Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 driving lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stuartgto
Can anyone tell me how I can re-wire my driving lights (fog lights) to come on without having to turn on the head lights? Also, I would like to turn on the parking lights without having to turn on the head lights. Any help is appreciated.
SKL1
I added a relay to my '71 WAY back 40 some years ago to do just that- sure can't remember where I got it unfortunately, but sure someone from around here will.
I think someone does still make a "kit" to do that, like camp914 or Mikey. Good luck!
mgp4591
Mine do that already- I didn't know they weren't supposed to! I have no idea how they're wired but now that I know I'll make sure not to change a thing... shades.gif
Chris H.
JWest makes a kit....$40 and it was easy to install.

Foglight flash

stuartgto
Thanks for the help. Although the JWest kit states it does not work on original 914/6's.
stuartgto
On an original 914/6, are the headlights supposed to popup if you only pull the headlight switch 1/2 way? They don't turn on,just pop up.
Socalandy
QUOTE(stuartgto @ Jan 20 2015, 09:31 PM) *

On an original 914/6, are the headlights supposed to popup if you only pull the headlight switch 1/2 way? They don't turn on,just pop up.

Yes, that's normal for a -6
rgalla9146
On mine, from the off position the first detent is parking lamps only, headlights remain in down position
But.... when turning headlamps off they do not go down when knob is pushed in to the parking lamp detent.
That isn't normal ?
Dave_Darling
That's normal for later cars. Not sure about Sixes.

--DD
toolguy
It's just a matter of moving a couple of leads on the headlight switch.
I posted a drawing and diagram last year. . do a search, it's there somewhere.

from old post I did
actually, that is how they are suppose to work on a 914-6 . . the lead that controls 'head light up' to the motors is the gray wire on terminal K on the headlight switch. . . is you want the headlights to stay down until the 3rd stop on the headlight switch, move the gray lead from K to 56 on the switch. This will allow you to run your fogs with the tail and side markers on and keep the headlight down. . Handy if you're running at sundown with a bra on the car and don't want to stop and fold down the flaps.
stuartgto
Thanks all again.
rgalla9146
I just consulted the owners manual.
( As a last resort )
With the headlight switch in the park lamp position the pop-up lights come up, but not on.
Some of us have re-positioned wires.
stuartgto
From M. Henry's post, http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html, how do you remove the light switch? It is buried behind the dash. Can it be removed from the front?

Thanks.
r_towle
My car has the unique option of the headlights coming on yet not popping up.

It's a new feature I discovered last year, just have not found the time to put it back to stock.
Socalandy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2015, 05:16 PM) *

My car has the unique option of the headlights coming on yet not popping up.

It's a new feature I discovered last year, just have not found the time to put it back to stock.

Check your fuses!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.