Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 140# progressive springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hello all:

I need a new pair of 140# progressive springs for my Six. I am buying the Bilstein Sport shocks for the car and believe those with the 140# will be a good fit for a street car. I checked with PMB, Tangerine, Elephant and GPR -no luck. Thoughts????? Should I be looking at coil-overs?

Thanks
Michael
r_towle
Buy adjustable perches from Coleman racing and use the smaller diameter springs which are readily available.
Steve
Have you tried Automotion.com?
http://www.automotion.com/weltmeister-914-...or-porsche.html
Paragon
I'll check our stock in the morning.
infraredcalvin
I have some 165 progressives I bought from GPR back in the day, loved them on my -4 for about 2k miles... That's when she went on jack stands...

Would sell for 150 shipped...
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Thanks Pat but I really need the 140#. I believe the 165# would be to heavy for what I need. Michael
puffinator
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 19 2015, 06:17 PM) *

Hello all:

I need a new pair of 140# progressive springs for my Six. I am buying the Bilstein Sport shocks for the car and believe those with the 140# will be a good fit for a street car. I checked with PMB, Tangerine, Elephant and GPR -no luck. Thoughts????? Should I be looking at coil-overs?

Thanks
Michael

I bought these:

http://www.automotion.com/weltmeister-914-...or-porsche.html
Cairo94507
Yes- those are on my radar screen. I am also checking a couple of other options before I pull the trigger.
Olympic 914
What were the stock -6 springs rated ? #100 ?
Mike Bellis
I think I have a set collecting dust... Let me look around... idea.gif

I'm now running 225# and I love it.
Cairo94507
OK - check and see and if you got them I would be happy to buy them off you beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Jan 20 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Depends on who you ask. Most retailers will tell you that 100 lb/in is the stock rate.

There's an old Pano article that talks about several different spring rates, denoted by paint marks on the springs. IIRC, the lowest was in the 60 lb/in range; the highest might have been 85 lb/in.

--DD
db9146
Michael,

If you add the coil-over sleeve in the rear, there are some 2.5" ID QA1 springs that are 140/250 progressives (10" tall) or some 100/200 or 130/250 progressives if a 12" tall spring work.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2015, 09:45 AM) *

Thanks Pat but I really need the 140#. I believe the 165# would be to heavy for what I need. Michael

That's what I thought, but all I could find/the best deal at the time was on a pair of 165#.

The roads up here are pretty bad, but I love the springs!

Because they are progressive, I would say they probably ride like 140#'s until you AX or hit a big pothole.
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 20 2015, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Jan 20 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Depends on who you ask. Most retailers will tell you that 100 lb/in is the stock rate.

There's an old Pano article that talks about several different spring rates, denoted by paint marks on the springs. IIRC, the lowest was in the 60 lb/in range; the highest might have been 85 lb/in.

--DD

I thought that was true - which seems odd because it seems like the 4s are running stiffer springs. There must be an explanation. I know that the original six was not an exceptionally heavy engine, but it must have weighed at least a little bit more than the 4. I know that info is readily available here - too lazy to look it up and besides I think the main part of the statement is true. So were the 4s sold with even lower spring rates than 100?

Also, how have the coleman springs panned out for anyone using them? I have the same issue to resolve for my 3.2. Soon as I finish the oil tank the motor goes in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.