Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stoddard producing new 914-6 heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
campbellcj
Just FYI - sorry if this is a re-post. No affiliation other than being a long-time satisfied customer.

http://www.stoddard.com/sic-211-005-00.html

IPB Image

pete000
Wish I had 3 grand to be on the waiting list !
bulitt
As these cars become more popular we may see more manufacturers making parts?
Cap'n Krusty
If they're being sold by Stoddard, they ARE factory parts, just not sourced through the same path as parts for currently supported vehicles.

The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
Though they're expensive, they do look beautifully made. I wish they made them in larger diameters, but the tooling costs would be immense. Otherwise, I wish Billy Boat's heat exchangers were better fits and worked better as he does make them in larger diameters. It seems most conversions are using larger engines than the original 2.0 liter.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 4 2015, 01:39 PM) *

If they're being sold by Stoddard, they ARE factory parts, just not sourced through the same path as parts for currently supported vehicles.

The Cap'n

Nope, Dansk reproductions.

Yes, there is a thread on this and one from Stoddards (Per Schroeder) in the vendors section.
IronHillRestorations
I tried to get Dansk to work with me to make thosed, some 15 years ago. I sent a set to them, and they weren't interested. Told me whatever tooling they ever might have had for those had long since been scrapped on the instruction from Porsche. Hmmmm
JeffBowlsby
Wish they would tool up for the 914/4 2.0L HEs.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 4 2015, 10:39 AM) *

The Cap'n

I know for a fact through multiple sources, Dansk is providing the dealerships with the " factory " parts. Most anything you are buying at the dealer for older Porsches, thinking they are " factory " is marked up Dansk. I've just gone through this looking for NOS 911 door skins, and early 911 fenders. Same parts from R.D./Pelican as the dealer for significantly less
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 4 2015, 11:45 AM) *

The Cap'n

Yes, there is a thread on this and one from Stoddards (Per Schroeder) in the vendors section.

Surely you don't think Porsche made all those original HEs inhouse. Nearly everything is supplied under contract by outside suppliers. Dansk may not be the original supplier, but those new ones are as "factory" as you're ever gonna see.
bulitt
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 4 2015, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 4 2015, 11:45 AM) *

The Cap'n

Surely you don't think Porsche made all those original HEs inhouse. Nearly everything is supplied under contract by outside suppliers. Dansk may not be the original supplier, but those new ones are as "factory" as you're ever gonna see.

Cruster lol-2.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIL2kmKAetQ
Targa70
Anybody on the forum had a chance to get a set and test them out. I am curious about fit and performance?
siverson
> Anybody on the forum had a chance to get a set and test them out. I am curious about fit and performance?

Anybody yet? I'm curious too... I seem to recall toolguy had a set...?

-Steve
toolguy
Got my set. . looked great. . . pulled my old ones of and guess what. . don't fit, bolt holes do not line up and mating surfaces not parallel with heads. .
I'm working with Stoddard's manager. . made him a template of my old exchanges. .
As of now, Dansk has recalled them. . waiting for word on new production run. .
And to be fair to Stoddard, they are bending over backwards to get these right. . great customer service, just have to go through the pains of being the first to try them out. . additional customers reporting the same issues.

Here's how far off the bolt holes are. .plexiglas locating fixture I made and my old factory exchangers and then the new Dansk, and the mating surfaces
altitude411
Wow! I bet someone is getting a spank.gif ...
Steve
I can't believe they didn't have a six to try them on before mass producing them. Otherwise I wish I had the money for them when they get them right. Mine are pretty trashed but work great and provide awesome heat in the winter time, which is kind of a joke in Southern California.
Cairo94507
Sorry to see that but I am sure Stoddard will make it right.

I have decided (before the fitment issue came to light) to have Scotty blast and repair mine as needed and then have them ceramic coated and use them.

What I am really trying to find is a set of headers with heat exchangers in 1 5/8" tubing to help the 3.2 run properly. Perhaps even 1 3/4" tubing depending upon what the people in the know about this stuff (certainly not me) have to say.
sbsix
My set were exactly flawed like toolguy mentioned. Stoddard took the return with no issues and I'm waiting for word about Dansk retooling and offering them again.
bob
Was Stoddard able to fix the issues and do these fit now?

anyone buy and install these recently?

-bob
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 05:41 AM) *

agree.gif agree.gif
siverson
popcorn[1].gif
johnhora
They have fixed the design issue....
They provided a full refund to the purchasers plus paid for return shipping of the defective units.
They have offered to pay shipping to those original buyers for new units.
The Stoddards team is first class and are Porsche owners and Porsche Nuts...
They have always been upstanding in my personal dealings with them and the products I have purchased have always been OEM or OEM compatible.
sbsix
No word from Dansk or Stoddard yet. Toolguy and I have been checking in with them periodically.
Cairo94507
huh.gif confused24.gif
sbsix
Just checked in with Stoddard and they have a few in stock of the new batch. Ordered another set and should have them next week. I'll let every body know how they fit.

bigkensteele
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, but it will be a LONG time before I install them. Is it safe to assume that they would be the corrected version? I am a bit nervous now.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 4 2015, 02:44 PM) *

I tried to get Dansk to work with me to make thosed, some 15 years ago. I sent a set to them, and they weren't interested. Told me whatever tooling they ever might have had for those had long since been scrapped on the instruction from Porsche. Hmmmm

Porsche has always funneled contract work out to satellite mfgs. especially exhaust. In the '70s the HB'S were probably built by Bischoff, Eberspacher, Leistritz, or Dansk. Today the new 991 gt3 titanium headers are US made.
As far as qc goes with these new Stoddard repops, I've seen some of the reports + photos here on this thread... not a high qc operation.There is no excuse for sloppy tolerances like this/ then packed up and shipped to a customer. The few exhaust mfgs. here on world, myself included know how bad your reputation will suffer with C- parts being sold. Stoddard is doing the right thing, but their problem needs to be corrected in the factory.Click to view attachment
db9146
How 'bout a line of MSDS heat exchangers?

That twin turbo monster you're building is going to go through a lot of tires and gas!!!

shades.gif
sbsix
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 08:49 AM) *

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, but it will be a LONG time before I install them. Is it safe to assume that they would be the corrected version? I am a bit nervous now.

Toolguy on this forum has a template for fitment based on his OE HEs. I would email him to ask for a paper copy to transfer to plexiglas to double check the Stoddard replacements.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(sbsix @ Sep 11 2015, 09:29 AM) *

Toolguy on this forum has a template for fitment based on his OE HEs. I would email him to ask for a paper copy to transfer to plexiglas to double check the Stoddard replacements.

Actually, after I posted, I realized that I still have the 911 exchangers that came with the motor, so I can make my own template. I plan on doing that this weekend and reporting back.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 11 2015, 09:27 AM) *

That twin turbo monster you're building is going to go through a lot of tires and gas!!!

shades.gif

I have a feeling that's not going to happen sad.gif
A retro fit for his headers would rock, but being they are ceramic coated they probably won't work great with the coating....unless someone tells me I'm incorrect.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 11 2015, 12:26 PM) *

shades.gif

A retro fit for his headers would rock, but being they are ceramic coated they probably won't work great with the coating....unless someone tells me I'm incorrect.

We repair/ ceramic coat oe heater boxes all the time. The factory used a high temp paint and in wet climates didn't last...which compromised the steel. I'm not game just yet on getting into the HB business, but for a consultation fee I will correct Stoddard's QC manufacturing issue smile.gif
JmuRiz
I meant I have MSDS ceramic headers for my conversion...and with that nice coating I don't think the heat would heat up the heater boxes enough to cook you in the cabin biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 11 2015, 01:40 PM) *

shades.gif

We repair/ ceramic coat oe heater boxes all the time. The factory used a high temp paint and in wet climates didn't last...which compromised the steel. I'm not game just yet on getting into the HB business, but for a consultation fee I will correct Stoddard's QC manufacturing issue smile.gif

I'd be very interested in a set of your headers with HBs done by you. There is no good aftermarket solution. Most look questionable, and I don't hear good things about how they work. The Dansk HEs (and used factory HEs) are $,$$$ with too many issues or potential issues.

The other nice thing about a setup from you would be people with bigger displacement sixes might have a shot at heat with correct tube sizing. Ceramic coating would be a nice option, as I don't need a lot of heat, and the last set of SSIs made too much unless you turned the heat down.
Cairo94507
I too would be interested in headers with heat exchangers made by Maltese Falcon. At this point Scotty is blasting and patching up my stock heat exchangers and then I am going to have them Jet Hot coated. I would like to go with a larger size tubing to accommodate the 3.2 motor.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 11 2015, 02:10 PM) *

shades.gif

I'd be very interested in a set of your headers with HBs done by you. There is no good aftermarket solution. Most look questionable, and I don't hear good things about how they work. The Dansk HEs (and used factory HEs) are $,$$$ with too many issues or potential issues.

The other nice thing about a setup from you would be people with bigger displacement sixes might have a shot at heat with correct tube sizing. Ceramic coating would be a nice option, as I don't need a lot of heat, and the last set of SSIs made too much unless you turned the heat down.

Pete
If you get a moment at Renn5, drop by the MSDS exhibit we can have a quick chat about this most entertaining topic smile.gif
Space #7 in the merchant row.
Marty
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 11 2015, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 11 2015, 02:10 PM) *

shades.gif

Pete
If you get a moment at Renn5, drop by the MSDS exhibit we can have a quick chat about this most entertaining topic smile.gif
Space #7 in the merchant row.
Marty

I like it. Will look for you!

pete
bigkensteele
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(sbsix @ Sep 11 2015, 09:29 AM) *

Actually, after I posted, I realized that I still have the 911 exchangers that came with the motor, so I can make my own template. I plan on doing that this weekend and reporting back.

Well, my first preliminary check tonight is somewhat discouraging. I took a small level and laid it across the flanges to see if they were on or close to a plane. They are not.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

These last two are of the 911 unit that came with my motor. MUCH more level.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I think that I have some 1/8 plate around the garage somewhere. If I can squeeze it in this weekend, I will make a jig and see if the bolt holes line up and how much force it takes to bring these into plane. However, given that they are visibly out and it is steel (exchangers) vs. aluminum (heads), I don't know that I want to live with that kind of stress pulling at my exhaust studs.

More to come...
SirAndy
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 07:43 PM) *
Well, my first preliminary check tonight is somewhat discouraging. I took a small level and laid it across the flanges to see if they were on or close to a plane. They are not.

QA is a thing of the past ...
sad.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 11 2015, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 11 2015, 07:43 PM) *

QA is a thing of the past ...
sad.gif

Yeah, that was my thought is well. How hard would it be to pass it through a QA station where somebody simply placed a jig across the flanges to verify that they are flat and the holes line up. Is that really too much to ask when these things cost three thousand freaking dollars?!?!?
confused24.gif headbang.gif
toolguy
sad.gif

Yeah, that was my thought is well. How hard would it be to pass it through a QA station where somebody simply placed a jig across the flanges to verify that they are flat and the holes line up. Is that really too much to ask when these things cost three thousand freaking dollars?!?!?
confused24.gif headbang.gif

When I had the initial problem 6 months ago and reported it to Stoddard, I made them a bolt stud location pattern and sent it to the man who was supposedly in charge of their Six exchanger program. . They have that pattern, and said they would check every set they received before being shipped to customers. . apparently seeing the latest newer pictures they still haven't got the assembly process figured out. .
From talking with them, they said the tubes were assembled on a jig. . my guess is they are flexing the tubes to weld the collector flange, and when the heat distortion cools at the fixed welded collector, the head mount flanges become out of specs. . You'd expect the guy welding the mess would realize when he tries to pull the set off the jig and they stick on the studs, something isn't quite right and remove them from shipping. .
For what it's worth, no way would I torque a stud in an aluminum head enough to pull that crooked flange parallel to the port. . just asking for trouble and exactly who is going to have to pay to fix your stripped head stud hole. .
Cairo94507
That is disappointing. How hard would it be to mill the flange flat, assuming the bolt holes are in the proper orientation?
toolguy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 11 2015, 08:57 PM) *

That is disappointing. How hard would it be to mill the flange flat, assuming the bolt holes are in the proper orientation?

Milling it would take 5 minutes. . however figuring a way to fixture it on the mill table and the other flanges without distorting then from their 'relaxed ' position would be a nightmare. .
I've been a machinist for years and I can't imagine a realistic way of doing it given the sheet metal heater box under the flanges. . nothing to grip. . .
Then again, for 3 grand they should be perfect outta the box. . and if you screw up the exchanger I'd bet they be non returnable. .
Maltese Falcon
Agreed, once the upper and lower stamped metal shells have been crimped in place; it's game over for holding the HB in a machining/milling operation. That is, if you really don't mind having all of the clamping dents in your once handsome $3,000.00 heater boxes.
Even while holding spec in hot welding jigs, if released too soon from the jig to cool down, primary header tubes move like snakes.
Several normalizing techniques are used to bring back into spec, a slight amount of surfacing and all is well.
Like Toolguy said, once the metal shells are on where do you place the hold down clamps ?
Idea idea.gif how about; QC the primaries after welding, then crimping on the shells.
Example part that we build, the v10 BMW m5/m6 pulse tuned headers.
We use welding jigs and then we bolt each header into cooling jigs. Final flange surface machining is only a razor thin cleanup.
QC is just part of the job biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I would not touch them but call stoddard for a call tag to pick up and refund money in full.
Cairo94507
All I want for Christmas is a set of Marty-made heat exchanger/headers for my Six. Damn, those are beautiful drooley.gif
rick 918-S
I would think the jig would require holding both the muffler flange and the head flanges at the same time. I wonder what they are doing with the rejects..... idea.gif
Peashooter
What you need is a machine similar to what I saw during a visit to Ollie's shop. It is basically a large custom made belt sander that they use to resurface the case halves. That way you could level out all three flanges at once.
Sad to hear of the poor quality for a premium price!
Mikey914
No good deed goes unpunished. I worked out a deal for Ken to get these as a thanks for help on the dash, I just dropped them an email. Sorry for the Hassle on this Ken. I hope we can get this resolved shortly. I'm sure Stoddard will do the right thing.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.