Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Open Case?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I'm working on splitting the case on my GC code engine. I've taken out all the case nuts and bolts (and double checked, triple checked, then checked two more times for good measure) but I can't open the case fully WTF.gif

3 of the 4 "corners" of the case open very freely, but the one pictured will only rock back and forth, it will not open all the way to separate the case halves. I know this may be a difficult one to answer via a forum post, but anyone have any suggestions as to what I may be missing?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at my wits end on this one!!
r_towle
Is that a picture of the case?

If it is, you may just need a bit more force.

Don't use pry bars, use wooden wedges cut to fit.
VWTortuga336
Yes, this is my case. I'll give that a shot.

Can you think of any other reason why this would happen?
SirAndy
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Jan 11 2015, 09:49 AM) *

Bend stud? idea.gif
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2015, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Jan 11 2015, 09:49 AM) *

Bend stud? idea.gif

Kinda what I was thinking too, just didn't want to force it in case I missed something.
walterolin
Do you have the six thru bolts out? They have a vibration damper, a small plastic piece, which encircles the bolt, and will lodge in the case.

VWTortuga336
QUOTE(walterolin @ Jan 11 2015, 01:25 PM) *

Do you have the six thru bolts out? They have a vibration damper, a small plastic piece, which encircles the bolt, and will lodge in the case.

I have the 6 bolts out as far as they will go, but not fully out due to the plastic pieces you are referring to.
stugray
Tap all of the case thru bolts out before trying to separate
r_towle
If you made it that far with all the through bolts removed, it's most likely a bent stud.

Use wood wedges and boards, no metal.
EdwardBlume
I had the same issue, remove the bolts but take the tabs out, look at where you can apply pressure safely and get it done.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 12 2015, 08:27 AM) *

I had the same issue, remove the bolts but take the tabs out, look at where you can apply pressure safely and get it done.

Thanks for the info. How did you remove the 3 lower (closest to the sump) through bolts? I can't see how I'll be able to access the plastic insulators.
stugray
You can drive the bolts all the way out before trying to separate the case.
you will need new plastic insulators if you do that
r_towle
take a smaller bolt and drive out the through bolts.
The plastic retainers are part of the standard gasket kit, they are junk anyways.

rich
VWTortuga336
I finally got the case split tonight. I had to remove the stud I suspected was bent and the case opened up with no further issues piratenanner.gif

But, the stud wasn't bent, it had something on it that prevented it from going through the hole in the case half. Anyone have any guesses at to what it could be. It's sort of copper in color and is stuck to the stud big time. It goes about 75% around the stud

WTF.gif

r_towle
RTV copper form a gasket maybe.
veekry9
copper wire,14-12 ga.
VWTortuga336
I'm still wondering WHY this would be on the stud. Any theories? confused24.gif
injunmort
i have seen people use strands of copper wire as a homemade heli- coil of sorts when there is minor thread damage. not something I would, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.