Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to add a mechanical oil gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I'd like to have am accurate gauge right on the case of the /6 so I can keep an eye on the oil when I do the break-in. I've seen these on 911 and they face the back of the car to make it easy to read. I figure on the 914, it should face up. Anyone here installed one?
stugray
Here's mine:
IPB Image

IPB Image
It uses a grease gun hose, a dual pressure sender, and a mechanical pressure gauge.
r_towle
On the four, as stu posts, you can use a pain ball gun line, or a grease gun line to relocate the gauge, but you still would need to attach the stock idiot light sensor or it stays on....plus it all needs to be grounded to the stock sensor to work.

Rich
GeorgeRud
Nice installation.
aircooledtechguy
Autometer makes a nice dampened, fluid filled gauge that is pretty small (around 1.5") that works great. I have one on my fuel pressure loop in the Squareback but it can also be used for oil too. I bought mine from www.speedmartinc.com for $40. Worth every penny.

VDO sells an inexpensive non-dampened gauge too. What a POS!! I recommend against a non-dampened gauge. Motor vibration will kill it in a couple months of driving.
stugray
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 6 2015, 07:43 AM) *

Nice installation.

Thanks!

The gauge is from an accusump.
It is actually meant to go on the air side of the piston in the accusump, but works just fine as is (probably have an air bubble anyway).
And on the website, they dont say it is NOT for direct measurement of oil pressure.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/produc...AUGE-0-160-PSI/
Harpo
Sturay do you have a sketch of your clamp holding the "T" in place?

Thanks

David
stugray
Sturay do you have a sketch of your clamp holding the "T" in place?

No, but the lower piece is just a 1" U-channel.
The upper is either 1" angle or another piece of U-channel with a leg cut off.
I put some rubber shims under it to try to reduce the vibration.
No idea if it helps.
76-914
Why not install one in the cockpit? It's nice to monitor one's oil pressure. Never have trusted elec sending units for oil pressure.
TargaToy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 6 2015, 06:00 PM) *

Why not install one in the cockpit? It's nice to monitor one's oil pressure. .

That's what I'm thinking.
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 6 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Why not install one in the cockpit? It's nice to monitor one's oil pressure. Never have trusted elec sending units for oil pressure.

Got to be careful, do you want hot oil spraying on you in case of a leak?

I think there is a kit that has an isolator that you run in between the gauge and the oil line.
sixnotfour
I know you have a six ,so its easy..1/8 pipe thread gauge on end...

PanelBilly
I'll ad a triple gauge later, Just want something on the engine for now before I try to start it up. Figure its easier to install while the block is out of the car.
Not alot of room to work. Pelican said to put in this unit, but I don't think I'll be able to read the gauge since it will face the firewall

Click to view attachment

Here's how much space I have to deal with.

Click to view attachment
stugray
That sender unit is likely 1/8" NPT (cant see the bottom)

If you remove that you could put in a tee or a grease-gun hose to relocate the sender with the gauge.
sixnotfour
Billy wrong spot... There is a port next to the breather on a six way easier..
Usually there is a idiot light sender there..
PanelBilly
Ok that makes more sense
914bub
Id want one in the cockpit too. It's great to know your oil pressure at idle or even reving under no load but you'll care the most when your pushing your car through the twisties
PanelBilly
I'm planning to add a triple gauge but that may take a while. In the mean time, I'd like to be starting the engine
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 7 2015, 08:09 PM) *

Billy wrong spot... There is a port next to the breather on a six way easier..
Usually there is a idiot light sender there..

QUOTE(914bub @ Feb 7 2015, 09:20 PM) *

Id want one in the cockpit too. It's great to know your oil pressure at idle or even reving under no load but you'll care the most when your pushing your car through the twisties

Use the grease gun whip, add a T in the line and keep the idiot light as well.
Idiot light is very important to keep.

One thing about Stugary's set up I don't like is if he's using the VDO sender for the idiot light.
The VDO combo sender is known to be a very slow crap sender. It lights up after your engine is wiped out.
stugray
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2015, 06:24 AM) *

Use the grease gun whip, add a T in the line and keep the idiot light as well.
Idiot light is very important to keep.

One thing about Stugary's set up I don't like is if he's using the VDO sender for the idiot light.
The VDO combo sender is known to be a very slow crap sender. It lights up after your engine is wiped out.

agree.gif

I installed the mech gauge because I had never had this car running ,ever, so I didnt want to trust any electrical when I first cranked the engine for cam break-in.

I intended to swap out the gauge for the stock idiot pressure switch, but havent done so yet.

I have a backup though.
My datalogger reads all of the engine vitals and will turn on the "System idiot light" (Giant LED Trailer tail light!) on the dash if the pressure drops below a programmable value (same with oil temp, CHT, & EGTs)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.