Pages: 1, 2
914Next
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 10 2015, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Sep 10 2015, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Sep 10 2015, 10:57 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 10:55 PM) *

Good luck, enjoy your car.
The next owner will be doomed to fix it.

Sounds like you might have $750 to wager? All kidding aside, I'll take that risk. I plan to keep this one and pass on to my kids.

I think you may be too scared to look.

Just noticed that you are member #124...that's very impressive seeing that I'm in the 17,000's. Not afraid to look...just making my own call based upon how I see it...and have considered all the good comments here. I'm sure you'd make your own call in the end also. Thanks.

Where is the link (other thread) to all of your pics?

Also, were you able to take pics with your boroscope? In some ways, I'd like to get an idea of what my car *might* looks like on the longs. I know there is surface rust in there because I have a somewhat minor hellhole problem and I can see minor surface rust on the longs. Here's my thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=227937&hl=

Notice the very minor surface rust around the jack plate. There's rust behind there.

Here is the link for my thread in the originality forum. Again, not a lot of pics yet on the areas we're talking about here but you can get an idea of the overall condition of the car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...256832&st=0

I don't have pics with the boroscope but I can certainly try to take some. Car is in storage right now and I'm traveling for the next couple of weeks but will see if I can do that soon.

I remember seeing your thread. Is that original paint under the longs or was it repainted at some point. Very clean.
914Next
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 10 2015, 11:17 PM) *

Why not just undo the bottom screws and flex the covers out enough to stick a digital camera in there with the flash and see what the picture shows. shouldn't take to much room from underneath to prove everyone wrong.

Yeah I may try to do that. I did unbolt the bottom screws to try to clean behind them. The bolts came out fairly easily and I got quite a bit of dust that fell out. No rust scale with the dirt/dust although I did find a bit of rat or mouse poisoning pellets that had been carried behind there and deposited.
brettrarnold
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 21 2015, 01:57 PM) *

agree.gif

At the very least, remove the screws on the bottom and swing them up and out a bit. You'll be distressed at the amount of dirt and crud that falls out. Then take a look at the rockers that had been covered by the covers. If you don't find holes, consider yourself fortunate.

--DD

Hey everyone I took off my rocker panels for the first time and noticed pretty bad rust with holes in the frame. Now that i know something needs to be done, I have a few questions.

Do I cut it completely out any rust and weld in support or should I try to salvage it clean and patch?

Also since I am in the process of engine removal, should I get that out before doing frame repair or maybe I might not be able to lift the car up off the engine given the poor frame quality.

-Brett

Jeffs9146
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Do not try and patch that!
brettrarnold
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 14 2015, 11:47 AM) *

Ya I was assuming that would be the answer. I guess I should have prefaced my post with I know very little about auto repair in general and this is my first project car so learning curve is HUGE.

Anyway onto the rust. Cut it out and what size do you think I would need to weld back in its place? I suppose it maybe a case by case question and may not be able to be answered without seeing it, but any help would be appreciated.

For the engine, should I try to remove that first?
boxsterfan
QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Sep 14 2015, 11:04 AM) *

Ya I was assuming that would be the answer. I guess I should have prefaced my post with I know very little about auto repair in general and this is my first project car so learning curve is HUGE.

Anyway onto the rust. Cut it out and what size do you think I would need to weld back in its place? I suppose it maybe a case by case question and may not be able to be answered without seeing it, but any help would be appreciated.

Engine out. Then start poking around with a screwdriver as you will find more week spots.

Then go to http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914 and start getting some replacememnt metal.
brettrarnold
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 14 2015, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Sep 14 2015, 11:04 AM) *

Engine out. Then start poking around with a screwdriver as you will find more week spots.

Then go to http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914 and start getting some replacememnt metal.

Thanks and will update when engine is out!
Dave_Darling
Brace the door openings, because it's way too easy to warp the chassis when you're welding on a bunch of metal in an important spot like that.

--DD
76-914
QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Sep 10 2015, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Sep 10 2015, 12:15 PM) *

Anyway, I've not done it before but if I pull my rockers am I going to have access to the heater duct?

Looks like from pictures in this thread, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=227937&hl= I have my answer, and that seems to be "no" there is not access to the heater duct. How would I access the heater duct if I suspect that it is broken in between the two ends?

Go to page 14, beginning at post number 232. This was quite easy. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1776&st=220
cary

You have to cut it back until you get to GOOD solid steel. You need to really do your due diligence here. The sheet metal here is 3 layers think in the place your looking at and these cars, for the most part rust from the in side out.
If you don't already have one, you need to get what Scotty affectionately calls the lie detector. A grinder with a braided wire cop brush.

Click to view attachment

Like Dave said, no cutting until the doors are braced. I'd do both sides for good measure.

When it comes to replacing the steel you have two choices. Make your own, or buy the complete piece from RD and cut out what you need. If you make your own the problem your going to run into here is making the turns and corners. When you stretch it it gets thinner in spots. My .02c for this morning.

Claus Graf
Be afraid, be very afraid of what is underneath.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.