Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
New to 914 so still learning about things like stance. It seems like the ones I've seen tend to have a rear "squat" stance and mine certainly does. Is the stance of my '73 typical?

Thanks.

Can't seem to add the pics. Will try to get it attached a bit later.
Rand
The good news is you can lower the front end in just minutes by adjusting the torsion bars. I always like to bring the front down to at least flat, maybe a smidge lower.
Larmo63
New rear shocks and 180# springs helped my car a lot.

Try that.
somd914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 18 2015, 12:14 PM) *

The good news is you can lower the front end in just minutes by adjusting the torsion bars. I always like to bring the front down to at least flat, maybe a smidge lower.

Concur, my rear is lower than factory but set the front torsion bars to make it a just bit lower than rear - not the best photo to illustrate it, but the best I have access to right now...

As for factory, don't recall unmollested cars squatting in the rear, would imagine springs and shocks are tired.

Click to view attachment
porschefile2010
I agree. Slightly front down. Feels better when you are driving the car as well, not just the looks.Click to view attachment
mepstein
I raised the rear on mine with new springs. Old ones looked to be original and worn out. Then lowered the front by about an inch with the torsion bar adjusters. Not the front is about a half inch lower than the rear and looks perfect to me.
914Next
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 18 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Concur, my rear is lower than factory but set the front torsion bars to make it a just bit lower than rear - not the best photo to illustrate it, but the best I have access to right now...

As for factory, don't recall unmollested cars squatting in the rear, would imagine springs and shocks are tired.

Very nice car and love the stance.
914Next
QUOTE(914Next @ Jan 18 2015, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 18 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Very nice car and love the stance.

How does one adjust the torsion bars?
914Next
Hopefully this link will work.

914 Stance
Dave_Darling
I have read that 914s delivered to the US were set up with a nose-high attitude to help them meet headlight height requirements. I don't know how true that is, though.

We do know that the stock rear springs sag eventually, lowering the rear of the car a noticeable amount. But as stated, it's easy to change the height of the front end using the torsion bar adjusting bolts.

--DD
914Next
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 18 2015, 01:13 PM) *

I have read that 914s delivered to the US were set up with a nose-high attitude to help them meet headlight height requirements. I don't know how true that is, though.

We do know that the stock rear springs sag eventually, lowering the rear of the car a noticeable amount. But as stated, it's easy to change the height of the front end using the torsion bar adjusting bolts.

--DD

Sounds like a good project. I'm not familiar but will do a search here and google. Thanks
brooks944
I put on new shocks with 140" autocross springs on my 75. The springs are supposed to lower the car 1/2"'but raised my car about that much! Yep, your shocks and springs are tired.

Rick
bdstone914
Unless you are running gas pressure shocks they make no difference on ride height. As others have suggested lower the front a bit to see if yiy can get the stance you want.
dlkawashima
Your car does seem to be sitting a little nose high, but it's hard to tell how much from that angle. Maybe you can snap a picture of your car's profile and show us just how far nose up your car sits.

In my opinion, your car is too much of a preserved survivor to screw around with it. I don't mean to knock the other cars, but I wouldn't put your car in a nose down attitude if I were you.

For comparison, look at this shot. The top of the rocker panel is parallel to the ground, the bumper tops, front & rear, are the same height.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
QUOTE(914Next @ Jan 18 2015, 10:02 AM) *

914 Stance

Nope
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Next @ Jan 18 2015, 08:55 AM) *
still learning about things like stance

Here's a pic of the sticky tire stance: biggrin.gif

mepstein
Changing front height is easily reversible. If you play with the front, just keep track how many turns on the adjuster so you can go back to base if you want. You can lower it just by reaching under the car. To raise it, you want to jack it up first to take the pressure off the adjuster.

You probably want to get an alignment when you get the stance figured out.
914Next
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 18 2015, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Jan 18 2015, 10:02 AM) *

914 Stance

Nope

I think its working now.
Mueller

New to 914 so still learning about things like stance. It seems like the ones I've seen tend to have a rear "squat" stance and mine certainly does. Is the stance of my '73 typical?

Thanks.

I thought I'd never see "stance" and 914 together barf.gif

I thought stance was for those that liked to slam a car to the ground with the rims sticking out past the fenders with tires that are stretched to the max? driving.gif

Stance?
somd914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 18 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Thanks.

I thought I'd never see "stance" and 914 together barf.gif

I thought stance was for those that liked to slam a car to the ground with the rims sticking out past the fenders with tires that are stretched to the max? driving.gif

Stance?

Stance seems to have multiple meanings...

Take a look at:

http://www.stanceworks.com/2015/01/for-tho...orsche-997-gt2/

Many cars Stanceworks features are are of the slammed variety your mention, others are are not.
somd914
914Next - thanks for the compliment on my 914.

Porschefile2010 - Love the color, one of my favorites.

dlkawashima - Is yours at factory? I've seen some sitting higher front and rear. Nice car.

SirAndy - Wow!

Anyway, agree ride height is easily changed in the big picture. I understand the desire by some for originality, I also understand the desire by some to mod. I fall in the middle when it comes to my car. For each their own, I enjoy seeing both.
Drums66
......I thought that was a"Rapper Posture"(Buffalo Stance?) laugh.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif(cool ride)
rgalla9146
Bruce is right.
Shocks do not support weight... except the gas pressure variety. And even those just a little.
If your rear springs have sagged a bit don't complain.
Just lower the front a bit more.
Slight nose down is the desired stance.
Nose up ?.........awkward
dlkawashima
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 19 2015, 05:58 AM) *

dlkawashima - Is yours at factory? I've seen some sitting higher front and rear. Nice car.

Anyway, agree ride height is easily changed in the big picture. I understand the desire by some for originality, I also understand the desire by some to mod. I fall in the middle when it comes to my car. For each their own, I enjoy seeing both.

I'm also open to different modifications, but in the case of 914Next, his car is an unmolested survivor and should retain a stock appearance (in my opinion). As far as my car is concerned, it may be slightly lower than stock, but it's pretty close.

btw, really like the night shot of your car!
KELTY360
I bought a 1.7 in 1973 and the dealer asked if I wanted it lowered before I took delivery. At the time it looked to be at equal height front and back and when I took delivery it was slightly lower in the front - maybe an inch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.