. And AFAIK Andy has no pinkie problems either! smile.gif

As for plate frames - IIRC Dave found that from somebody making repro frames - or maybe it was Andy's (half-zymers again here) - so I'd suggest PMing them for a source.

But if you have the original dealer frames already, then you can probably do a decent job of repainting them yourself with rattle can for the base background color, & brush-on paint for the letters. I redid my actual plates myself that way on other cars. ;-)

As for another drive-n-display event that I hear is pretty good, I think Riverside Region does a Porsche Timeline event up to Arrowhead or Big Bear in the summer or spring.

There is all sorts of stuff on the Zone 8 calendar from concours, to rallies, to AX, TT, DE, Club Racing, casual tours, breakfasts & doughnuts-n-Porsches, etc. in all of the SoCal PCA Regions (chapters if you will).

For the Rickie Racers driving.gif driving-girl.gif - AX is both at El Toro in OC & Qualcom Stadium parking lot in SD. Club Racing, DE, TT & some other stuff is at Willow, Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, & ?? during the year too.

Really something for everybody, & spectating is free!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Socalandy
I've heard for years that these events were wine and cheese events and that the attendees were snobs and gave little interest or respect to the 914. I had nothing but positive responses and I believe the other 914's that were there also got a lot of attention.

Maybe this is a thing of the past? you always stand the chance of bumping into an A-Hole in anything you do. I've gone to Cars and Coffee, Porsche swaps, The Perterson museum, San Marino and now my first PCA event and had a great time without the dreaded pinkies. Not just with my -6 but my 72 -4 so go out and drive, Hang out and enjoy the car culture. You might be missing out on some fun or I've just been converted into a concours weenie..... NOT!!! Have I let you down Slits pray.gif

Kent, The Chick Iverson frame is a repop and found at the Pomona swap meet!!!

Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 21 2015, 09:42 PM) *

I've heard for years that these events were wine and cheese events and that the attendees were snobs and gave little interest or respect to the 914. I had nothing but positive responses and I believe the other 914's that were there also got a lot of attention.

Maybe this is a thing of the past?

Yes & Yes.... & most of them have now or had a 914 at one time or another - including 5 of your 6 judges for Full Concours Andy!!

I had a lot of very positive comments about "all the 914s that showed up" - cuz we're now relatively rare, as with the 356s, 911s & 912s of yore!

So bring your 914s out to some thing.

Both San Diego & OC have an open to anyone Porsches & Doughnuts at Krispy Kremes -

OCR is 3rd Sat. every month 8:30 - 10-ish am at KK at The Block/The Outlets in Orange just off the 22,

you'll have to look up SDR's - IIRC it's in Carlsbad & monthly as well

(maybe LA & Santa Barbara & others too).

These are kinda loose, informal & open to all comers things.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cuda911
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 21 2015, 09:42 PM) *

Hey Andy,

I attend many PCA events (autocross, DEs, dinners, weekend tours, rallys, concour, and many more). Some have had wine, don't recall cheese at any of them. In any case, I haven't seen any snobs, and my 914 gets a lot of interest and positive comments. Never even once felt like it was a "lesser" Porsche. I have met many great people from PCA, and really value and enjoy my membership.
76-914
Point taken! I'm going to the next one and I'm bringing Slit's with me! I think I'll give Tom's method a try as these are the Original Dealer plates that came with the car!
Tom_T
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 22 2015, 07:22 AM) *

Point taken! I'm going to the next one and I'm bringing Slit's with me! I think I'll give Tom's method a try as these are the Original Dealer plates that came with the car!

If I'm there Kent, remind me to show you mine. Plate frames are usually easier since they often have little ridges around the lettering, as opposed to stamped letters on plates, etc. Both DD's were done & they're good 5-10 footers on DDs!

Looking forward to seeing Slits again, since I've been out of town or had conflicts the past few years when the 914 Meat Fest/Swaps, WCR, Rte66, RR, etc. have been held. sad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.