Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 engine cross bar mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I have a 1970 Porsche 914 that I'm putting a 1974 2.0L 4cyl Porsche 914 engine back into. Is the engine crossbar that supports the engine the same no matter if your using a rear mount or side mount transmission? Thanks
zambezi
No. The crossbars are different.
Hank914
Yes, the support bar for a side shift has a hole in it for the shift linkage bar to go thru. A bit different with the tail shift support bar. I'm sure you can find pics around here. I have a tail shift support bar if you need one, but I think here are lots of them, since people go from tail to side shift much more often.
TargaToy
The hardware for mounting the bars to the car's engine mount consoles is also different. Early cars (tail shift) have the vibration isolators at each end of the mount bar. Later cars are hard mounted on the ends and have a rubber isolators where the motor bolts to the bar in the middle.
bdstone914

.Edit
Sorry i misread your post. Thought you were putting a early trans in a laye car. Go with what Dave said. You also need the three shift boots for the side shift linkage.
Bruce

Dave_Darling
If you're keeping the tail-shifter in the early car, keep all of the linkage, plus motor mounts and such.

If you're changing over to a side shifter, you'll need:
- Side-shift trans
- Complete shift linkage: Rear rod, front rod, coupler, and even the gear shift lever
- Late motor mount
- Rubber inboard mounts & brackets
- Solid outboard mounts & brackets
- Converter bushing for the hole in the firewall

--DD
maf914
Here are the two type 4 engine bars, late model side shift above, early model tail shift below.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.