Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody fab their own floor pans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ggenovez
Just like the title says, anybody fabricate their own floor pans?

I have some 20ga sheet metal that I want to fabricate into floor pans. I was thinking of making a mold and using a wooden dowel to press in some ridges.

If anybody has done this before and can shed some light as to how to make the molds, how deep to go, does the sheet metal overall size change...

Thanks
bandjoey
Restoration Design. Unless your just in love with metal work. sawzall-smiley.gif
mgp4591
In the process of designing them as we speak. Next tool on the list is an Eastwood bead roller for strength but I'm using heavier gauge than that, like 16 or better. That way I also bring them up the inside of the longs as a stiffening kit. Seems like the longs are the only solid part of the floor- even the bottom of the console and seat crossribs are gone... dry.gif
rick 918-S
20 ga? Too light.

16 ga will not bead roll.

Why reinvent the wheel. Restoration design sells any combination of floor pan you need.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 20 2015, 07:53 AM) *

Restoration Design. Unless your just in love with metal work. sawzall-smiley.gif

agree.gif

With the cost of building the jigs, tools involved, etc. - let alone your time (time is money) - it seems more cost effective & time efficient just to order them.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914

I think that AA also sells them, along with other metal body resto/repair parts.

> FYI - a long time ago George told me that AA had jointly developed them with the prior owner of RD in MI (jigs, tooling, etc.) & co-funded the start-up - & then that guy skipped on the JV with all the stuff & business. So before all the AA-bashers start in, know that there was some history there before most of you were even into 914s! dry.gif

The current RD owner in Canada got the stuff out of a BK or something, so not at all involved in that debacle.

Have fun which ever way you go! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Tom
///////
ThePaintedMan
I did just one section of floor pans on my car, mostly because it was practice and I was trying to be cheap.

Link to my thread

After all was said and done, it was no cheaper to do it that way and they'll never look like the originals. Restoration Design is where it's at and in the future I'll buy as much metal as I need from them to eliminate having to fabricate my own stuff. The money and time you spend on things like grinding wheels, wooden bucks, etc, is not worth it. Even if you only use a section of the pan you buy from them, you can probably sell the rest to someone else on here who might need the other half.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2015, 08:23 AM) *
With the cost of building the jigs, tools involved, etc. - let alone your time (time is money) - it seems more cost effective & time efficient just to order them.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914

agree.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2015, 09:23 AM) *

20 ga? Too light.

16 ga will not bead roll.

Why reinvent the wheel. Restoration design sells any combination of floor pan you need.

I know Rick, and I think we had this conversation (or some part of it) in Moab last Sept. If I brace it correctly, I won't need to bead roll it. I already have most of the tools and making templates is no problem- my time working on this is all to my benefit so I really don't count it as money lost. I'd have to make other pieces to tie into the Resto Design bits anyway and all those parts would be 700 bucks or more. This way I stiffen up the car while I put a floor in it for alot less. I think...
I've seen the Resto parts and they're really great. Nothing I'm doing can't be undone by someone else later if they want... and if I ever sell.
ggenovez
Thanks guys.

I only need to do the rear half on both side. I have both 16 and 20 gauge.

the 3 reasons I want to do it is
1. I have the metal sitting there.
2. I personally think the cost for the rear half + seat reinforcement + bracket + hinges is way overpriced.
3. It's a learning experience

George (paintedman) I did find your link interesting on how you created your floor pans. What I was looking for is something like this

IPB Image

found it here
http://www.themetalsurgeon.com/2014/12/flo...olet-part-four/

Still think i'm on crack? let me know wink.gif
CptTripps
Most people only need the short-rear. And for $99...I can't see how that's considered overpriced...even by "cheap ass 914 owner" standards.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP345B
SirAndy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 20 2015, 10:14 AM) *
Most people only need the short-rear. And for $99...I can't see how that's considered overpriced...even by "cheap ass 914 owner" standards.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP345B

agree.gif

If you think 100 bucks for a correct pan replacement panel is "way overpriced" i'd hate to see some of the other "repairs" and "upgrades" you've made to your car.

Seriously, i spent more than that on booze on a Saturday night ...
confused24.gif
ggenovez
If it was $100 we would not be having this discussion.

I need to complete (left and right) rear $205, The seat reinforcement $25, brackets 84 and hinges $100.

Now at $400+ SH it's becoming more expensive. Add to whatever else I can't see or haven't reached and the project becomes very expensive.

parts like the engine tray are beyond my skill but if its a matter of pressing some pieces of wood into sheet metal, I'm more than capable.
CptTripps
This kit has all you need for $350.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/KIT-H

We're just saying...there are MANY that have been here before, and we all agree....just buy the prefabbed stuff.

Either way. Good luck! We'll all be watching and love to see progress threads.
ThePaintedMan
I don't think you're smoking crack to consider it. But again, you will almost surely come out on top and end up with a much nicer/easier install with the pre-formed pieces. RD makes great stuff.

You could buy the rear section from them and see if you can sources the hinges and mounts from someone cutting up a parts car. That's what I did.
toolguy
Please take this as constructive. .
What is your time and frustration worth after you subtract the materials cost??
And when you're finished it's going to be apparent forever that someone homemade a
replacement panel rather than purchase the correct part. .
Sounds a bit like "penny wise and pound foolish" as the old saying goes. .

ggenovez
Good idea George,

Where did you source your parts?
ThePaintedMan
Just place a WTB in the Classifieds section. There are several cars being cut up at the moment I believe.
saigon71
Post #25 and #185 shows how I fabricated pieces of the floor pan.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...gon71++progress

I agree with everyone else - it's just not worth it...buy it from Restoration Design.

If you choose to move forward with fabrication - use 18GA sheet metal for the floor pans. Also, before making a decision, take a close look at your center tunnel on the bottom. After going through all the work of fabricating what I needed for the floor pans, I discovered my center tunnel was shot (hidden beneath undercoating).

I ended up buying the rear half floor pan anyhow and cutting out what I needed. dry.gif

mr914
I agree, the prefab from RD is the way to go.

Some of the bits you can buy from board members, but you may spend hours grinding welds, blasting etc...

Dan then, still, you may have gaps from the new pans to the old body...
bigkensteele
Too bad you aren't closer. I have a full passenger side pan that I would gladly sell for $100 but I have no idea what it would cost to ship.
scotty b
I'm all for it. Make you own pans, keep track of your time and let us know how long it takes. Post lots of pics too beerchug.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
No regrets ordering the RD pans here. Very nice parts and happy with the end results!!!
mgp4591
Andy, after riding in your car and seeing the work in it, yours is definitely a benchmark build. Mine won't be that nice but great inspiration is always welcome! smilie_pokal.gif
All the other work pictured in this thread and others is what keeps me going too!
colingreene
Why is it that no one considers that while you think you can save money building your own panels you are actually costing the community money.
Without companies like RD making parts we buy where will be when no more cars are left to cut up?
Stop being a cheapo support the community and the businesses that help keep it alive.
edwin
Seems everyone is focused on the time and money not the experience.
Dad and I made our own floorpan replacement section and it didn't turn out too bad.
I did end up buying a full pan and extra panels from resto design but I'm glad we did our own first as it's helped with other panels I've had to make from scratch.
mepstein
On the east coast, there's usually so much to repair that any prefab metal is sought after. As George stated, the cost of supplies made his home made pans a wash. Many of us owe the rebirth of our cars to Restoration design. pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.