Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got 1972 914 where do I start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe penge
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 23 2015, 01:09 PM) *

Hey Joe. Great to meet you. Here's my unsolicited advice: Sell it as is...at a loss if you have to.

From the limited posts I've read, it sounds like you're going to get in WAY over your head in a hurry. I hate to be the guy to come off like a dick....I'm really not that way. Just being honest.

I'm sure I'll likely get flamed, but if you aren't ready to realistically spend $2500-$4000 fixing that one...then bail now. There are a LOT of 914s out there that have the exact same issues, so there is plenty of support if you want it. But you do have to want it.

Look over some of the restoration threads. Just about all of us have had the longs off at some point and it's never a trivial job.

I'd LOVE to see you go at it and restore the whole thing. Honestly...I really would. But I'm being realistic. If you're looking for something that you can drive and feel good about, start with a different car.

Thanks honest is good if it only takes $3000 im in !!! Just trying and learning see what and where I need be before I'm very upside down...a plus is that engine ran good today now next step....
mepstein
Doug is being kind. It's a decent parts car but you'll spend $10K (probably more) + a couple years to get it back on the road and running well.

Engine
trans
replacement metal
paint
interior
brakes
shocks
tires
seals, gaskets, bushings, hoses, lines
ect.
worn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2015, 07:04 PM) *

Doug is being kind. It's a decent parts car but you'll spend $10K (probably more) + a couple years to get it back on the road and running well.

Engine
trans
replacement metal
paint
interior
brakes
shocks
tires
ect.

I agree that Doug is being kind, and he knows. I disagree that this is a parts car. I think that term is vanishing. But I am betting that you wanted a cool sports car, to drive. what you now have is a possible big commitment to bringing one to life. Not at all the same experience. This is generally beyond the means of many experienced car guys. If it isn't expensive it is difficult, dirty, boring, and dangerous. And, if you dont take it far enough, you get nothing.
Would I take it on? Yeah, but I like to grind and weld, and it will take a lot of grinding and welding. Then we can think about the motor.
Again I am not geographically too far, so you have help.
poorsche914
Here are pics of my 914 when I bought it nearly 5 years ago... I have the feeling many on this forum would have said "Part it" after seeing these pictures.

PASSENGER LONG
Click to view attachment

DRIVER LONG
Click to view attachment

REAR TRUNK
Click to view attachment

HELL HOLE
Click to view attachment

TONS of bondo on front fender and other places barf.gif
Click to view attachment

At Okteenerfest 2014
Click to view attachment

My point... unless it is rusted so bad that it is ready to collapse, make your 914 safe first - fuel system, brakes, etc and then fix it up a little at a time.

Even with fairly recent paint/bodywork (shoddy but that's another story) my 914 is a 20-footer at best dry.gif But as my daily driver I have focused on engine (new FI lines, fuel pump, tank, lines, etc), suspension (totally redone with stiffer torsion bars, turbo tie rods, bushings, 140# springs, etc), brakes (new disks, pads), and interior (work in progress). All done a little at a time over the past few years.

I know my 914 needs a LOT of bodywork. And at some point that will get done. Until then, I enjoy driving every day!

driving.gif
Joe penge
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 23 2015, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2015, 07:04 PM) *

Engine
trans
replacement metal
paint
interior
brakes
shocks
tires
ect.

I agree that Doug is being kind, and he knows. I disagree that this is a parts car. I think that term is vanishing. But I am betting that you wanted a cool sports car, to drive. what you now have is a possible big commitment to bringing one to life. Not at all the same experience. This is generally beyond the means of many experienced car guys. If it isn't expensive it is difficult, dirty, boring, and dangerous. And, if you dont take it far enough, you get nothing.
Would I take it on? Yeah, but I like to grind and weld, and it will take a lot of grinding and welding. Then we can think about the motor.
Again I am not geographically too far, so you have help.
thank you so much would like the help and guidance you can give ,you are little over 2 hours away from me I'm at six flags great America exit...well with this said she will be saved no parts car here lol!!!
Joe penge
That pump I was talking about sold $315 Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Joe penge @ Jan 24 2015, 02:28 PM) *

That pump I was talking about sold $315 Click to view attachment

Way too much for a rebuilt pump.
The problem with driving around with rusted longs is there is a good chance the seatbelt mounting point is compromised and not hold secure during an accident and also the car might fold up on you.
Joe penge
Ok turned key and started right up today so I changed oil and filter today and tested first gear and reverse both did great and stoped but now fuel is leaking from hose on fuel injectors and at the base of intake so ordered all the parts to take out and redo 45 fuel line upper and lower seal and spring washer ..regulator is not leaking so will try to keep old ones in but drove 100 ft front and backwards so think it's on a good path is it easy to do injector redo parts?
Dave_Darling
If the injectors are leaking from the fuel lines, they're pretty easy. If the lines to the injectors still have the old crimp-on clamps, you'll have to cut them off. Replace with fuel injector hose clamps--the ones shapes like an omega or horseshoe, not the ones with a worm gear that cut into the hose.

If an injectors is leaking around the electrical connector, or down right where it plugs into the intake, you should replace the whole injector.

Injectors are held into the intake pipes by one M6 (10mm wrench) nut. Remove that nut, pull the metal retainer off the stud on the intake, grab the injector and pull straight out. There is one large O-ring on the injector body that the retainer seats on. There is one small O-ring near the end of the injector, where it slides into the intake. Replace both of those O-rings; leaks in the latter especially make for some ugly driveability problems.

--DD
CptTripps
What likely happened was they were on the "edge" of going bad, and when you put pressure through them, it pushed them over said edge.

Replace the lines...replace the crimps as Dave noted...you should be good to go.

Post some more pics of the rust you're dealing with. We can help you make a decision on how far you want to take it. Do you have anyone with a lift that can put her in the air for you?
Han Solo
QUOTE(Joe penge @ Jan 21 2015, 06:27 PM) *

Well my heart is broken not sure it can be fixed I took pic of bad side other is half the holes..Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I've seen worse. Heck, I own one in worse shape than that. That's definitely repairable. But there's going to be more rust for sure. If you want to learn to weld - get that chassis up on a lift, drop the engine and transmission, drop the suspension, strip the interior (you might be able to leave the dash in) and start stripping the undercoating and paint. That's when you'll find all the rust. You need a dry garage with space you can occupy for about 12 months. The small rust areas can be repaired with sheet metal patches but get the RD parts for large areas like floor pans, trunk pans, inner and outer longs. For some inspiration check out my thread...

Rusty Bucket Into Solo Toy

Much of what I did was not a true restoration but my goal was to have a fun autocross car on a budget. You'll figure out where you're headed when you get knee-deep in rusty metal smile.gif
Joe penge
Need help finding the bracket that holds the ecm board to the battery tray a part number or where to find this ???i found mine laying in engine compartment.
stinkindiesel
QUOTE(Joe penge @ Jan 29 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Need help finding the bracket that holds the ecm board to the battery tray a part number or where to find this ???i found mine laying in engine compartment.

Mine was the same when I bought the car. I ended up fabbing a bracket from a piece of aluminum L. Not as pretty, but a darned sight cheaper. Maybe some day I'll get the real thing, but there are just too many more things to spend money on first.

Gary
OllieG
QUOTE(Joe penge @ Jan 29 2015, 05:22 PM) *

Hi,

My 2 cents, I really think you need to assess how structurally safe your car is to drive before you worry about fuel pumps, brackets etc... From the pic you posted it looks like the Longs could be really compromised.

I would get it on a lift and have a trusted expert have a look at it before you spend anything on little things.

Post more pics of the Longs, Hell Hole, Battery tray, floor pans etc...if you can.

Cheers.
MJHanna
The fuel pump you were looking at was for a 911 with MFI. NOT the same pump used on your car. That was not a bad price for a MFI pump. If yours quits again re read the post about the NAPA pump. I think your in over your head. welder.gif IF you don't weld and are not planning to learn you need to run from this project. welder.gif
Joe penge
I was offered help to weld I'm ordering rockers and battery tray and other stuff but need sheet of metal all stuff I have been reading is 20 gauge aluminized steel is this what most are using ? Also picked up a Clark mig wilder with gas and going to run #23 wire for auto welding so I'm trying to get ready to do this right......
somd914
You certainly have a project on your hands. I agree it would be wise to determine the real extent of the rust which is always worse than it looks on the surface - mechanical work is far cheaper and easier than major body work.

Then you need determine what your goals are:

1) Project car that will take years and $$$ (always more than estimated) to make right, but will offer satisfaction in knowing you brought a car back from the dead.

2) Something to tinker on but be able to drive and enjoy immediately or soon while you take your time making her right.

3) Something that is well sorted and upgrades being the "need" , but given the car you bought, I'd say this isn't the path you were interested in.

One major consideration is that you'll invest far more into this car than she'll be worth. But all hobbies cost money (cars and sailing for me- big cash outlays but worth it to me).

For me, I went route 2. My '73 was restored during '03-'04 which included hell hole replacement, jack tube replacements, left long repair, and sail panel replacements. I bought it 4 years ago with 27k miles since restoration. I paid about 30 cents on the dollar put into restoring it.

As you can see, she has changed a bit...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Joe penge
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 31 2015, 07:23 AM) *

You certainly have a project on your hands. I agree it would be wise to determine the real extent of the rust which is always worse than it looks on the surface - mechanical work is far cheaper and easier than major body work.

Then you need determine what your goals are:

1) Project car that will take years and $$$ (always more than estimated) to make right, but will offer satisfaction in knowing you brought a car back from the dead.

2) Something to tinker on but be able to drive and enjoy immediately or soon while you take your time making her right.

3) Something that is well sorted and upgrades being the "need" , but given the car you bought, I'd say this isn't the path you were interested in.

One major consideration is that you'll invest far more into this car than she'll be worth. But all hobbies cost money (cars and sailing for me- big cash outlays but worth it to me).

For me, I went route 2. My '73 was restored during '03-'04 which included hell hole replacement, jack tube replacements, left long repair, and sail panel replacements. I bought it 4 years ago with 27k miles since restoration. I paid about 30 cents on the dollar put into restoring it.

As you can see, she has changed a bit...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Looks great hope I can make mine look like that..did you learn how to weld doing this car?
Han Solo
QUOTE(Joe penge @ Jan 29 2015, 10:39 PM) *

I was offered help to weld I'm ordering rockers and battery tray and other stuff but need sheet of metal all stuff I have been reading is 20 gauge aluminized steel is this what most are using ?

20 gauge cold rolled steel. Clean and prime each patch with weld through primer before you weld it in. That way it's protected against rust even if it's inside where you can't get to it later.
somd914
QUOTE(Joe penge @ Feb 1 2015, 01:04 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 31 2015, 07:23 AM) *

You certainly have a project on your hands...

Looks great hope I can make mine look like that..did you learn how to weld doing this car?

Not my work, PO saved the car from the crusher - he had a shop do the body work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.