Full Version: Stoddard producing new 914-6 heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sbsix
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(sbsix @ Sep 11 2015, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 08:49 AM) *

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, but it will be a LONG time before I install them. Is it safe to assume that they would be the corrected version? I am a bit nervous now.

Toolguy on this forum has a template for fitment based on his OE HEs. I would email him to ask for a paper copy to transfer to plexiglas to double check the Stoddard replacements.

Actually, after I posted, I realized that I still have the 911 exchangers that came with the motor, so I can make my own template. I plan on doing that this weekend and reporting back.

Well, my first preliminary check tonight is somewhat discouraging. I took a small level and laid it across the flanges to see if they were on or close to a plane. They are not.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

These last two are of the 911 unit that came with my motor. MUCH more level.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I think that I have some 1/8 plate around the garage somewhere. If I can squeeze it in this weekend, I will make a jig and see if the bolt holes line up and how much force it takes to bring these into plane. However, given that they are visibly out and it is steel (exchangers) vs. aluminum (heads), I don't know that I want to live with that kind of stress pulling at my exhaust studs.

More to come...

The picture of your "new" Stoddard/Dansk HE shows the original problem with the first sets they sold. If they didn't fix the issue about level flanges I doubt if the bolt holes line up either. I'll let everyone know what my second set looks like when I get them this coming week.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 12 2015, 06:50 AM) *

No good deed goes unpunished. I worked out a deal for Ken to get these as a thanks for help on the dash, I just dropped them an email. Sorry for the Hassle on this Ken. I hope we can get this resolved shortly. I'm sure Stoddard will do the right thing.
Mark

Thanks, Mark. I am certain it will get worked out.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 12 2015, 08:13 AM) *

All I want for Christmas is a set of Marty-made heat exchanger/headers for my Six. Damn, those are beautiful drooley.gif

Really sucks about the fitment of the Stoddard/dansk exchangers, hard to understand why QC would miss this before it went out the door.

Marty has said in the past that he wasn't interested in reproducing heat exchangers.
I have a set of Marty's headers and the quality is top notch to say the least, but the design would be not the best for a heater box retrofit. He would be looking at a total redesign of the headers, so essentially he'd be starting from scratch.
Per Schroeder
That is hard to understand, as we worked out the template with Toolguy and bolted the jig to every single one we received back from customers---and they were sent back to Dansk for retooling---Dansk scrapped them all and made new ones which are on the way back to our customers at this time.

The new ones come with a template/jig bolted to each and every one.

I believe you may have one of the original batches sold to one of our dealers. We didn't receive all of the original ones back from the dealers.

Give us a call (800) 342-1414 and we'll make it right.
scotty b
Not to pile on ( but I will ) ...... I have been having constant issues with Dansk body panels the last few years. The last 911 door skin I got had to be cut and widened almost 1/8 inch just to fit over the original inner shell. I'm not sure what is going on with the QC over there, but it's starting to look like the U.S. and Chinese factories have taken control hide.gif
rick 918-S
Way to step up. beerchug.gif Sucks when stuff like this happens but it's how it's dealt with that makes the story a happy ending. I would love to pick through their scrap pile. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I have to applaude Stoddard for stepping up to the plate to address this fitment issue. Hopefully the OP received one of the original new sets and not the corrected version. I look forward to someone posting after receiving the corrected set to see how fitment is. Thanks Stoddard.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Per Schroeder @ Sep 14 2015, 12:04 PM) *

That is hard to understand, as we worked out the template Toolguy and bolted the jig to every single one we received back from customers and they were sent back to Dansk to retooling---Dansk scrapped them all and made new ones which are on the way back to our customers at this time.

I believe you may have one of the original batches sold to one of our dealers. We didn't receive all of the original ones back from the dealers.

We got two sets in for customers and they bolt right on now:

Click to view attachment

Stoddard did everything by the book to make it perfect. Our new ones came with the jig attached. beerchug.gif
dcheek
You guys crack me up.
You pay $3000 and you want them to fit?
Don't you think you're asking too much?

Ahhhh.....sarcasm.... the lowest form of humor.

Makes you really appreciate how well made these cars were originally. There is no way the factory would tolerate such a defect, and why Porsche is so particular with its parts and parts suppliers. Can you imagine what it cost to replace all those porous Boxster engine blocks?!

Dave
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Per Schroeder @ Sep 14 2015, 10:04 AM) *

That is hard to understand, as we worked out the template with Toolguy and bolted the jig to every single one we received back from customers---and they were sent back to Dansk for retooling---Dansk scrapped them all and made new ones which are on the way back to our customers at this time.

Just got off the phone with Pete. Sounds like this will have a good ending.

Thanks, Per.
Cairo94507
That is definitely sweet! Eric how did those oily fingerprints get on the new HE's? Can these be ceramic coated?
sbsix
Received my second set of HEs from Stoddard and they are perfect. Big thanks to toolguy for providing me a template and sending one to Stoddard to assure that the new batch fits. Stoddard even sends them with a steel template bolted to each HE.

Thanks again Dave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.