Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so where is the leak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
My Tranz is at Dr. Evil's and I wanted to see if I could find a small leak that I see is coming out at the btm of the tranz/engine joint. Seams to be a small weep notch there.

I figured I would see it, but I don't, everything is pretty dry.

You can see the burnt seam goo I used from Type4 store.com. And the galley plugs are very clean. The cam plug is dry too. when I pulled the flywheel oil spilled out of the open part main seal, I fIgured that was normal, right?

I see what probably is clutch dust on the upper vertical tin.

Any ideas on the leak? Should I change the seal while I have all apart. It only has about 7000 miles on it.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

So does that leave the tranz and the source? I did not look closely at it before I shipped it off. But it had a new seal in it too.

Let me know if someone whats a close up picture of something.
r_towle
If it's not the cam plug, I would change the RMS while you have it out.
Make sure Mike changes the front seal on the tranny.

Rich
Dave_Darling
Gear oil smells much worse than engine oil. See if you can smell sulfur on the leak's residue.

--DD
malcolm2
just curious, anyone seen these BLACK spots on a 7000 mile flywheel?

I had it turned in 2012 as you can see.... should be Tenn "CLUTCH". blink.gif The measurements that I can measure are still withing the NEW range.

I remember about 1000 miles ago, I was backing up a driveway into the turnaround and had a ruff time off it.... Clutch wise. Steep driveway kinda thing.

Other than that I have had no significant events that would make me think this happened.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
It's measels, have you been vaccinated?
rjames
I don't see anything in the pic that looks like an oil leak, but it's hard to tell from the pics and without seeing it in person. As others have said, verify whether it's oil or trans fluid.

IMHO If the rear main seal isn't leaking and you only have 7k miles on it there's no need to change it.

Re flywheel marks: What does the clutch disk look like?

Additional things to check:
crankshaft end play
clutch fork end play ( Unfortunately, clutch and tranny need to be reinstalled to check this. )
Bulldog9
If not the rear main seal or other parts, what about that little o ring on the flywheel?
malcolm2
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Feb 10 2015, 01:45 PM) *

If not the rear main seal or other parts, what about that little o ring on the flywheel?

FW is out and the o-ring was in there. I'll pull it out and see if it is cut. I have a couple new ones, so it will be an easy replacement, regardless.
DRPHIL914
i went thru this last year and after rebuilding the trasmission and remounting it i found out the RMS was leaking so i had to again pull the trans and do the RMS. But whil i was in there my mechanic suggested using his meter to check for crankshaft endplay. good thing i did because it was out of spec , so the proper thickness of shimms were put in, new RMS and the flywheel remounted and it is back in spec. I actually replaced my flywheel and did the clutch, installed a new pressure plate and clutch disc as mine was a mess from all the oil.

- just make sure you check that end play and just do the RMS while you are there. .
malcolm2
QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 10 2015, 11:14 AM) *

Re flywheel marks: What does the clutch disk look like?

Pictures of the 7000 mile clutch. If you look closely, you can see a film of oil radiating out from the center. Especially in the close up...the word "GERMANY" is darker. Is it normal to have alittle oil on that plate?

Also, I found a NIB tranz shaft seal in my parts tub, so that tells me that I did not replace the seal in 2013 when I started driving. I remember thinking it would be difficult to do without the shaft being out, so I left the old one in.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ndfrigi
I just removed yesterday my pressure plate and disc on my 71 1.7. and this week trying to remove also same parts from my 75 1.8 FI.

Both 71 and 75 has the same worn on the plate and I believe usual wear and tear from the throw out bearing. Well on the 75 this is the first time I removed it since I bought the car last 2011 and seated on a driveway for 8 years as non-op from the previous owner. On the 71 looks newly replaced from the previous owner since he bought it last 3 years ago before I bought it last september.

The 75 1.8 has minor leak everytime I drive the car I will get a few drops from my garage floor and my guess it just need Flywheel seal/Rear main seal.

The 71 1.7 has a lot of dirt inside the flywheel but the middle area of the flywheel seems to be clean. I think the oil leak and dirt comes from the valve cover since the heat exchanger has a lot of oil and dirt and maybe the oil is just flying all over the transmission.

71 1.7
Click to view attachment

75 1.8
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
71 1.7

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
stugray
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 9 2015, 05:09 PM) *

just curious, anyone seen these BLACK spots on a 7000 mile flywheel?

I had it turned in 2012 as you can see.... should be Tenn "CLUTCH". blink.gif The measurements that I can measure are still withing the NEW range.

I remember about 1000 miles ago, I was backing up a driveway into the turnaround and had a ruff time off it.... Clutch wise. Steep driveway kinda thing.

Other than that I have had no significant events that would make me think this happened.

Click to view attachment

Those look like rust spots from the rivets that hold the clutch disk together.
Look at some of the pics further down from your post.

IPB Image

See how the rivets are all in the center section of the FW right where your "measels" are?
malcolm2
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 11 2015, 01:39 PM) *

Those look like rust spots from the rivets that hold the clutch disk together.
Look at some of the pics further down from your post.

IPB Image

See how the rivets are all in the center section of the FW right where your "measels" are?

I figured the rivets maybe, but I wonder if they are burns or for lack of a better term, cold spots? But they don't match up 1 to 1. on the clutch there are 2 rivets and a space. On the FW there are places with 4 or 5 spots in a row, equally spaced.

Like I said, I remember one problem backing up a steep driveway where it felt like the acted up. Also, mentioned that I was just curious if anyone had seen the spots before. I am certainly not going to do anything about it. driving-girl.gif

Seemed odd. confused24.gif
914Mels
Look like hot spots to me, the metal actually gets hot enough to change structure and makes a spot like that. They are real common on brake drums and brake rotors that have been overheated. If you have the flywheel resurfaced with a grinding wheel, it will get rid of them for a time but the change to the metal goes pretty deep and they will "pop" back up down the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.