Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did you build yoru own adapter ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
What was the combo ?
What tools did you have ?
What were the major issues/problems ?
SirAndy
What engine? What transmission? confused24.gif

I run a bone stock 901 behind a 3.6L engine. The only adapter needed is a cut ring gear for the flywheel.
driving.gif
andys
LS1 to Audi 01E 6 speed. Though there are now a couple of people making adapter plates, there were none when I did mine. I have a vertical mill that I used to drill the hole pattern and the dowel pattern. I farmed-out the water jet, Blanchard grinding, and zinc plating work. The design work was done using Solidworks 3D modeling. The bigger problem is arranging the flywheel and clutch/pressure plate and how they stack up to work within the bellhousing (getting all the axial dimensions correct). Over-simplified description, but ask if you need more info.

Andys
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 15 2015, 10:30 PM) *

I run a bone stock 901 behind a 3.6L engine. The only adapter needed is a cut ring gear for the flywheel.
driving.gif

You run a bone stock 914 transmission.
A 901 won't work in your car. beerchug.gif
timothy_nd28
popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 15 2015, 07:51 PM) *

You run a bone stock 914 transmission.
A 901 won't work in your car. beerchug.gif

Sure it will! Of course, the shift linkage will be "interesting", and you'll have five speeds in reverse...

(Since we're getting nit-picky... wink.gif )

--DD
r_towle
Bone stock.....
rick 918-S
I did mine. "T" square, digital caliper, bench top drill press, jig saw and a router.

Porsche 928 to 901.
SirAndy
Tuff crowd tonite ... lol-2.gif beerchug.gif
veekry9
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 15 2015, 11:16 PM) *

I did mine. "T" square, digital caliper, bench top drill press, jig saw and a router.

Porsche 928 to 901.

You're awesome,I remember that from when.
thumb3d.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 15 2015, 08:23 PM) *

Tuff crowd tonite ... lol-2.gif beerchug.gif

I tellya, NO respect.
r_towle
Soon as the Cap,n stops showing off everything goes to shit again, slang and jargon will be tossed around, more Internet myths will blossom, and all of it will fall apart into a big pile of garbage.

Sorry, with Pat retiring and the Cap'n spending less time correcting everyone, what are we gonna do.

Nature abhors a vacuum.
Mueller
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 15 2015, 08:16 PM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

You are not going to get anymore minimalistic than that setup!

The majority of people buy an adapter and flywheel from Kennedy Engineering or one of the handful of kit manufactures like Renegade.

If you have to ask how to do it, pass and buy a kit. Rick didn't ask...he went outside, took measurements and started to make chips.

Back to the question.... not Porsche, but I've made a Volvo engine to Chevy auto adapter and I am currently making these adapters....Volvo FWD 5 and 6 cylinder motors to be used with a Ford T5 Mustang transmission....still not sure what motor I want in my '73 914 that will need the bus motor replaced....however if I do some oddball conversion I'll make my own stuff.

Bridgeport mill (CNC) and all the related stuff one has in a small machine/fabrication shop.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 16 2015, 10:56 AM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

The majority of people buy an adapter and flywheel from Kennedy Engineering or one of the handful of kit manufactures like Renegade.

If you have to ask how to do it, pass and buy a kit. Rick didn't ask...he went outside, took measurements and started to make chips.

Back to the question.... not Porsche, but I've made a Volvo engine to Chevy auto adapter and I am currently making these adapters....Volvo FWD 5 and 6 cylinder motors to be used with a Ford T5 Mustang transmission....still not sure what motor I want in my '73 914 that will need the bus motor replaced....however if I do some oddball conversion I'll make my own stuff.

Bridgeport mill (CNC) and all the related stuff one has in a small machine/fabrication shop.

What is the point of this adapter?
Not knocking it, just curious seeing as I have an old p1800 wagon in the back.
I already have a mint one.....have been wondering how to modernize the other one.
Mueller
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2015, 08:03 AM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

I already have a mint one.....have been wondering how to modernize the other one.

Volvo Whiteblock front wheel drive motor for a rear wheel drive applications...S70 motor in a 245 or 122...

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 16 2015, 08:10 AM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

Volvo Whiteblock front wheel drive motor for a rear wheel drive applications...S70 motor in a 245 or 122...

Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 15 2015, 10:30 PM) *

driving.gif

Ring gear, you need a lathe. And it's a 914-901
got914?
I was thinking an srt4 motor to a boxster s 6 speed.
srt4 motor is 220 hp and 250 torque with lots of aftermarket
ive already got the engine from my pt cruiser gt turbo
kennedy only makes an adapter for 901 & 915.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 16 2015, 11:11 AM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

Click to view attachment

would it work on the V8 motor from the volvo SUV too?
Thinking about a turbo V8 p1800 wagon.....

Rich
914bub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2015, 12:46 PM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

Click to view attachment

Rich

Rich
The v8 is a Yamaha engine and I think is different from volvos white motors. I've converted several b20 cars to the b230ft. They go like hell. Contact me if you want more info, it's a great swap using a time proven engine. You'd wanna go to at least an m46 trans. I tore up 6 m41s with my first swap.
Best, Erik
Volvoboy
QUOTE(914bub @ Jan 31 2015, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2015, 12:46 PM) *

Porsche 928 to 901.

Click to view attachment

Rich

Rich
The v8 is a Yamaha engine and I think is different from volvos white motors. I've converted several b20 cars to the b230ft. They go like hell. Contact me if you want more info, it's a great swap using a time proven engine. You'd wanna go to at least an m46 trans. I tore up 6 m41s with my first swap.
Best, Erik

I'd be interested in one of those volvo adapters?
Mark Henry
The OP never got his project off the ground, he bought a subi /6 core, but he's been trying to sell both the 914 and the engine for the last several months on Kijiji (like craigslist).
garrettlee2
I would also like a Volvo adapter if your going into a small production. Volvo adapter group buy?
Mueller
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Oct 15 2016, 08:26 AM) *

I would also like a Volvo adapter if your going into a small production. Volvo adapter group buy?

QUOTE(Volvoboy @ Oct 14 2016, 04:36 PM) *

I'd be interested in one of those volvo adapters?

You both have PM's smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.