Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone toy with the idea of an SRT4 turbo engine ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
IM thinking of taking the engine and harness out of my pt cruiser GT.
225 HP 4 cylinder with lots of bolt on mods to take it to 300.
rhodyguy
We have a HO GT too. I've wondered the same as you. Those Mitsubishi engines are pretty strong when the boost comes up. Popular with the 'tuner' crowd.
rnellums
What is the weight like? And more importantly what are your transmission options?
rhodyguy
if one could make the get getrag 5sp to work in a 914 it would be a sweet package. they are nice, positive shifting units. i KNOW the engine/trans is good for 120 (i had seen enough) in a much heavier car than a 914.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 12 2015, 09:47 PM) *

What is the weight like? And more importantly what are your transmission options?

Weight, length, height and depth?
got914?
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2015, 09:14 AM) *

I will go measure mine today and post. What ive read engine is 340 lbs or so.
Mueller
QUOTE(got914? @ Feb 13 2015, 06:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2015, 09:14 AM) *

I will go measure mine today and post. What ive read engine is 340 lbs or so.

That sounds about right, I've weighed 2 different motors I had at home not too long ago.

Volvo B230F, 4 cylinder, iron block, SOHC: 300 pounds

Volvo T5 5 cylinder, aluminum block, DOHC: 330 pounds

As for the Neon motor, sure it'll work and similar motors have been done before.

The question is can YOU do it....a shop will charge too much so it is up to you to fabricate the motor mounts, do all the wiring and all the related stuff to get it going.

Kennedy Engineering sells an adapter plate with the correct flywheel...expect to pay $500 to $800 for that setup.

Doing the Neon motor will be no different than the other inline 4 cylinder swaps that have been done before, such as the Honda or Mitsubishi swaps on the site.

VaccaRabite
The SRT engine will have the added challenges of turbocharging. It won't be a straight forward 4cyl swap. But, the outcome would be pretty rad.
Still, if it were me I'd go Suby simply to have a lot of the pitfalls done by all the others that have done the swap.

Zach
Mark Henry
The one I might consider out of the 4 cylinders is the GM Ecotec engine.
250lbs, aluminum block, KEP adaptor to VW trans already available, very cheap plentiful cores and all kinds of hop up options.

The Baja bug and sandrail crowd already use these because they weigh the same as a VW type one motor.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0...cotec-bolt-ons/
This one made 372HP

IPB Image
Andyrew
Boy that looks just like a VW/Audi 1.8 with a supercharger instead of a turbo...
Andyrew
The problem I have with superchargers and low displacement is that one of my primary reasons for a low displacement high hp motor is to be able to run on low HP.

For example if you are running anywhere near stock tire sizes your going to be spinning in first gear with over 300hp with most tire choices. With a turbo you can limit the boost in first and even second if you need it. You can also run WAY more power and be streetable on a turbo.

Just some food for thought.
Bulldog9
That EOTECH was a sweet motor, used in Saabs as well. hmmmm.......
crawler
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Feb 13 2015, 10:41 AM) *

Mabe,look into the Chevy 3.6 Camaro or the 2015 4.3 just like the V-8 only a v-6. Its not your old 4.3 anymore.
914forme
QUOTE(crawler @ Feb 13 2015, 04:07 PM) *

Mabe,look into the Chevy 3.6 Camaro or the 2015 4.3 just like the V-8 only a v-6. Its not your old 4.3 anymore.

SAE-certified at 285 horsepower (212 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (413 Nm)

Looks like a nice transition I need to change out my boat
mgp4591
QUOTE(crawler @ Feb 13 2015, 02:07 PM) *

Anyone ever try a Quad 4? idea.gif They were big with the Fiero crowd and may still be- I did a few one off exhaust systems for those back in the day. Good HP and compact, light too and revvy. One set records out here at Bonneville in an Olds experimental chassis. I don't know about availability tho... popcorn[1].gif
Is the PT turbo engine based on the 4AG Mitsubishi engine?
mikesmith
4AG is a Toyota motor. The PT motor is not a Mitsubishi design; confusion sometimes arises because it was used as the NA motor in the second-generation DSM lineup alongside the 4G63 turbo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.